What Miami fans can take away from ND's turn around

Larry

All-American
(all stats from prior to USC game, but still relevant regardless)

Running Game
-4.99ypc (28th nationally...Magic Number is 5ypc)
-40 attempts per game (36th nationally)

Defensive Front Seven Play
- 33 Sacks (16th Nationally)
- 24% Red Zone TD% (1st Nationally) - 63% RZ Score% (5th Nationally)

Defensive Back Play
-5.7ypad (10th nationally)
-7 Passing Touchdowns Allowed (5th nationally)
-105 QBR Defense (12th nationally)
-29 plays of 20+ yards allowed (2nd nationally)

Still the model for success in college football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Their interior DLine sets the foundation for the entire team. We're at least 2 years away from any kind of sustained dominance in that area.

We can't run the ball like we need to, until our defense is ready.

That ain't make no sense, fella.

When your defense is one of the worst in college football, you will be frequently trailing in games. You will need to be able to score quickly, and ball control won't cut it.

If your defense can't defend, you can't build a team around hoping you receive the ball first, have an 8 minute drive to begin the game, kicking a field goal, and then playing downhill the rest of the game.

Advertisement
Their interior DLine sets the foundation for the entire team. We're at least 2 years away from any kind of sustained dominance in that area.

My thoughts as well.

Does your opinion about needing two years change if Porter comes back and we get 1-2 JUCO's?

As I said in the other thread, if Porter stays, I think we take a leap next year. I think we take another leap the following year. "Sustained dominance" is a high bar, though. It'd have to be a special JuCo player to get anywhere near that next year, I think.

I don't want to overdo it, but I think Pierre is an NFL player. I think he and Mccord (if he hits the roids/weights) are the most likely to change our defensive expectations.

This. We are nowhere near where we need to be on the defensive line. Guys like McCord, Hamilton, Rico Williams, Ivery, Moore have a big time offseason in front of them.

We will never amount to anything more than 9-3 with this defensive coach. I have accepted that and will be ok with 9-3 forever

Advertisement
We can't run the ball like we need to, until our defense is ready.

That ain't make no sense, fella.

When your defense is one of the worst in college football, you will be frequently trailing in games. You will need to be able to score quickly, and ball control won't cut it.

If your defense can't defend, you can't build a team around hoping you receive the ball first, have an 8 minute drive to begin the game, kicking a field goal, and then playing downhill the rest of the game.

Again, that ain't make no sense and defies not only logic, but what we saw on the field.

The defense, however, proved that when you didn't keep them on the field for 35m a game, they would be able to curb their poor play and curb the "burden" the offense was in by having to make up for their inability to stop anyone.

UNC Game, FSU Game for 3 Quarters (FSU had the ball for 22 of 30m in the second half), and USF.

If you look at our most ridiculous games that were back and forth affairs...UVA, GT, NCST, and BC...Miami lost the time of possession battle on average of 7m per game. That's huge.

Also, why does our defense being poor mean we have to go on 8m drives that result in a field goal v. 2m drives that result in long touchdowns? Why not have 8m drives that result in touchdowns? Miami had to have been one of the worst team's in college football in giving up first scores and giving up scores after scores.

This. We are nowhere near where we need to be on the defensive line. Guys like McCord, Hamilton, Rico Williams, Ivery, Moore have a big time offseason in front of them.

Notre Dame did it by their third year and have a defensive line whose best players are a true sophomore and true junior and the two deep on defense has like 16 "Brian Kelly Guys" aka, guys he recruited (true juniors, true sophomores, and freshmenz).

We had 13 sacks and god knows how few qb hurries to go with that. Those numbers need to double to even be a decent defense.

Advertisement

Notre Dame did it by their third year and have a defensive line whose best players are a true sophomore and true junior and the two deep on defense has like 16 "Brian Kelly Guys" aka, guys he recruited (true juniors, true sophomores, and freshmenz).

So do you think Porter, Pierre and Robinson will be sufficient to reach that status?

They had one drive late in the game where they ran the ball 5 straight times and moved it like 70 yards. Our lines are not in the same atmosphere when it comes to physicality as the top teams. UF and ND were the two that stood out yesterday when comparing them to us. On both sides of the football, their lines dominate. We are laughably behind them in that regard.

Not too often you see a team as talented as USC get down to the goal line and you actually feel like they are at a disadvantage. Nix made some NFL money last night.

Advertisement
Back