What Is A Louisville, And How Do They Football?

View as article

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
Miami is playing in the Russell Athletic Bowl against the Louisville Cardinals. But who are they really? Lets find out.

2.jpg

In case you don't already know, Miami has been selected to play Louisville in the Russell Athletic Bowl on December 28th. We apparently were in the running for the Chick-fil-A Bowl, but ACC commissioner John Swofford lobbied hard for Duke to go in our place. Swofford got what he wanted. U mad? Don't be. Instead, be mad at our team for not beating Duke. If we won the Coastal, and got jobbed like that for a team we blew out, you'd be pist off if Swofford didn't lobby for you. In fact he did just that for us with the Gator Bowl in 2009, but the Gator told him to kick rocks and took FSU instead.

I have to admit it feels good to be back in post season play, even though it's not the caliber of bowl game that we would prefer. The players seem excited:

24.png

25.png

I'm interested to see how well Golden can prepare for a bowl opponent. It was one of Randy's many negatives. Hopefully with Al he'll show us he's great at getting his team focused on a single opponent with 3 weeks to prepare. It's been three years since Miami played in a bowl game, and seven years since they were victorious in one. So beating this team in particular to get to 10 wins will go a long way in alleviating the butt-hurtedness throughout the fanbase over not winning the Coastal. At least it will for me.

That's how much Teddy Bridgewater and Clint Hurtt rustle my jimmies. I can't quite put into words how pist off I'll be if Bridgewater puts a bow on his college career by lighting up our defense in a bowl victory. We haven't played them in seven years, and outside of Teddy Bridgewater, I really couldn't care less about their team. There are a ton of story lines and subplots to this game, and I'll go further into them the week of the bowl game. Until then, there's this.

Where Do They Football?:

26.png

Louisville plays in the American Athletic Conference. The AAC, as currently constructed, is basically the crappy leftovers of the Big East mixed with the tallest midgets from Conference USA. Rutgers is bolting to the Big 10, and Louisville will be replacing Maryland in the Atlantic side of the ACC. It's basically the Sun-Belt on a 3 day blue magic bender. I'd be pretty shocked if they keep up their winning ways once they move over.

Who Did They Football?:

27.png

Their schedule was even weaker than ours. The lone slip up was against UCF and I gotta say, 4 or 5 current ACC schools could probably run the table with that schedule. In fact, it should be a fireable offense to not run the table with that schedule. It will be interesting to see the effort and chippy-ness of this game with so many Florida kids on both teams.

How Do They Football?:

3.jpg

You know who he is, where he's from, and the circumstances of him getting there. You also already know that he's their whole team. Sure, they've got some weapons at every skill position, but he's the reason they've been so good for the past 2 years (including a Sugar Bowl win last year). They've also got lots of south Florida kids on their roster. About 10 to 12 guys who you'll instantly remember if you follow recruiting at all. They're all going to be amped up for this game.

Statistically, they're one of the best teams we will have faced all year:

28.png

The stats speak for themselves. They put up points and are really good at preventing their opponents from doing the same. They've got a Heisman caliber QB that will go in the 1st round of the next draft if he feels like leaving early. The ground game is basically running back by committee. Whoever gets the bulk of the carries for them will no doubt run all over us. The defense is solid, but it's hard to tell how good it really is since they've played no one. UCF and Cincinnati are the only schools that scored more than 17 points against them.

Given our defense's struggles in the 2nd half of the season, we're probably going to have to win a shoot-out. Bring it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
With that schedule they are not battle tested. I expect that to give us an advantage and ultimately I think we win. Yes our defense sucks but I think a good running team exploits us more than a good passing team. I think we win in a higher scoring matchup.

Advertisement
Obnoxious fan base. Witnessed it first hand in New Orleans last year for New Years

With that schedule they are not battle tested. I expect that to give us an advantage and ultimately I think we win. Yes our defense sucks but I think a good running team exploits us more than a good passing team. I think we win in a higher scoring matchup.

slightly disagree. A team with a balanced offense, one that is capable of passing and a decent run game gives us the most trouble. We did fine when we played teams that only ran the ball. Then UNC hit us. Their run game is nothing special, but it was their passing game that opened everything up.

With dnofrio playing a scared defense against any team that can move the ball more than 5 yards vertically, he plays 15 yards off the LOS giving the qb all day with no pressure and space for the rb to gain momentum for big runs.

What scares me is that Teddy very well may dink and dunk us the entire day for something crazy like 75% passing and moving the ball all day up and down the field.

This should be an energetic game. Bunch of guys on that team that were once committed to miami. This is where AG and company show them that they made a mistake flipping to Loserville.

Looking forward to seeing us down the ball to kill the clock.

I hope McCord and AQM get plenty of snaps in this game. Speed rushers cause Teddy problems..

Advertisement
This team and Al need to show a sign, any sign that they can beat a team with a pulse. Louisville is a good football team with the best quarterback in the nation, skill position players to match up and a very strong defense. We haven't won a game like this in a long time.

Did you miss that second half of our year? Pitt, VT, and Virginia weren't good running teams and they were running up and down the field. If they want to run they can do so with ease.

Advertisement
Louisville is fired about playing in this game, both the fans and players.

Miami fans aren't excited but since our seniors never won a bowl game, they SHOULD be pumped.

hope we don't come out flat like UFail last year

Beat Loserville

and I better not see those NW kids throwing up the 503 like Freeman

Advertisement
Louisville is a basketball school, they belong in Conference USA, this bowl game is a joke and the only good thing that can happen is if we break Teddy Bridgewater's neck and he never plays another down of football again.

Louisville is a basketball school, they belong in Conference USA, this bowl game is a joke and the only good thing that can happen is if we break Teddy Bridgewater's neck and he never plays another down of football again.

...When keeping it real goes wrong. Somebody takes a game he, presumably, no longer plays too seriously

Advertisement
Back