Where the **** has Ed Reed been?

Advertisement
I will be interested to see how quickly the chief of staff role fades into oblivion once the Manny Diaz nightmare is over and the next coach is onboard. I would love to see Mario's face the first time somebody suggests a meeting with the chief of staff.

Wasn't he supposed to be the coach whisperer. The db whisperer? He's been completely silent and this crap is happening on his watch.

I want to hear from him.

What's his value anyway? Recruiting?
Just because u a Hof player and the goat safety doesn't mean u cut out for the job. Recruiting is a different animal and u can only make better with what u have. Apparently we don't have much.

Just because u a Hof player and the goat safety doesn't mean u cut out for the job. Recruiting is a different animal and u can only make better with what u have. Apparently we don't have much.
I wasn't a fan of making Reed a position coach yet. He seems a little arrogant and wants a larger coaching role without cutting his teeth first. I really thought this would be a win win for both. Reed gets some coaching exposure and Manny gets some insider championship tips.

How dumb was it for Manny to generate this **** show when he didn't even need too.

Advertisement
I go back a long way and love Ed Reed. I’m not exactly sure what he does ( which is an issue) but those saying they don’t blame him for collecting checks and sitting around are wrong. That’s obviously an issue if it’s accurate. From the performance of this team over the past 20 years, I would say it seems as though there are quite a lot of people on the payroll that aren’t very good at what they do. I wanted to see the Ed Reed on fire that I saw in Chestnut Hill. The guy that ripped the ball from his own teammate, ran the length of the field, spiked the ball in the endzone, and stuck a dagger into every BC fan and the rest of the college football world that thought the Canes would lose that day. That kind of will and determination has been missing from this program for going on 20 years. If a guy like Ed Reed has succumbed to the smoke and mirrors mediocrity, stick a fork in it, it’s done.

I wasn't a fan of making Reed a position coach yet. He seems a little arrogant and wants a larger coaching role without cutting his teeth first. I really thought this would be a win win for both. Reed gets some coaching exposure and Manny gets some insider championship tips.

How dumb was it for Manny to generate this **** show when he didn't even need too.
What can Reed tell him about winning a title? "Yo get the best players" I mean I'm sure Manny knows this but can't get it done. And guys like Reed it was obvious he wasn't going to be able to recruit. Even as a fan and u love a player... it's that recruits life and it's about taking care of themself....bags always win and if those places win that's where a kid will go. Usually those "hire ray Lewis as linebacker coach" types don't know wtf they are talking about.

What can Reed tell him about winning a title? "Yo get the best players" I mean I'm sure Manny knows this but can't get it done. And guys like Reed it was obvious he wasn't going to be able to recruit. Even as a fan and u love a player... it's that recruits life and it's about taking care of themself....bags always win and if those places win that's where a kid will go. Usually those "hire ray Lewis as linebacker coach" types don't know wtf they are talking about.
Theres something to coaching that goes beyond recruiting. Remember where we got the term Cokerized from?

Larry Coker had a championship winning machine already up and running. All he had to do was, as my dad used to say, "Hold it in the road". We had great player development, good coaches, great recruiting, steady flow of guys going to the NFL and this man couldn't even drive a working machine that coaches before him had driven successfully. 5 years later he had destroyed it. He had everything that he needed to win, he was just a bad head football coach. And he never got better.

There is an element to winning that some guys get and some guys just don't. But it can be learned (Mario Cristobal)

I was hoping being around a winner could help. It obviously didn't

And I agree former players without coaching experience more often than not do not make good position coaches, even when they had great careers.

if i were to be ed, i would just stay away as well.

he looked so deflated vs bama, i felt he was done with it

He probably just stayed home in Atlanta since that game. Or was he present versus App State or Michigan State?

Advertisement
Love E. Reed, but I don't think he's serious about being a coach.

He could easily be a DB coach any time he wanted, but it seems like he wants a P5 program to make him a coordinator or head coach on player reputation alone.

Doesn't really work that way at the higher levels.

Plenty of Hall of Fame players had to pay their dues and do grunt work as assistants or start at lower levels.

He doesn't seem interested in doing that.

He's just collecting a check. Can't knock the hustle.
Ed's a smart dude, and that's what made him an elite (arguably the best of all time) safety.

But he has mentioned several times, like you just mentioned - that he doesn't want to start from the bottom - being a position coach.

He wants to go right into being a HC at a P5 school.

No school in their right mind will do that, well, with Blake we might.

He could easily be a DB coach any time he wanted, but it seems like he wants a P5 program to make him a coordinator or head coach on player reputation alone.

Plenty of Hall of Fame players had to pay their dues and do grunt work as assistants or start at lower levels.

Deion is a prime example of this…

Then you go and look at guys like Trent Dilfer and Phil Rivers who also are starting coaching high school.

The thing is though with Ed is that I think he’d be more receptive to start out as a DB coach with maybe the “co-dc” title slapped on if the Head coach was someone he respected.

(Not my choice) but if say for example Rex Ryan became HC I could see Ed signing on.

Danny Miaz broke him.
ereed.jpg

Theres something to coaching that goes beyond recruiting. Remember where we got the term Cokerized from?

Larry Coker had a championship winning machine already up and running. All he had to do was, as my dad used to say, "Hold it in the road". We had great player development, good coaches, great recruiting, steady flow of guys going to the NFL and this man couldn't even drive a working machine that coaches before him had driven successfully. 5 years later he had destroyed it. He had everything that he needed to win, he was just a bad head football coach. And he never got better.

There is an element to winning that some guys get and some guys just don't. But it can be learned (Mario Cristobal)

I was hoping being around a winner could help. It obviously didn't

And I agree former players without coaching experience more often than not do not make good position coaches, even when they had great careers.
Recruiting fell off when Coker took over. Bad evals no matter what the rankings said. That's my opinion on that. He drove a talented team to a title cause of the roster and once the roster started turning bad he sucked

Advertisement

His back up in Baltimore Jim Leonhard got Wisconsin's def coordinator job after 1 year as DB coach, it's possible he looks at that situation and thinks he deserves the same since he had short coaching db stints in the NFL, I'm not sure how much he wants that coaching grind though he has a great life in Atlanta and a cigar business

I will be interested to see how quickly the chief of staff role fades into oblivion once the Manny Diaz nightmare is over and the next coach is onboard. I would love to see Mario's face the first time somebody suggests a meeting with the chief of staff.
That's why the chief needs to be hired first. Not the other way around. Waste James hired Diaz and said you are in charge. Clown show.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back