UM-UF: Anybody remember Orlando in '76 or Tampa in '84?

FUGators FUNoles

Pronounced Eff Yoo
Those are the in-state neutral site games in modern series history (there were two games at the Gator Bowl stadium in Jacksonville during the late 50's)

Canes got beat 19-10 at the Citrus Bowl in 1976..

Canes won 32-20 at Tampa Stadium in 1984.

Any recollections from those particular matchups?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wasn't even conceived. Growing up those were the recent old days but now you'd have to be ancient to remember that. Weird for me to think the early 2000's was almost 20 years ago.

Those are the in-state neutral site games in modern series history (there were two games at the Gator Bowl stadium in the late 50's)

Canes got beat 19-10 at the Citrus Bowl in 1975.

Canes won 32-20 at Tampa Stadium in 1984.

Any recollections from those particular matchups?

Negative, the 1975 was in the Orange Bowl and we lost 15-11. We got screwed in that game. Florida won on a punt return. His knee was clearly down when he fielded the punt

The 1976 was crazy. The Tangerine Bowl was recently renovated. The upper deck started to sway during the National Anthem.

Advertisement
Negative, the 1975 was in the Orange Bowl and we lost 15-11. We got screwed in that game. Florida won on a punt return. His knee was clearly down when he fielded the punt

The 1976 was crazy. The Tangerine Bowl was recently renovated. The upper deck started to sway during the National Anthem.
Thanks Pentagon.

Fixed now.

Would like to hear more about that '76 game in Orlando (and '84 in Tampa from anyone who was there).

Really hoping UM fans show up big Aug. 24 and this "selling tickets" to UF fans doesn't amount to much.

I was at the ‘84 game with my mom and dad; I was 9. We lived in Jacksonville at the time, and my fam was best friends with the fam next door, who were UF fans. Both families went down to Tampa together for the game.

We left the stadium when UF scored with under a minute to go. Heard the stadium go nuts while we were heading back to the car. Didn’t find out we’d won until we got back to the car and turned on the radio. Man, I was ****ed at my dad for letting us leave!

The ‘84 game was epic! ESPN’s first nationally televised night game, 5 days after beating #1 Auburn in the Kickoff Classic. Bernie and Willie Smith were incredible. Gators Lorenzo Hampton scored with 42 seconds left to take the lead and their fans were raining crap down on the Canes section. Bernie took us down the field in 30 seconds and threw the prettiest pass to Eddie Brown in the corner of the end zone. Heaven! We kickoff and then pick them off and return it for another score with every Gator knocked on their *** during the return. Doesn’t get better than that!

The ‘84 game was epic! ESPN’s first nationally televised night game, 5 days after beating #1 Auburn in the Kickoff Classic. Bernie and Willie Smith were incredible. Gators Lorenzo Hampton scored with 42 seconds left to take the lead and their fans were raining crap down on the Canes section. Bernie took us down the field in 30 seconds and threw the prettiest pass to Eddie Brown in the corner of the end zone. Heaven! We kickoff and then pick them off and return it for another score with every Gator knocked on their *** during the return. Doesn’t get better than that!

Yep, the game was a big deal nationally because ESPN was debuting college football. I was driving up from California to Spokane, Washington to go to Air Force Survival Training. I was driving tandum with a buddy. We had just finished flying training. Told him if we find a hotel or motel with cable we are stopping. Found a hotel in Bend, Oregon. Only way to watch the game was rent a motel room that had it on cable. LoL. MIssed first quarter, but it was a classic. Once game ended we got back on the road.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Of course don’t forget the year we won our first national championship, we lost the first game to the turds.

That must’ve hurt them really hard, at that point they were the least successful big program ever in the history of college football, having never even won the SEC and of course no championship either.

And if you really look at them, considering that they are flagship state university of the state that’s the biggest with the most talent in college football, they are historically the most underperforming P5 program of all time.

Of course don’t forget the year we won our first national championship, we lost the first game to the turds.

That must’ve hurt them really hard, at that point they were the least successful big program ever in the history of college football, having never even won the SEC and of course no championship either.

And if you really look at them, considering that they are flagship state university of the state that’s the biggest with the most talent in college football, they are historically the most underperforming P5 program of all time.

During Fran Curci's tenure as head coach, he has a famous quote where he said Miami would win the national title before Florida would win the SEC. LoL, the SoB was right.

Advertisement
All Canes fans were serenading Charlie Pell that night in Tampa as it was his last game as coach. Great night to be a Cane.

I was at that game. I never thought in a million years that 1983 would turn out like it did.

After we won it all those losers actually made license plates that said, “Gators 28 National Champions 3”

Those aholes will never change.

Advertisement
Back