Wake Forest Game Day - Week 7

View as article

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
The football season is already halfway over. Miami begins the 2nd half of the regular season against Wake Forest. Get Hyped.

3.png

Pretty slow news week, eh? We escaped the onslaught of upsets in the college football world last week, and kept our undefeated season alive by pulling out a win in Chapel Hill. After that we showed up in the top 10 in this season's 1st release of the BCS standings. It's the 1st time in forever that we appeared that high. To top it all off, we finally got a resolution to the Shapiro nonsense.

Gif that sums up every Miami fan's feelings midway through this season:

658.gif

Right now Al Golden is every Miami fan's personal Luck Dragon. By the way, we actually have another game this week. We've had so much off the field news about the team since our last game ended it's like there wasn't any time to focus on our next opponent. It's Wake Forest in case you forgot.

This game was designated the Employee Day game this season so that means we'll have a bigger than normal crowd than a typical noon game. The Athletic Department started another Operation Sellout campaign for this game as well, and according to UM there's about 3,800 tickets left. No idea how many actual people will show up since UM typically goes by tickets distributed when calculating attendance. Also, there's no telling whether or not the tarps will still be up in the corners of the upper deck. Either way, it should be a better than normal game atmosphere.

What we do know is that we will be flying a banner over the grounds of Sun Life Stadium from 9am to 11am. And by "we" I mean every joke that's a part of this knuckle-headed community here at CanesInSight. It thanks everyone associated with the University, Athletic Department, and the team. Props to RohanMotor for suggesting it, LuCane for setting it all up with the vendors, and every single one of you guys that helped by donating to the cause. It feels awesome to finally be able to fly banners thanking the people associated with our football team for their hard work...instead of always having to clamor for their ouster.

20.png

Where: Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins/Dolphin/Land Shark/Sun Life Stadium

Who: Wake Forest Demon Deacons (4-3) v. #6 Miami Hurricanes (6-0)

When: 12:00 pm/et

How:
364.gif

4 story lines for UM in this game:

1. Can Miami contain Mike Campanaro?
2. Can Miami's OL block Nikita Whitlock?
3. Can Miami avoid coming out flat?
4. Can Miami stop it with the turnovers already?

Since they don't run the ball all that well, Campanaro is pretty much Wake's entire offense. He has 55 receptions already, which is more than 4 times as many as the 2nd leading receiver on their team. So shutting him down would go a long way in shutting down Wake's offense. Having said that, shutting him down is a lot easier said than done. It's not like every other team the Deac's have faced failed to realize he was they're best offensive player. Whoever the coaches try to match up with him will have they're hands full.

You'd think that if our opponent started a 5'10 250 lb. defensive tackle it would be an advantage for us. Not so with Wake Forest. Nikita Whitlock wreaks havoc on opposing teams' backfields for fun. It's pretty bizarre. Whoever is responsible for him, be it Bunche, McDermott, Wheeler, or Feliciano is going to have their work cut out for him.

It's natural to have a let down after an emotional comeback like the UNC game last week. And like I said earlier, we've had a ton of off the field news this week. Distractions like that can get into the heads of lesser a team's players. I like the decision by Al Golden to keep the boys away from the press following the NCAA news. None of the questions by the media would have been about Wake Forest this week. Lets hope it pays off.

Our offense has turned the ball over 12 times in the last 3 games. T-W-E-L-V-E. That is bad (#analysis). Morris is responsible for 6 of those during that span. Gotta get that cleaned up. By the way if you haven't already, give this breakdown of all 8 interceptions thrown by Stephen Morris a read. It was written by Vish from Sebastian's Pub (the guy who dropped a steamer on Charles Robinson), so that automatically means it's going to be good.

5.jpg

Making awful photoshops is fun. We need some CanesInSight beer koozies.

Last time they met: October 31, 2009

[video=youtube;hmLPLOCrIfg]www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmLPLOCrIfg[/video]

Who knew that 2 of the best players on that team would turn out to be Jimmy Graham and Sam Shields? Which reminds me...and I know we only had Jimmy Graham for 1 year, but think about how he was utilized here versus how he's used in the NFL. He had 1 catch for 2 yards in this game.

What people were saying after our glorious victory:

We weren't around for this game in 2009, so I once again turned to CanesOverHere for reference.

This comes from a thread titled: I'm Done With Shannon

Rip said:
MadCane said:
Does this win do anything for the recently converted "done with Shannon" crowd?

Probably not. **** of a lot uglier than the Clempson loss. At least the O performed well last week.

I'm now officially on the fence about Shannon, for the first time in his tenure. This team should be rounding into form right now and gearing up for a BCS push - a la USC, Oregon, U***, Bama, Texas, etc. Instead we're struggling with average ACC programs. As DCF noted earlier in this very thread, it seems like there's always a massive breakdown by at least one part of the team every week, be it offense, defense, special teams.

My hope is that the injuries are really taking its toll. My fear is that our talent doesn't mean as much later in the season, when other teams catch up due to their superior coaching.

I still can't believe how close that game ended up being. If we hadn't concussed Riley Skinner there's no doubt in my mind that he drives down the field and into field goal range with 1:08 still on the clock.

Know your enemy: Blogger So Dear

What they're saying:

BJohnston said:
With Coley's offense still somewhat similar to the sets used by Fisch last year, the Hurricanes' offense has only continued to improve as the season progresses. The Canes rank an impressive 28th in the nation in pass offense last year, and even more impressively has moved the football on the ground and ranks 22nd in rush offense. Back Duke Johnson is also expected to play after leaving last week's matchup with UNC. Overall the Hurricanes rank 16th in the nation in total offense and are going to be very difficult to stop. The Deacs will need to get penetration into the backfield and shut down Johnson and Morris to have any shot at all. Wake has been hot lately but the Canes will present the second biggest challenge of the year so far.

Pretty accurate assessment I'd say. Again, blocking Nikita Whitlock will be essential.

10.png
Miami Notes

1. Miami focuses on Wake Forest after NCAA news.
2. Vinny Testaverde will be the honorary captain today.
3. Donna Shalala is 'bout that life.

36.jpg

/hcanes100

65.png
Wake Forest Notes

1. Offensive lineman Steven Chase is coming on strong.
2. Wake Forest's offense is starting to click at the right time.
3. The Demon Deacon's are just 1-52 all time against top 10 teams (#4 Tennessee in 1946).

659.gif

Favorite Wake Forest related Image, Photoshop, Video or Gif:

660.gif

Must be cool to have the creepy guy from the Poltergeist movies for a mascot.

10.png
Miami Roster Stuff

2 Deep Depth Chart

Miami Injuries
DatePosPlayerInjuryStatus
10/21/13RBKacy Rodgers IIAnkleProbable
10/20/13WRPhillip DorsettKneeOut Indefinitely
08/15/13OLDanny IsidoraFootOut Indefinitely
08/15/13OLHunter KnightonShoulderOut For Season

65.png
Wake Forest Roster Stuff

2 Deep Depth Chart (PDF)

Wake Forest Injuries
DatePosPlayerInjuryStatus
09/21/13LBSteve DonatellKneeOut For Season
08/29/13LBZachary AllenDisciplinaryOut Indefinitely
08/23/13DBDuran LoweDisciplinaryHas Been Dismissed

Game Day Character:

The Nothing-like cloud that was the NCAA investigation has finally lifted. We're coming off of an emotional, come from behind victory. There's still a couple of big games looming in our near future. We're undefeated and ranked in the BCS top 10 for the 1st time in God know how long. Just tune out all the distractions, take care of business, and don't get caught looking ahead.

467.jpg

[video=youtube;4F4qzPbcFiA]www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA[/video]

Allons-y

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I like the decision by Al Golden to keep the boys away from the press following the NCAA news. None of the questions by the media would have been about Wake Forest this week.

Great coaching move by AG.

Great stuff Dan E!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Does it seem like Campanaro has been there forever?

Wake made a deal with the Devil (hence the Demon Deacon crap). They're allowed to have annoying good white guys for 11 years, but they have to be 5-7 to 7-5 every year.

I remember being at the game in 2008' which we won by six..it was pouring by the end and i was trying to keep my phone dry lol...true fans stayed till the end...

Advertisement
Back