US deaths soar past 1,000, according to Johns Hopkins University

TheOriginalCane

All ACC

Clearly, GoCanes has produced stats that show recoveries to deaths at a 2:1 ratio. Therefore, out of the 75,000 cases, we should expect 25,000 fatalities.

Hey, I just wanted to be an amateur statistician, like the Trump-apologist blowhards on this board.

Regardless of whatever other ridiculous projected stats you read on these threads, the takeaways are simple. We need to (a) take immediate and serious precautions today; (b) beat this current pandemic as quickly as possible; and (c) start taking these threats seriously from Day 1, spending whatever money is necessary to diagnose/test/contain pandemics AQAP, and without politicizing the issues or demonizing the science/stats.

Go Canes!!

All ACC
Clearly, GoCanes has produced stats that show recoveries to deaths at a 2:1 ratio. Therefore, out of the 75,000 cases, we should expect 25,000 fatalities.

Hey, I just wanted to be an amateur statistician, like the Trump-apologist blowhards on this board.

Regardless of whatever other ridiculous projected stats you read on these threads, the takeaways are simple. We need to (a) take immediate and serious precautions today; (b) beat this current pandemic as quickly as possible; and (c) start taking these threats seriously from Day 1, spending whatever money is necessary to diagnose/test/contain pandemics AQAP, and without politicizing the issues or demonizing the science/stats.

Thanks for your insight and gracious attempt to educate us all.

Last edited:

hydro66

Junior
Are we out of the woods, I've heard that a second waive is upon us. Some with lots more knowledge than me, what's the outcome for the future. Give it in a non partisan way. Thanks

Gooner#44

Recruit
Not daily. But I'm assuming we'll have 1000+ days.
That seems high to me, BUT we did not isolate near as much as other countries. I think when it's all said and done we blow every country out of the water in # of cases, but I just don't see days with 1,000+ deaths. For our county's sake I hope I am right. No one really knows, that's just my take, I could be way off and my safe full of guns and ammo may have more value than I ever expected.

No_Fly_Zone

Sophomore
Left-leaning or Right-leaning, the unnecessary use of the clearly editorial "soars" is very clearly made to get clicks and generate ad revenue. As if the 24 hour news cycle wasn't enough, now we must contend with online news outlets counting on clicks/ads to survive.

We're all fvcked.

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Irresponsible headline. Insane actually.

"US Deaths move past 1000" would have been better, but that doesn't get clicks does it?

This am JH was reporting 1042. At this moment, 1555 EST, 1124.

Hardly soaring. Tragic for each one, but let's slow roll this runaway train shall we.

rccollins

Sophomore
Left-leaning or Right-leaning, the unnecessary use of the clearly editorial "soars" is very clearly made to get clicks and generate ad revenue. As if the 24 hour news cycle wasn't enough, now we must contend with online news outlets counting on clicks/ads to survive.

We're all fvcked.
i'd say we are fucked because we are not taking this thing nearly as seriously as we needed to. not because and editor used the word "soar" ha

No_Fly_Zone

Sophomore
i'd say we are fucked because we are not taking this thing nearly as seriously as we needed to. not because and editor used the word "soar" ha
Schools are closed. Restaurants are closed for dine in. Bars are closed. Non-essential businesses are closed and/or working remotely. Travel restrictions are in place. The Senate just passed a $2 trillion relief package.

I think most people are taking this seriously. But the right question to ask is how seriously should we be taking this?

When news outlets decide to editorialize the news instead of report it in as unbiased a manner as possible, it makes it that much harder to have a rational, honest discussion about the severity of the virus, economic impact, and appropriate response to protect Americans health (and finances). That's my problem with this type of reporting.