Week 3 Primer: SoFla High School Football

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Read here for the biggest games and match ups for the third week of football in Miami-Dade and Broward.

Belen Jesuit-Gulliver (Friday, 4PM, @Gulliver): This will be another test for the Wolverines, as they have dropped their first two games of the season against Hialeah and Columbus. Gulliver is also coming into the game at 0-2, as they've lost to Chaminade-Madonna and Dade Christian. I think Belen should be able to pull it out. They are historically a team that improves as the season goes on and that could be the case again this year. They will need to make huge strides soon to be able to compete in their district.

Booker T. Washington-Cedar Hill (Tx.) (Saturday, 4:30PM): The F-5 Tornadoes will travel to Texas to face Cedar Hill after suffering a heartbreaking loss against Central last week. The Booker T defense will be tested yet again, as Cedar Hill has two receivers committed to Texas A&M, and a quarterback committed to Arkansas State. I expect for the Miami side to bounce back from last week and come out of Texas with a win.

Southridge-Columbus (Friday, 7:30PM, @Tropical Park): The highly-anticipated game between the Explorers and Spartans will have a different look than we thought it would. Columbus will be without multiple starters, including QB Tucker Beirne and two starting offensive linemen. Southridge will be coming into the game hungry after their disappointing performance last week against Homestead, when they lost 14-0. This game is worth going to if you can make it out because we will see the match up of Miami commitment Jamal Carter against FSU commit Jesus Wilson. Carter and Wilson are very close so it will be interesting to see the back-and-forth between them in this game. Wilson has been tearing it up the last few weeks, as he has scored in all three games and had a career performance against Aquinas. If the Spartans play how they did last week, Columbus wins easily, but I see Southridge coming out with much more energy and making this a tight game.

Coral Reef-Homestead (Friday, 7:30PM, @Harris Field): This is a very intriguing game. Coral Reef is led by the combo is QB Nico Pierre and WR Jake McCrary and won their first game 67-0 against a much weaker Hialeah Gardens team. The question for Homestead will be what team shows up? They lost their first game 42-21 to Killian, but then came out the next week to beat Southridge 14-0. A key for Homestead will be keeping Ermon Lane involved in the offense. They were much more successful offensively last week when they stuck with a power running scheme, as opposed to when they were spreading it out against Killian. Even though it worked for them last week, they still need to get the ball in his hands. This is a very tough one to call, but I will go with Homestead.

Carol City-Jackson (Friday, 7:30PM, @Traz): If you're a fan of great athletes at the quarterback position, this is the game to go to. Carol City is coming into the game at 1-1, and Jackson is at 2-0. The Chiefs are led by senior QB Akeem Jones, while the Generals are led by junior Quinton Flowers. Flowers has lit it up the last two weeks, scoring through the air and on the ground. It will be a high-scoring affair and I like CC to come out on top.

Central-Manatee (Friday, 7:30PM, @Manatee): Leaving the best for last, this should be an incredible game to watch with an overload of D1 talent on the field. The Rockets are coming off of their huge comeback win over Booker T last week, which was sparked by Dalvin Cook's pick-6 and Joseph Yearby's play at quarterback. This will be a whole new test for Central, as they will be facing what most consider as the best defensive line in the country. Basically, this is a match up of best running back combo (now QB-RB combo) in the country vs. the best front 4 in the country. Manatee took it to the young Miramar Patriots a couple weeks ago, but I don't see that happening this week. I like the Rockets to come out of Bradenton with a W.

South Plantation-Hallandale (Friday, 7PM, @Hallandale): This is a very good game between two 2-0 teams. The Hallandale defense will have their hands full with Miami commit Alex Collins, who has over 450 yards in two games. Hallandale defeated Northeast 23-12 last weekend was led by Freshman QB Tyler Huntley, who has looked very good in his team's first two games. I think South Plantation could wear down the Hallandale defense, but wouldn't be surprised to see them pull of the win.

Miramar-Northeast (Friday, 7PM, @Northeast): Miramar had a solid 42-20 victory against Ely last week, recovering from a week 1 loss to Manatee. Stacy Coley's Northeast squad fell to Hallandale and comes into this game at 1-1. Miramar should win this game with ease, but you can never count out a special player such as Coley to be able to keep his team in the game. Cameron Underwood will have full coverage of this matchup.

Don Bosco Prep (NJ)-St. Thomas Aquinas (Friday, 8PM, @Aquinas): The Raiders welcome in the New Jersey powerhouse for a nationally televised matchup. Don Bosco is led by highly-rated DE Al-Quadin Muhammad, who Miami has been recruiting. I see STA's balance being too much for the New Jersey side and I think they win big.

University School-Cocoa (Friday, 7PM, @Cocoa): The high-powered U-School spread offense has put up 113 points in their last two games. This will be an interesting contrast of styles, as Cocoa likes to pound the rock right at opposing defenses. Tarean Folston and Antwan Lee will provide a huge challenge for the sometimes shaky University defense. I see University winning this game, but it may be a lower scoring game than they are used to.

Advertisement
Advertisement
16-0 Manatee. Early 2nd qtr. Manatee's stuffing that run game without loading the box, those two DT's look great.

Advertisement
That is one Muhammed Golden better not insult. Kid is a beast. DBP on the other hand had their best player transfer and is rebuilding.

BTW, the kid who left Jabrill Peppers is probably the #1 kid overall in the 2014 class. Hope we have a shot.

Yearby, with another td run. 23-14 manatee. Yearby has been their most effective weapon, whether lined up at QB or RB. Cook hasn't gotten too many touches. On a few plays, he's lined up at WR.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back