US weekly jobless claims soar to a record-breaking 3.28 million, vs 1.5 million expected

For anyone that thinks what we’re doing now is sustainable over many more weeks, it is not.

This has to end sooner rather than later. I can’t say exactly when that is, but the cost to society will be much much greater over the long run the longer this keeps going.

atlCanesFan

Redshirt Freshman

For anyone that thinks what we’re doing now is sustainable over many more weeks, it is not.

This has to end sooner rather than later. I can’t say exactly when that is, but the cost to society will be much much greater over the long run the longer this keeps going.
Well your right there is going to be a high cost to society, but with that said we are most likely to see a huge spike in cases/deaths within the next couple of weeks.
First order of business is stopping the transmission. That includes more testing and tracing to keep the virus under control. Business are getting desperate but you can not force individuals to go out and intermingle, especially under these circumstances.
Until decreases begin to become apparant this will be the "new normal".
On the bright side a few countries (S.Korea, Japan) are showing decreases in cases, so there may be something to learn on the measures they took(en)

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.

Congrats Democratic Party and hysterical media.

Poptimus

Senior
I don’t think what we are doing is sustainable for one more month without severe economic damage that will take years to undo. Plus there will be social impacts such as looting and rioting when people are out of money and need to provide for themselves and their families.

NC_Canes_11

Recruit
Dr Fauci and Dr Birx weren’t elected. It’s time to let somebody else decide what happens to this country. If we end up with 40% unemployment it wouldn’t bother them. As long as they get rid of the virus they are gonna be praised.

For_The_U

All ACC
Well your right there is going to be a high cost to society, but with that said we are most likely to see a huge spike in cases/deaths within the next couple of weeks.
First order of business is stopping the transmission. That includes more testing and tracing to keep the virus under control. Business are getting desperate but you can not force individuals to go out and intermingle, especially under these circumstances.
Until decreases begin to become apparant this will be the "new normal".
On the bright side a few countries (S.Korea, Japan) are showing decreases in cases, so there may be something to learn on the measures they took(en)
It's not a matter of forcing people to go out, it's a matter of not forcing people to stay in. Not saying now is the time for that, just correcting which way the river flows there.

Empirical Cane

People as a whole are very fickle. Everyone wants everyone to sacrifice, until it's their turn.

This shutdown is going to get very, very difficult to justify to a lot of people in a very short amount of time.
Until a majority of people directly see someone THEY KNOW in ICU or dies (not anywhere close in real numbers yet), the calls for get back to work are only going to grow louder.

Poptimus

Senior
Until a majority of people directly see someone THEY KNOW in ICU or dies (not anywhere close in real numbers yet), the calls for get back to work are only going to grow louder.
My opinion wouldn’t change even if someone I knew died, we need to get back to work. If that sounds selfish, it’s not. I wouldn’t want or expect my friends and family to be out of work just because I succumbed to this virus, God forbid. A friend of mine died in a car accident years ago; I didn’t suddenly stop driving because of it.

atlCanesFan

Redshirt Freshman
My opinion wouldn’t change even if someone I knew died, we need to get back to work. If that sounds selfish, it’s not. I wouldn’t want or expect my friends and family to be out of work just because I succumbed to this virus, God forbid. A friend of mine died in a car accident years ago; I didn’t suddenly stop driving because of it.
Regurgitation of Fox News talking points. BORING.

Empirical Cane

A strong point.

SPAMM

Redshirt Freshman
Dr Fauci and Dr Birx weren’t elected. It’s time to let somebody else decide what happens to this country. If we end up with 40% unemployment it wouldn’t bother them. As long as they get rid of the virus they are gonna be praised.
And we all know how well the ReichsKanzler is doing.

For_The_U

All ACC
Well said, Pop. An analogy to that is in the context of war. I come from a long line of military family. Just because a soldier is killed who happens to be someone close to us personally, while absolutely tragic, doesn't suddenly mean all affected families pull their support for the war.

Would I be sad if a loved one of mine passed due to coronavirus? Absolutely. Would that occurence therefore make me feel we need to lock down the country until a vaccine is out? No. And that's not because I enjoy watching elderly people die.

423Hurricane

Recruit
Ultimately, decisions have to made for the greater good. I have a 93 year old father-in-law and an 87 year old mother-in-law and both say this is not sustainable and we have to think of the long term consequences of a continued shut down. Even it means their health might be jeopardized.

I believe there are ways to open the economy back up and still be able to limit exposure to the virus. We won't be able to save everybody. That's a given. What we can do is our best to limit deaths.

One small example is many major retailers - including Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Target - are installing plexi glass shields at all registers to limit exposure to both cashiers and customers. These are the types of things that can be implemented to mitigate exposure to the virus.

I'm very encouraged that companies large and small are implementing measures such as the aforementioned to help keep both customers and employees safe.