Turner still open to playing DB

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Miami commitment Dennis Turner has been one of the leaders on his Dillard team this season, racking up 500 yards and 8 touchdowns from the receiver position. The Panthers have enjoyed a great deal of success as they prepare to head into the playoffs.

“Right now we’re 7-2 and district champs. Next week we have Carol City in the first round of the playoffs. It’s been a team effort with everybody coming in as a whole,” said Turner.

Despite playing exclusively at the wide receiver spot this season, Turner is expeted to play corner at the next level.

“I really can’t say that’s what I prefer to play because whatever position my coach puts me at is what I’ll do.”

The Dillard athlete confirmed that Miami coaches still recruit him as a defensive back.

“Yes, they want to bring me in as a DB and I am ok with that.”

There has been talk that Turner’s commitment may not be all that solid, but he says he is not looking at that right now.

“There’s a couple coming after me, but I don’t really want to talk about that right now. Miami is where I’m at.”

Turner will turn his attention to recruiting once his season is completed.

“My coaches told me that schools would do this and make me feel wanted, but I’m really not focused on that right now because I’m focused on finishing up my senior year.”

The 5-11 athlete was tuned in to Miami’s loss against Florida State last weekend.

“That was a very tough loss, but they had lost two great players in Dorsett to UNC and Duke against Florida State. They can still finish strong the rest of the season.”

If he plays defensive back in college, there’s one corner he plans to model his game after.

“I can get a lot of picks because DBs aren’t known for good hands. I enjoy watching Champ Bailey, he’s my favorite corner.”

Before the season began, Turner was hearing the talk from fans saying he was not worthy of a Miami offer, but he hasn’t let that affect him.

“I haven’t really been paying too much attention to that stuff, I’ve just been playing ball. I’m doing exactly what I did last season and people are now starting to see it.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Would be surprised to see him wind up in the class.

Do u think he might see the writing on the wall as far as him being one of the casualties from us finishing strong or does he want to play receiver somewhere else?

Writing on the wall most likely. I really don't think he's opposed to playing corner because he did it willingly at the camp.

Is this going to be the 5'11 South Florida over achieving wide receiver that goes to Wake or Duke and sets career reception marks at his school and every **** time we play them the announcers will say "Miami's own Dennis Turner was not recruited to play WR by Miami...blah blah blah?" I hate those guys

Advertisement
Advertisement
I wouldnt drop this kid in the hopes that JC comes here thats for sure. Now if the kid wants to play WR and not DB thats another thing. But ive said it before, I dont think JC is coming here. I think FSU will tell him whatever he wants ATM to get him back. Bird in the hand is worth two in bush to me.. And this kid is no slouch. Now if you want to slow-play somebody, they need to be slow playing Mayes. Im sorry but that guy just has not impressed me from a physical standpoint which was a weakness since LAST YEAR and he still has not worked on that aspect of his game. JMO.

Advertisement
If Miami gets JC Jackson, I dont see why Dennis couldnt stick to receiver if he "winds up in this class"

Advertisement
Back