Thoughts?

Advertisement
The 2011-2012 drop off would get anyone else fired. If this years defense isn't top 40, Onofrio needs to move on.

Advertisement
This is a make or break year for Corch D IMO. There has to be drastic improvement or he should be looking for employment elsewhere.

One of the best lines in the article, IMO. I feel like a lot of people on this board have made it clear that they will be happy with any sort of improvement, which isn't all that impressive considering the depths of despair the D is in

If mere improvement over the worst defense in school history is accepted, then what we are doing is rewarding a defensive coordinator for plunging a defense to never-before-seen depths, then marginally improving it. And that is ultimately how Golden’s decision to retain D’Onofrio should be viewed next fall.

Good Read & I like reading this guy Vishnu's articles

I normally do too but I think he messed up with the stats and their relevance. I think this is Coach D's year to show what he can do but this Total D stat makes little sense to focus on when judging the DC.

Advertisement

I normally do too but I think he messed up with the stats and their relevance. I think this is Coach D's year to show what he can do but this Total D stat makes little sense to focus on when judging the DC.
I'm assuming you believe that scoring defense is the relevant statistic?

Advertisement
The 2011-2012 drop off would get anyone else fired. If this years defense isn't top 40, Onofrio needs to move on.

I don't really care who our defensive coordinator is to be honest, but from 2011 to 2012 we lost:

Spence- Best player
Vernon- Best pass rusher
Ojomo- Starter at either end or tackle
Forston - Starter at tackle
Nicolas- Starter at corner

We also played 2/3 of the season without Porter, our best DT.

Thanks to the failings of the previous regime, we did not have any depth on the d-line to step in to the holes left behind, and our depth at other positions consisted of underclassmen.

Can you really fire someone for that scenario?

Advertisement
How many points does our defense hold FAU to?

Fau - 3
UF - 18
Savannah st - 0
USf - 6

That would be a good start and IMO indicative of the talent that we have. If those first 4 teams score a total of 40 points then will I be absolutely SOLD that he needs to go.

I supported Shannon. I gave him the fsu-Miami game to show something.. ANYTHING.. At a time where most were already calling for his head. 45-17 happened. That's when I said THAT'S IT.

In this situation, most people are ready to axe donofrio right now. I feel like we are more talented on D then we have been so I give coach D the first 4 games of the year to prove he can 1) hold bad teams to low low scores and 2) hold a "top team" and an sec opponent at that under 20 points. If he can't do this, that shows me he is not a high d1 caliber coach.

I'm assuming you believe that scoring defense is the relevant statistic?

Yes, what do you think is the relevant statistic?

The major issue is Coach D had a top 17 SCORING D 2 seasons ago at Miami. That is the main issue. So it isn't **** to print he truth when selling a point. While I am not a fan of Coach D and I sit on the fence, I find the starting point for debate interesting.

Some strong delusion in this thread

From who, be specific Mr. 1 Post.

See how I addressed the person I am talking too.

I have been posting on miami boards for more than half a decade FWIW.

I am referring to the fact that some people are expecting this defense to go from godawful (low 80's in scoring defense I believe) to top 40 in one season. I can't see that happening considering our two biggest flaws, pass rush and interior defense, are going to be only marginally improved. I think it is fair to expect substantial improvement from our D but I don't think a huge improvement is at all likely

Whats the difference between year 3 under Shannon and year 3 under
Golden? Defense wise
Shannon year 3 defense in 2009 was decent

Advertisement
Back