Updated IC/scholarship numbers (as of May 26, 2022)

Clay James doesn't count, he never signed an LOI, and the promise of a former coach (let alone two coaches ago) doesn't mean anything. It's a one-year renewable, if Mario decides to renew it.

There's a difference between kids who sign LOIs and walk-ons being awarded scholarships. If we have remaining scholarships, then Ragone and/or James can have them, and if we don't, we are under no obligation to award them. And I onlyl listed Ragone because he actually played on defense last year. But no long snapper is getting a locked-in guaranteed scholarship for 4 years.
Mannnnnn…
Every scholarship is a one year deal.
Read what a national letter of intent actually says. It is a one year contract.
Ask any athlete who has ever played at the college level.
There are times when a school has a “free semester” open and awards to a player. Think about when Diaz gave 5 guys scholarship before covid hit. Remember that? All 5 knew it was for that Spring and Summer only.

That is not the case with Ryan Ragone or Clay James. They are both on scholarship until their eligibility is over…. Just like TVD or Tae or Jakai or Rooster or whoever you want to add.

You do not have to agree but count them on your list if you want it to reflect correctly!

If you dont, your list is wrong and confusing to people who will think we have 2 more open… that are not open. Your choice!

Not here to argue just help you have a correct spreadsheet

Advertisement
Mannnnnn…
Every scholarship is a one year deal.
Read what a national letter of intent actually says. It is a one year contract.
Ask any athlete who has ever played at the college level.
There are times when a school has a “free semester” open and awards to a player. Think about when Diaz gave 5 guys scholarship before covid hit. Remember that? All 5 knew it was for that Spring and Summer only.

That is not the case with Ryan Ragone or Clay James. They are both on scholarship until their eligibility is over…. Just like TVD or Tae or Jakai or Rooster or whoever you want to add.

You do not have to agree but count them on your list if you want it to reflect correctly!

If you dont, your list is wrong and confusing to people who will think we have 2 more open… that are not open. Your choice!

Not here to argue just help you have a correct spreadsheet

You can go on and on, but you're still incorrect. Ragone and James are not "both on scholarship until their eligibility is over". Even you writing that goes against the point you try to make about LOI scholarships.

If Mario wants to give Ragone and James scholarships, he is free to do so, and I'll count them when that happens. If Mario wants to use those slots for other guys, he will do so. And if we end up pushing out more than 10 guys, then UM will have the room to give Ragone and James scholarships.

The reality is the kids who signed LOIs might lose their scholarship "for cause" (grades, discipline, etc.) and they might get pushed out (you're going to be a 4th stringer who never plays, so you might as well transfer), but a kid is rarely, if ever, taken off of scholarship for being a third-stringer if he is doing everything else he should be doing (going to class, going to practice, staying out of trouble).

I put Ragone on the spreadsheet for the very reason that he has played and stands a fairly good chance of getting renewed for 2022. I'm not putting a long snapper on there, that is equally misleading, no matter what Richt promised. It would be just as wrong, if not worse, for people to think we were unable to sign a couple of last minute transfers like Flowe and Dorlus because Mario was contractually-obligated to honor a promise that Richt made to a couple of walk-ons.

And for the record, I'm not arguing with you. I know the rules, I've read an LOI, I realize how these things are handled. There are a lot more rules today, there are a lot more considerations today (such as academic progress) that contribute to the overall process of not just "cutting" kids who signed LOIs on an annual basis. Nobody is "discrediting" special teams players. I have no idea the game Mario is playing with Borregales, but if Mario doesn't think he can sign 7 more difference-makers in the Portal, then he is free to sign extra kickers and give out scholarships to long snappers like Easter candy.

Last edited:
You can go on and on, but you're still incorrect. Ragone and James are not "both on scholarship until their eligibility is over". Even you writing that goes against the point you try to make about LOI scholarships.

If Mario wants to give Ragone and James scholarships, he is free to do so, and I'll count them when that happens. If Mario wants to use those slots for other guys, he will do so. And if we end up pushing out more than 10 guys, then UM will have the room to give Ragone and James scholarships.

The reality is the kids who signed LOIs might lose their scholarship "for cause" (grades, discipline, etc.) and they might get pushed out (you're going to be a 4th stringer who never plays, so you might as well transfer), but a kid is rarely, if ever, taken off of scholarship for being a third-stringer if he is doing everything else he should be doing (going to class, going to practice, staying out of trouble).

I put Ragone on the spreadsheet for the very reason that he has played and stands a fairly good chance of getting renewed for 2022. I'm not putting a long snapper on there, that is equally misleading, no matter what Richt promised. It would be just as wrong, if not worse, for people to think we were unable to sign a couple of last minute transfers like Flowe and Dorlus because Mario was contractually-obligated to honor a promise that Richt made to a couple of walk-ons.

And for the record, I'm not arguing with you. I know the rules, I've read an LOI, I realize how these things are handled. There are a lot more rules today, there are a lot more considerations today (such as academic progress) that contribute to the overall process of not just "cutting" kids who signed LOIs on an annual basis. Nobody is "discrediting" special teams players. I have no idea the game Mario is playing with Borregales, but if Mario doesn't think he can sign 7 more difference-makers in the Portal, then he is free to sign extra kickers and give out scholarships to long snappers like Easter candy.
You are wild and absolutely wrong bc I respect you on this site let me settle this for you.

Ryan Ragone is ON scholarship for 2022 season #Fact
Clay James is ON scholarship for 2022 season and has been asked to stay for 2023. #Fact

DM them both and ask

This way your spreadsheet is correct.

Then maybe consider apologizing to me!

Gotta admit I am shocked at your total disrespect to a kid who has started every game for 3 years and who has contributed to some great special teams work, too.
Not your character on this site.

Like you count Ragone’s scholly but not an actual starter? James might be the most experience starter. Who else has started every game the last 3 seasons? (I admit this statment could be wrong but he has to be close. Not even Hedley started every game)

DM Ragone & James.
Ill wait

1649895118163.png
1649895141795.png
1649895158638.png

Attachments

• 1649895138471.png
    1649895138471.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 13
Advertisement
You are wild and absolutely wrong bc I respect you on this site let me settle this for you.

Ryan Ragone is ON scholarship for 2022 season #Fact
Clay James is ON scholarship for 2022 season and has been asked to stay for 2023. #Fact

DM them both and ask

This way your spreadsheet is correct.

Then maybe consider apologizing to me!

Gotta admit I am shocked at your total disrespect to a kid who has started every game for 3 years and who has contributed to some great special teams work, too.
Not your character on this site.

Like you count Ragone’s scholly but not an actual starter? James might be the most experience starter. Who else has started every game the last 3 seasons? (I admit this statment could be wrong but he has to be close. Not even Hedley started every game)

DM Ragone & James.
Ill wait

Hilarious. The 2022 school year hasn't even started yet, but they already have their scholarship money. Sure. Whatever.

"Most experienced starter"...is a long snapper. Sorry, have to laugh. It's not out of "total disrespect", it's out of an acknowledgement that he might get as many plays in a game as an offensive or defensive player gets in one drive. Nobody is denying that Clay James has "started" a bunch of games, but you are acting like he is some irreplaceable guy. Good lord, we have 5 or 6 "centers of the future" on this team, and yet you are acting like Clay James is going to have a C sewn onto his jersey.

Good for you, I'm sure you have the inside track to buying a game-worn Clay James jersey.

Hey, you remember that one time that Miami couldn't give a top recruit a scholarship because we were capped out due to walk-ons? Yeah, I don't either, and it's not going to start now. If Mario has scholarships to give after all the Portal activity is over, then Ragone and James are fine.

Hilarious. Gotta remember this one. "The poster who acted like walk-ons have a better scholarship guarantee than recruited players who signed LOIs". And "Our most experienced starter is a walk-on long snapper". Hey, would you consider Clay James a "more experienced starter" than Zion Nelson or Lou Hedley? Funny stuff.

Look, if you could set aside your precious feelings for Clay James and your mock outrage over the "total disrespect" given to our "most experienced starter", you might begin to understand why THIS YEAR is different, why this year is the exception to any standard operating procedure. Because we are going from an uncapped year back to 85 counters, and every scholarship counts. This couldn't have been foreseen when Richt promised scholarships to walk-ons.

So maybe...just maybe...you can put a band-aid on your ego and apologize to yourself if you need to hear those words so badly. You are a grown man fighting over ONE NAME on a list. Maybe Mario will push out enough current players that we will be able to sign OLs and DLs and LBs and CBs and extra kickers AND a couple of walk-ons. But Mario is gunning for an ACC championship this year, and if he needs to add a couple more transfers and the only thing he has left in the tank are a couple of walk-on scholarships, then Ragone and James will need to pay for next year's tuition.

Nothing personal, no disrespect. Just numbers.

Last edited:
So after removing C Brown, we’re currently somewhere around 88 scholarship players including the PWOs Parrot, James and Ragone who were given ships at some point? Is that correct? Gojira, I’m pretty sure ElGammal is long gone.

Which means we need to find 3 kids that won’t be on scholarship even before we get a 1-for-1 swap of outbound to inbound portalers. No offense to any PWO because I get the fact they’re loyal and great glue guys. But you have to lump them in the expendable category. If we’re seeing guys like C Brown go because they’re buried on the depth chart, it’s reasonable to have that talk with guys like Parrot.

That gets us roughly at parity, where we do the 1-1 swapping. Just look at that roster. Can you find 7 guys who would probably leave if they had a place to land? I can EASILY. In fact, I can see why some guys are talking about 10+ departures not even counting the PWOs, though I hope we don’t see that much turnover tbh.

Can’t forget Macros lol let the spreadsheet do the work for him.
Decent formatting that won't make folks eyes bleed is more important most times. That's not even the right orange (#f47321) nor green (#005030)!

Macros/VBA is no where near as important as it used to be. Any youngins are better off learning good Lamba, M and DAX, while getting practice in to learn how to present, collaborate and creatively apply.

So after removing C Brown, we’re currently somewhere around 88 scholarship players including the PWOs Parrot, James and Ragone who were given ships at some point? Is that correct? Gojira, I’m pretty sure ElGammal is long gone.

Which means we need to find 3 kids that won’t be on scholarship even before we get a 1-for-1 swap of outbound to inbound portalers. No offense to any PWO because I get the fact they’re loyal and great glue guys. But you have to lump them in the expendable category. If we’re seeing guys like C Brown go because they’re buried on the depth chart, it’s reasonable to have that talk with guys like Parrot.

That gets us roughly at parity, where we do the 1-1 swapping. Just look at that roster. Can you find 7 guys who would probably leave if they had a place to land? I can EASILY. In fact, I can see why some guys are talking about 10+ departures not even counting the PWOs, though I hope we don’t see that much turnover tbh.

Parrott's not on the UM roster. Neither is El-Gammal.

Advertisement
Parrott's not on the UM roster. Neither is El-Gammal.

Perfect. So it’s 87 including both James and Ragone. Like you said, TOC, they’re absolutely fair game on trading up.

Not to pick on anyone. But to make the point on the PWOs — I see zero indication Z Hillery is going to make the two deep. That’s a kid you encourage to graduate and free up a spot. So if you’re targeting guys like him, of course your doing the same for the PWOs.

Perfect. So it’s 87 including both James and Ragone. Like you said, TOC, they’re absolutely fair game on trading up.

Not to pick on anyone. But to make the point on the PWOs — I see zero indication Z Hillery is going to make the two deep. That’s a kid you encourage to graduate and free up a spot. So if you’re targeting guys like him, of course your doing the same for the PWOs.

I agree with you. I strongly suspect that the numbers will "miraculously" work out to the point where we can still carry Ragone and James, but you can go back to posts a few months ago where guys were SWEARING that the IC rules would not limit us, but the 85 would. Meanwhile, we can now easily identify enough guys who should transfer that would get us to a few under 85.

More shoes to drop soon.

TOC… my dude.

How are you going you to tell me to check my ego when you saying sorry stuff like “your precious feelings” and “inside track to a game worn jersey”. Come on. You are mad but I was trying to get the correct count like everyone else. No feelings about Clay James or his position. I was making some points but not with my feelings. “Most experienced starter” was a stretch but I said that in my post. Most “starts” would have been more correct. Yes, i consider Class of 2018 guys like W Mallory, Scaife, DJ Ivey more experienced, but technically not more starts. My point remains the same though. The kid counts until he leaves. Mario is not looking at a 3 yr starter thinking “He is the guy who needs to leave”. Mario is looking at someone who isn’t starting or close to, is not contributing, is not learning the systems, who sleeps at meetings, who is late to meetings, who has locker room issues, etc. You know “issue” guys. He is not trying to replace a piece of the puzzle unless it is necessary.

Side note from your post you said “If MANNY has scholarships to give after the portal activity is over”.

Typos happen, right? You will not see me drag you over it though, nor will I talk down to you.

I still like you and think you post good info here but be grown. You do not have to like it. I did not like some OLine dudes hanging out stealing Miami money. At least James contributes on Saturdays!

Speaking of stealing money. ElGammel is still using/taking a football scholarship. As crazy as it sounds, it is true. I would count him until you see an announcement about a transfer. He used a COVID opt-out and then medical redshirt (similar to I. Walker last season) I was told summer decision on his medical status. Yes, I asked because I did not believe it either. Nothing can change until medical staff makes a decision. The new staff has to be counting his spot as open for a transfer guy. He has not been with the team for 2 full seasons. Pretty unusual situation. For now, he is one of the 85 though.

Advertisement

You do whatever it takes to keep your long snapper when he has been outstanding. The least appreciated position on the field. The kid has been money for 3 years on short and long snaps. Think about punts, extra points and field goals where we have not had a problem. This kid makes a clean snap in all types of weather automatic. Worth a schollie unless we want to roll the dice on a new PWO.

Advertisement
I have a feeling the roster posted in OP will be very different once August rolls around. When you look at the macro view of the roster like TOC posted, man, there is so much dead weight / fat that can and should be trimmed from this roster (I see a lot of G5 type talent and I am sure yall do, too) and once this post-Spring flood of transfers happens around CFB, I gotta think we'll be knee deep in the portal again. Lots of holes still need to be filled and I don't mean all of yer moms.

I have a feeling the roster posted in OP will be very different once August rolls around. When you look at the macro view of the roster like TOC posted, man, there is so much dead weight / fat that can and should be trimmed from this roster (I see a lot of G5 type talent and I am sure yall do, too) and once this post-Spring flood of transfers happens around CFB, I gotta think we'll be knee deep in the portal again. Lots of holes still need to be filled and I don't mean all of yer moms.

You are correct, and I have been updating it. I will post a new one every time somone enters the Portal.

Advertisement
Back