Vernon Davis Transfer Impact on Recruiting

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
While today's news of Vernon Davis' departure was a surprise to some considering the season hasn't started, this move should be beneficial for both sides. In Davis' case, he will be transferring to West Virginia, where he will have a prime opportunity for playing time after sitting out this upcoming season per NCAA rules. It was going to be tough for him to get significant playing time at Miami with Ladarius Gunter (Soph.), Thomas Finnie (Soph.), Tracy Howard (Fr.), Antonio Crawford (Fr.), Larry Hope (Fr.) and Nate Dortch (Fr.) all in the fold with all of the freshmen with the exception of Dortch most likely playing this season.

This could help Miami because it opens up another spot for this recruiting class, which needs spots to open up for the coaches to get the bigger class that they would like. If a transfer was coming from almost any other position on the team other than Corner, the staff would probably look to fill the spot with another recruit from that position. Since Miami is set a CB for a couple years, this gives them the opportunity to fill another need such as Defensive End or Offensive Line.

Keep in mind that this class also needs a Punter since Dalton Botts is a senior, so this helps big-time with that. Instead of having to use one of the limited scholarships on a punter before Davis' decision, the move now frees up that opportunity.

The bottom line here is that Davis had the chance to compete in camp and didn't feel like he would be able to crack the lineup. Nobody is hurt here and Davis should be able to have a nice career at West Virginia because he is a talented player.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Interesting that he'd think he has a much better shot at WVA. Surprised by that. Would think someone wilting from competition in his first fall camp would go down to mid-major. Maybe this is more about generally personal happiness/culture fit?

Advertisement
Interesting that he'd think he has a much better shot at WVA. Surprised by that. Would think someone wilting from competition in his first fall camp would go down to mid-major. Maybe this is more about generally personal happiness/culture fit?

People never consider this when a player leaves (or never comes for that matter), but it's probably a bigger factor than most people think alot of times. Guys aren't always running from competition. Sometimes it's just a bad fit for them.

People never consider this when a player leaves (or never comes for that matter), but it's probably a bigger factor than most people think alot of times. Guys aren't always running from competition. Sometimes it's just a bad fit for them.

Yea that's definitely a factor for a lot of transfers, but his coach said it himself that it was the playing time that was his reason for leaving.

Yea that's definitely a factor for a lot of transfers, but his coach said it himself that it was the playing time that was his reason for leaving.
Not only that but there are coments from the kid himself claiming he couldn't trust the staff anymore since they are bringing in more DBs like Burns and Carter.I don't understand why our fans are always complicating things and looking for for more than there is when the kid himself said why he's leaving.

the coaches wanting a bigger class sounds like they have an abundance of guys wanting in, this right at all?

Advertisement
This is the perfect type of situation when you get alot of kids at one position in the same class.....

Golden got them all in and got to figure out which ones would play and who would not. The one who did not left on his own accord so Golden didnt even have to purge him

Win all around

RickMoaranus said:
the coaches wanting a bigger class sounds like they have an abundance of guys wanting in, this right at all?

It's really more about loading up with bigger classes before scholarship losses

While today's news of Vernon Davis' departure was a surprise to some considering the season hasn't started, this move should be beneficial for both sides. In Davis' case, he will be transferring to West Virginia, where he will have a prime opportunity for playing time after sitting out this upcoming season per NCAA rules. It was going to be tough for him to get significant playing time at Miami with Ladarius Gunter (Soph.), Thomas Finnie (Soph.), Tracy Howard (Fr.), Antonio Crawford (Fr.), Larry Hope (Fr.) and Nate Dortch (Fr.) all in the fold with all of the freshmen with the exception of Dortch most likely playing this season.

This could help Miami because it opens up another spot for this recruiting class, which needs spots to open up for the coaches to get the bigger class that they would like. If a transfer was coming from almost any other position on the team other than Corner, the staff would probably look to fill the spot with another recruit from that position. Since Miami is set a CB for a couple years, this gives them the opportunity to fill another need such as Defensive End or Offensive Line.

Keep in mind that this class also needs a Punter since Dalton Botts is a senior, so this helps big-time with that. Instead of having to use one of the limited scholarships on a punter before Davis' decision, the move now frees up that opportunity.

The bottom line here is that Davis had the chance to compete in camp and didn't feel like he would be able to crack the lineup. Nobody is hurt here and Davis should be able to have a nice career at West Virginia because he is a talented player.

disagree...not with the attitude he has.

Advertisement
Self-awareness doesn't necessarily equate to poor attitude.

Agreed. If Davis couldn't crack the depth chart here and he realized it early enough, then I wish him the best of luck at WVU. I will admit I'm a bit turned off by his comments that seem to indicate he's afraid he'll be buried by kids who are still in high school, but maybe he believed his skills weren't on par with those he would be competing with for playing time and decided he would be better elsewhere.

ETA: The one part of his comments that I really disliked were him saying he "didn't trust the coaches anymore" because they were still recruiting other DBs, as if the coaches wouldn't continue to recruit DBs. The coaches may not recruit many DBs in a class or two and may cherry-pick the recruit they choose to go after, but to ignore the defensive secondary altogether? C'mon, shun! That's why we had to take seven or so DBs this year.

Last edited:

The kid talked mad **** about how he was going to start as a freshmen, told fans they keep talking Howard up but forgetting bout him etc(you get the point) then leaves cuz of the competition. No way you slice it, that's a poor attitude after coming in with sky high confidence.

The kid talked mad **** about how he was going to start as a freshmen, told fans they keep talking Howard up but forgetting bout him etc(you get the point) then leaves cuz of the competition. No way you slice it, that's a poor attitude after coming in with sky high confidence.
True, dat.

Advertisement

I don't see hot the dots connect.

Kid thought he was better than he is...nothing wrong with that...he got here, realized he will be limited here (I still think he would have been a fine special teamer during his career here) because of said competition and got out as early as possible. I just don't see the connection of the dots between this and him having a poor attitude.

His coach said he didn't "trust" the coaches...not the kid, so I'll take it FWIW.

imma be honest i never thought that highly of him.

I always thought he was a "solid" player but i never trust guys out of Coral Reef ...that school doesnt produce alot of talent...they dont really play that many talented teams either (they did get beat up by norland)....

kid earned his schollie in camp so i was in..but he in my opinion was low on the totem pole of cbs we brought in

Since there is fact here i will post about CB, but if Ej is gone - ditto - another scholership opened up although we needed EJ more than VD - we NOW have enough competition at CB to define roles and let players take the initiative to win jobs - bring in Likely and Ray Lewis and let them compete with Bush for a Nickel/Spot position that plays up along the LOS - what we have been needing is play-makers - if Ej is gone, make sure room for Grace and another LB as the season progresses that is a play-maker

Advertisement
Back