Thoughts On The Game

UMcanesfan420

Senior
Defense gave us a chance. Not there by any means, but I see progression. I wish I could say the same for the offense.

Morris still locks on to the primary. He also guns it to 5 yd routes. Will he ever learn to go through progressions and put touch on the ball?

We literally don't have a TE.

We dropped 2 picks that could've taken points off the board. On one, Bush should've had it. Gunter got the offensive PI from Benjamin and theykicked a FG. The other one was Bush's and he had it, but Gunter tookit from him. Good coverage both times though. I think Gunter dropped another one that had a chance for a pick 6 too. I see some promise for Gunter though.

Kacy Rodgers had one of the biggest WTF? moments I've seen. Completely clueless. If you saw the game, you know what play it was. Manuel threw up a lofty jump ball and #22 looks just lost. He just doesn't belong here.

Can someone explain the end of the half? So the 10 second run off doesn't count if you call a timeout after? They gave us the 5 yds for the penalty, but not the runoff. Announcers ignored it. I think the runoff should've happened. Then they don't give Golden his time out and don't allow him to get subs in. Complete disaster by the refs again. Remember the delay last week on a 2 point conversion? Does this **** happen to anyone else?

I am worried about Morris' "football IQ." Golden preaches this and I don't see it from our QB. On that last 4th down he takes a sack. Even if he chunks it and it's picked, its likely better than the sack. Kid is like Jekyll and Hyde sometimes. One play he looks great and the next 5 he looks like crap.

The OL pass blocks good enough for guys to get open and Morris to find someone IMO.

I don't know what else to put here. This game was winnable. I just hope recruits see that we're going to be better as long as we get some more quality guys. I can't wait for Carter. We need a safety that can come down and murk someone. Rodgers was WOAT tonight. If not for him, the D would've looked even better.

Advertisement
Gunter dropped a pick, not sure if it was a pick 6 because he fell down after knocking it down. It was a nice play, but should have been a pick. Bush should have had a pick. The defense, overall, is still giving up yards, but forcing FSU to kick 5 FG (making 4) was huge, and gave us a chance to win. They didn't play great, but they played good enough for us to win. FSU has one of the nation's best defenses, and it showed. Morris was not 100%, and Duke was not even close to 50% and it showed. Not saying we win if both are 100%, but they are two of our most important players on that side of the ball.

VT, UVA, and Duke have bad defenses, nowhere near UNC, ND and FSU. If we get the defensive effort we got against UNC and FSU, and the offense plays a little better, we win the Coastal.

I liked the defensive gameplan for once. It worked to an extent, and where it didn't, it was because we didn't execute, not because we were outcoached or schemed. On offense I know everyone is calling for more runs, but we were getting stuffed for the most part, so if feel running it more would have been like pounding our heads against a brick wall.

As for the end of the half, according to the rulebook, a team can offset the 10 second runoff by calling timeout. It's a dumb rule, but a rule. Now, why we weren't granted a TO to ice Hopkins makes no sense.

Oh, I forgot the fumble Bush caused that they called incomplete. Close play but we needed that. It was picked up with a convoy of blockers. Donkey balls!

That looked like a fumble to me, since he took at least 1.5, and really 2 steps before being popped. That sure looked like a fumble, and probably a return for a TD making it 17-0.

Advertisement
The run off is only applied if you have no TOs, so you can't use a penalty to stop the clock

Advertisement
Back