USS Theodore Roosevelt Commanding Officer Relieved of Duty

CaneFan79

Senior
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/apr/4/trump-says-he-agrees-capt-brett-croziers-ouster/

If you go to the SF Chronicle and actually read the memo he sent, not just media reports, his compromise of readiness data put the acting SECNAV in a difficult position. Other individuals have had their careers ruined for a lot less, and the lack of capability concerning of a premier operational asset to conduct it's mission set is of great interest to our adversaries and disclosure of same could cause serious damage to national security.

I laughed when a media story stated Tweed Roosevelt (the great-grandson of CVN-71's namesake) disagreed with the firing. He has zero military experience and (you can't make this stuff up!) the Chairman of Roosevelt China Investments...Yeah, real qualified to pass judgement.

Last edited:

caneofny

Sophomore
The military doesn't operate in the court of public opinion.
“why did you kill that terrorist?! It’s a misunderstanding. He’s peaceful. You’re an islamaphobe”...or however your spell it

CaneFan79

Senior
Sounds like a captain who laid his career down to get his ship and sailors the attention they needed.
Did you read the memo? Here it is:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Exclusive-Captain-of-aircraft-carrier-with-15167883.php

Ever do readiness reports for a major combat unit? Any experience with War Planning? What he revealed in this memo is not to be sent via unsecured means. Heck, his direct superior, Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Stuart Baker, commanding Carrier Strike Group 9, was just down the passageway from him in officer country and reportedly Crozier didn't tell him anything about his concerns before shooting the memo out via e-mail. His hyperbole in the memo is what I expect of a reporter, not a seasoned commanding officer experienced in adapting to changing conditions. Note, Captain Crozier states the following in his memo: "...but in combat we are willing to take certain risks that are not acceptable in peacetime. However, we are not at war,..." Crozier's ribbon rack shows an Iraq campaign medal with one service star and an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, so I am not sure why he doesn't realize that US forces in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria are still very much at war...Maybe because he isn't there, he forgot? Guess CVN-71 wasn't going to go west of Diego Garcia under his command.

I do believe he was unfairly criticised by POTUS about a port call in Vietnam:

https://www.stripes.com/news/pacifi...-us-carrier-to-visit-since-the-1970s-1.621313

The call to visit Danang was obviously way above his pay grade and it looks like the AOR combatant commander has some explaining to do about his considerations concerning medical force protection before the visit. Hopefully this will be a focus of any investigation.

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
CAPT Crozier should absolutely not have voiced his concerns in the MANNER that he did. Further more, there are several flag NAVPAC and PACOM officers between him and SECNAV.

While I disagree with his methodology (trust me I have standing to do so), I greatly respect him for going out on his shield.

He had to have known the sh!t storm he was going to cause and took it standing on two feet.

Want to know the reaction of his fellow Carrier CO's? "What the f[]ck was Brett thinking?"

Every single one of them.

Empirical Cane

@Empirical, That's exactly what I told my wife. In the military, you just CAN'T do that. He had to know that he just effectively ended his career.
Absolutely 100% more to this story--and it's more than can't--it's wrong to do it in the HOW he did it way. What those details are, probably never known by anyone other than his inner circle.

Make no mistake, he didn't do this by accident.

Also, he would have NEVER tolerated same behavior by one of his NCOs or junior officers.

CaneFan79

Senior
Absolutely 100% more to this story--and it's more than can't--it's wrong to do it in the HOW he did it way. What those details are, probably never known by anyone other than his inner circle.

Make no mistake, he didn't do this by accident.

Also, he would have NEVER tolerated same behavior by one of his NCOs or junior officers.
Crozier definitely intended this to go outside of Navy and AOR Combatant Command channels. From his memo:

"...the only effective method to preserve an individual's health is total isolation for 14+ days in accordance
with the NAVADMIN (i.e. Individual hotel/barracks rooms with separate heads). Due to a
warship's inherent limitations of space, we are not doing this."

"With the exceptions of a handful of senior officer staterooms, none of the berthing onboard a warship is appropriate for quarantine or isolation."

Most all of Crozier's superiors, up through USPACFLT and USINDOPACOM are Navy or Marine flag officers (One USAF general, nominated for USPACOM command by Rumsfeld in the early 2000s, got smeared by Boat School Senator Johnny Wet Start and withdrew his candidacy) who would say "No $#!+" about a carrier's living conditions not being conducive to CDC guidelines.

Looking at his bio, this is a guy who used his 1999-2001 Navy personnel command detailer assignment to get a plum conversion to fixed wing strike fighters in 2002; after being a rotory wing aviator since about 1993 (he graduated USNA in 1992). He also figured a way (except for Naval War College and a NATO stint in Naples) to stay on the West Coast or Japan his entire time in operational units. Yes, the Navy is Pacific-biased and growing more so in the era of China ascendancy, but a pretty neat trick nevertheless.

I think he got good at working the system (especially the assignment side) and figured this would be another case where he get what he wanted by working the right levers...It backfired on him.

Last edited:

Empirical Cane

Crozier definitely intended this to go outside of Navy and AOR Combatant Command channels. From his memo:

"...the only effective method to preserve an individual's health is total isolation for 14+ days in accordance
with the NAVADMIN (i.e. Individual hotel/barracks rooms with separate heads). Due to a
warship's inherent limitations of space, we are not doing this."

"With the exceptions of a handful of senior officer staterooms, none of the berthing onboard a warship is appropriate for quarantine or isolation."

Most all of Crozier's superiors, up through USPACFLT and USINDOPACOM are Navy or Marine flag officers (One USAF general, nominated for USPACOM command by Rumsfeld in the early 2000s, got smeared by Boat School Senator Johnny Wet Start and withdrew his candidacy) who would say "No $#!+" about a carrier's living conditions not being conducive to CDC guidelines.

Looking at his bio, this is a guy who used his 1999-2001 Navy personnel command detailer assignment to get a plum conversion to fixed wing strike fighters in 2002; this, after being a rotory wing aviator since about 1993 (he graduated USNA in 1992). He also figured a way (except Naval War College and a NATO stint in Naples) to stay on the West Coast or Japan his entire time in operational units. Yes, the Navy is Pacific-biased and growing more so in the era of China ascendancy, but a pretty neat trick nevertheless.

I think he got good at working the system (especially the assignment side) and figured this would be another case where he get what he wanted by working the right levers...It backfired on him.
You are very wise...

Are you Navy??

Fawk_U Haters

Junior
For the people posting here. Why did it have to come to this to get action? Or are you going to tell me this was his first request?

AmherstCane

Recruit
I’ll go with Admiral Mullen on this one.

“I think the firing was a really bad decision, because it undermines the authority of the military commanders who are trying to take care of their troops, and significantly negatively impacts the willingness of commanders to speak truth to power,” said retired Adm. Mike Mullen, the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, in an interview Saturday.

Fawk_U Haters

Junior
It appears that it was. Even if it wasn't, still backed them into a corner.
I doubt this was his first request. Career military people don't panic like this at the first sign. There is a reason this dude put it all on the line because he knew, as you just stated, this would back people into a corner.