We have some **** good players

Great post, I'm glad you put this up, this goes back to what I kept telling the clowns who kept criticizing garvin last year, in season just because he didn't have a high number of sacks, the way garvin played the run last year, the qb pressures, and often times he was just 1 or 2 steps away from getting the sacks but jock rousseau was just a tad bit quicker. And the same thing basically happened to joe jackson. To many stat and star gazers being lazing and not even trying to learn the game, just blabbing off at the mouth.

Like the other, a **** posted how disappointed he was in chaney, you know when a **** says, "well it didn't come right, what I was trying to" we all know WTF that means.
Nah Phillip’s plays way harder than garvin did and it’s not even close. Garvin was just loafing, look at how much he impressed at the packers training camp, that tells you all you need to know. Was routinely beating whoever was lined up against him

Advertisement
I saw 29 with blanket coverage, the pass was completed but he was all over his guy. 4th quarter. Maybe he has some game.
I'm still optimistic about our CBs steadily improving throughout the season. We need to recruit this position at a much higher level going forward but there is some talent here to work with.

Blades is really starting to come on and I'm seeing some very good things from Couch. Sure TC gave up some catches but I can see excellent potential in his man coverage ability and his willingness to stick his nose into the fray. Couch is certainly not afraid of contact and loves to strip WRs of the ball as evidenced by his 2 FF in 2 games. Kid can be a good one. Dunson and Clarke have the ability and will each have every opportunity to earn more PT. I can see these 2 gradually developing over the course of the season as Dunson has flashed man coverage ability and Clarke seems to have good instincts and a knack for making plays on the ball(Had most INTs in fall camp). Believe it or not I'm not throwing in the towel on Ivey. The kid isn't going to become Darrelle Revis or Patrick Petersen but I think he has it in him to be a bit more than serviceable if he applies himself. Ivey's biggest problem is between the ears as he lacks focus and mental discipline.

Last edited:
Hadn’t seen that. But even if true, you have to consider Houston is the fourth most populated city in the US, with nearly five times the number of people Miami does.
Yeah I take that into account. I would still say Miami produces more talent more frequently. Our number should be much higher

With all of are best players coming from the Portal that kind of tells you either are coaching or recruiting is not up to par. Might be better off just using the portal much more every year and only go after high 4 and 5 star kids that are already coached well.

Nah Phillip’s plays way harder than garvin did and it’s not even close. Garvin was just loafing, look at how much he impressed at the packers training camp, that tells you all you need to know. Was routinely beating whoever was lined up against him
I'm not sure why you labeling garvin a loafer, he was around top 5 in the country for tackles for loss and in the top echelon for qb pressures in 2018, 2019, like joe jackson before him, he got moved to the strong side of the d-line, still almost had double digit tfl's, let's see phillips put a whole year on tape first and play against stronger competition but he's definitely an athlete.

Advertisement
I'm still optimistic about our CBs steadily improving throughout the season. We need to recruit this position at a much higher level going forward but there is some talent here to work with.

Blades is really starting to come on and I'm seeing some very good things from Couch. Sure TC gave up some catches but I can see excellent potential in his man coverage ability and his willingness to stick his nose into the fray. Couch is certainly not afraid of contact and loves to strip WRs of the ball as evidenced by his 2 FF in 2 games. Kid can be a good one. Dunson and Clarke have the ability and will each have every opportunity to earn more PT. I can see these 2 gradually developing over the course of the season as Dunson has flashed man coverage ability and Clarke seems to have good instincts and a knack for making plays on the ball(Had most INTs in fall camp). Believe it or not I'm not throwing in the towel on Ivey. The kid isn't going to become Darrelle Revis or Patrick Petersen but I think he has it in him to be a bit more than serviceable if he applies himself. Ivey's biggest problem is between the ears as he lacks focus and mental discipline.
Our boy Ivey got dog in em, I'm never worried when he's out on the field myself. Also the good thing about ivey, he's a guy that helps to make your program stronger, cause he compete's and a player has to beat him out, while some may think that's not hard to do, but ivey does way more good than be does bad. The main problem with the secondary is one, baker keeps flip flopping to much between man and zone and mostly wants to call zone coverages on 3rd downs while sending blitzes, that's scared man football, it opens up to many windows, this is the type of defense we use to round here, no confusion:

I'm not sure why you labeling garvin a loafer, he was around top 5 in the country for tackles for loss and in the top echelon for qb pressures in 2018, 2019, like joe jackson before him, he got moved to the strong side of the d-line, still almost had double digit tfl's, let's see phillips put a whole year on tape first and play against stronger competition but he's definitely an athlete.
Garvin absolutely loaded his junior year, I said It throughout the season and scouts were saying it when reviewing his film which is why he almost went undrafted

Advertisement
Agree. I’ve been saying it since late last year
Most of these dudes are bozos. They see a lanky freshman TE being asked to inline block and getting physically overwhelmed, and they decide he sucks. Nothing can change their empty minds after that initial impression.

They were asking Mallory to do things he shouldn't have been doing, which is exactly why our offense stunk like rotten garbage. Now, we have a real OC, and Mallory is being asked to do what he should be doing. Our 1-2 TE punch is as good as anyone's in football.

Most of these dudes are bozos. They see a lanky freshman TE being asked to inline block and getting physically overwhelmed, and they decide he sucks. Nothing can change their empty minds after that initial impression.

They were asking Mallory to do things he shouldn't have been doing, which is exactly why our offense stunk like rotten garbage. Now, we have a real OC, and Mallory is being asked to do what he should be doing. Our 1-2 TE punch is as good as anyone's in football.
Looking forward to seeing more of him this year.

Our boy Ivey got dog in em, I'm never worried when he's out on the field myself. Also the good thing about ivey, he's a guy that helps to make your program stronger, cause he compete's and a player has to beat him out, while some may think that's not hard to do, but ivey does way more good than be does bad. The main problem with the secondary is one, baker keeps flip flopping to much between man and zone and mostly wants to call zone coverages on 3rd downs while sending blitzes, that's scared man football, it opens up to many windows, this is the type of defense we use to round here, no confusion:

I agree 100% and this is really the root of my problem with Baker. He treats this secondary with kid gloves by calling soft zone after soft zone when he blitzes. What really infuriates me isn't just that he calls zone. It's that the super soft zone we were playing behind our attacking front 7 was so passive that if Cunningham could get the snap and get a throw off it was a guaranteed 1st down and more.

@Coach Macho was talking about this. He can explain it better but we were playing this soft zone with outside leverage and where giving the WRs a free release. Consequently any time a WR ran an in breaking route there was absolutely no one there, just wide open green grass for 1st down after 1st down. It's as though Baker was willing to concede first downs in these situations in exchange for the security of knowing that they weren't giving up a score on the play lol. That is coaching scared!

I can understand wanting to protect the secondary to a point but this is just way over the top. Our CBs may not be AA level but when our front 7 is putting the type of pressure on QBs that we are putting on them you have to give your CBs the ability to make plays. Baker still has the training wheels on.

Last edited:

Anyone with half a brain and any common sense whatsoever knew Mallory had tremendous potential. The way he is playing now is hardly a surprise and to be honest we haven't seen the true damage that this TE duo is capable of doing.

With a real OC and King at QB with the elite talent at RB and the speed at WR I just don't see how defenses are going to be able to deal with Jordan and Mallory on the field at the same time.

Advertisement

Mallory is Herndon 2.0 when he gets to the league. Will probably be drafted 3-5 round and be an absolute steal.

Brevin on the other hand is what the Bucs thought Oj Howard would be. He’s a star and his star will shine in the league.

I didnt understand the Mallory hate, dude was a jumbo WR in high school who split out.. Needd time to mature and gain strength to hold his own inline. He wasnt supposed to play much freshman year but we had multiple injuries and he was forced to.. He flashed when given a chance last year which should of been his redshirt fr year..

Tried to tell em offseason that he is on schedule, everyone isnt a beast in one year, have some patience and let the kid develop naturally and he will bear fruit. Kid is smart from recruitment and has right mindset playing with Jordan, Im rooting for him to ball out.. He is a problem.

Olsen went through many of the same things as Mallory. Nobody says he is soft anymore.

If Mallory maintains this physicality he will be a star.

Advertisement
I agree 100% and this is really the root of my problem with Baker. He treats this secondary with kid gloves by calling soft zone after soft zone when he blitzes. What really infuriates me isn't just that he calls zone. It's that the super soft zone we were playing behind our attacking front 7 was so passive that if Cunningham could get the snap and get a throw off it was a guaranteed 1st down and more.

@Coach Macho was talking about this. He can explain it better but we were playing this soft zone with outside leverage and where giving the WRs a free release. Consequently any time a WR ran an in breaking route there was absolutely no one there, just wide open green grass for 1st down after 1st down. It's as though Baker was willing to concede first downs in these situations in exchange for the security of knowing that they weren't giving up a score on the play lol. That is coaching scared!

I can understand wanting to protect the secondary to a point but this is just way over the top. Our CBs may not be AA level but when our front 7 is putting the type of pressure on QBs that we are putting on them you have to give your CBs the ability to make plays. Baker still has the training wheels on.
It's as if coach baker primarily runs the same scared *** defense coach diaz called in the ACC championship game on 2nd or 3rd and longs. In fact, they basically are simply running 3-4 blitzing scheme concepts out of this 4-2-5 system they trying to run. The db's don't need protecting at UM, that's what you got safeties or a 1 high safety for. Should be a fun game tonight, blake baker vs ken dillingham, the reason some coaches don't know what to expect or get a feel of what they are going to get from their team is because they themselves run to much inconsistent non-sense.

Press man allows you to see if the opposing qb is accurate or not, people keep talking about that Louisville offense, we fundamentally played it wrong. The linebacker play is going to continue to be difficult, on stretch teams at some point you got start slanting the d-linemen and have the linebackers clean up, that instantly takes away running lanes.

When our guys pursue the ball on defense, to many times I'm seeing guys running to the ball and going for fakes and moves they don't have to when a teammate is running beside them who can leverage them out. To many players taking false steps, falls directly back on the scheme.

If another team makes plays, ok, but scheme wise, we should never be giving nothing away.

Advertisement
Back