What happens with these transfers like Cade Weldon

fraggle

Senile Senior
don't get picked up another team? Can they stay? are they out of football? What?

Advertisement
Just me, but if a player put his name in the portal then tried to come back in my locker room he'd have a hard time earning back my respect and trust.

Advertisement
Just me, but if a player put his name in the portal then tried to come back in my locker room he'd have a hard time earning back my respect and trust.

Interesting take. I wonder if you extend that opinion to professional athletes as well. If an NFL player is in the last year of his contract and chooses to see what level of interest exists in the marketplace for him, do you also believe he loses respect in his existing locker room?

The reason I ask is because free agency is what is being created at the college level. My guess is that culture within the locker room will quickly adapt to it, just as pro sports did after free agency was created in the mid 1970's.

Last edited:
What about JT he completely left.
JT has to earn the coaches and his teammates trust back mainly his teammates because some of these coaches weren’t around last year and everyone’s pretty much given a clean slate. Also, JT is one of the best players on the team and Weldon wasn’t gonna see the field at all so it’s ok if he walks.

Advertisement
what ever happened to that 4* qb Danny Clark that was on low on the depth chart at Kentucky? Think his brother plays for Baga.

JT has to earn the coaches and his teammates trust back mainly his teammates because some of these coaches weren’t around last year and everyone’s pretty much given a clean slate. Also, JT is one of the best players on the team and Weldon wasn’t gonna see the field at all so it’s ok if he walks.
So because JT is good He gets the chance but Cade can’t. We don’t have much of a team of this is the case.

Advertisement
Interesting take. I wonder if you extend that opinion to professional athletes as well. If an NFL player is in the last year of his contract and chooses to see what level of interest exists in the marketplace for him, do you also believe he lose respect in his existing locker room?

I agree that the locker room will quickly adapt

The reason I ask this is because free agency is what is being created at the college level. My guess is that culture within the locker room will quickly adapt to it, just as pro sports did after free agency was created in the mid 1970's.
Interesting take. I wonder if you extend that opinion to professional athletes as well. If an NFL player is in the last year of his contract and chooses to see what level of interest exists in the marketplace for him, do you also believe he lose respect in his existing locker room?

The reason I ask this is because free agency is what is being created at the college level. My guess is that culture within the locker room will quickly adapt to it, just as pro sports did after free agency was created in the mid 1970's.

The situation with Cade is a little different bc the writing was on the wall that he would never see the field, but if Ezzard or Cager tried to withdraw from the portal I think they would have a hard time in the locker room.

The NFL is different to me bc players are under actual contracts and are just making the best decision for them and their families. I do agree that the college locker room will adapt quickly to free agency and I'll even take your comment a step further and say I think we are near the end of amateurism in CFB too.

Jarren Williams? Jeff Thomas?

Don't think Jarren officially entered the portal but u can bet that JT is trying to earn the trust and respect back from some of his teammates and coaches every day. I'm not naive though, I played sports and know that when u are a special athlete u get special treatment. I made the same mistake JT did when I was a sophomore and the rival head coach came to my house and recruited me. His exact quote was "There's no detention at Central" lol I was sold. Had to work harder than most to earn that starting spot.

Speaking of Ezzard, it seems he petitioned for a waiver to play right away, too. I saw a bunch of posts last night referencing Tate's clearance and claiming Ezzard should have his waiver cleared, too. Will be interesting to see what happens with that.......

Advertisement
The situation with Cade is a little different bc the writing was on the wall that he would never see the field, but if Ezzard or Cager tried to withdraw from the portal I think they would have a hard time in the locker room.

The NFL is different to me bc players are under actual contracts and are just making the best decision for them and their families. I do agree that the college locker room will adapt quickly to free agency and I'll even take your comment a step further and say I think we are near the end of amateurism in CFB too.

FL high schools have had free agency for years, not to mention the 7on7 circuit. In true miami mercenary fashion we became overlords of the transfer portal before the rest of the country could pull their pants up. Free Agency will have little to no effect on UM imo, i could certainly see it have an effect on the schools full of overachievers though.

FL high schools have had free agency for years, not to mention the 7on7 circuit. In true miami mercenary fashion we became overlords of the transfer portal before the rest of the country could pull their pants up. Free Agency will have little to no effect on UM imo, i could certainly see it have an effect on the schools full of overachievers though.

Yeah, for as long as there is a transfer portal Miami will have its choosing of the players they want. Also think USC will be able to get top players that left Cali to come east and are wanting to return home.

Advertisement
Back