Thomas Brown assesses Walton, Burns, and Homer

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
FullSizeRender.jpg

Miami offensive coordinator and running backs coach Thomas Brown spoke about his position group and more on Thursday after the second practice of spring football.

Brown said that freshman Robert Burns has been "pretty good" through two days of practice.

"I think he has a really good skill set. He's a very sharp guy, but panics too much at times which is normal when we're going fast. We gotta tell him to get lined up and play harder -- he's got a long way to go, but it's encouraging to see him through two practices," Brown expanded on Burns.

On sophomore running back Travis Homer, Brown said, "he's been consistent, he's a hard working guy, and he's physical even though we're not in pads yet."

"With Travis, the little details will continue to improve," Brown added.

And of course, Brown had nothing but good things to say about star back Mark Walton.

"Mark is a perfectionist. He will take whatever you tell him and try to make it better so that he can perfect his craft. I think that when the rest of the guys in that room learn to follow that lead example, they'll all get better," he said.

Brown said he would not comment on Trayone Gray's injury status because that is something he will let coach Richt discuss. Gray is recovering from an ACL injury that he suffered during 2016 fall camp.

Advertisement
Hopefully Trayone's recovery is going smooth. The depth he can provide will likely be required at some point in the season.

Former 5star at one point, burns definitely has the talent. With the addition of a college training program to his regimen it should do wonders for him. Excited to see what happens his ability is intriguing

Advertisement
It's kinda confusing how Brown is technically the Offensive Coordinator, but he really only talks about the RBs.

They'll awkwardly ask him a question about the OL or TEs towards the end of interviews. He first looks at them like "wtf you askin me that", but then is like "yea, they alright".

Advertisement
It's kinda confusing how Brown is technically the Offensive Coordinator, but he really only talks about the RBs.

They'll awkwardly ask him a question about the OL or TEs towards the end of interviews. He first looks at them like "wtf you askin me that", but then is like "yea, they alright".

Paying this guy an OC salary is whack. Richt really ***ked the team over here. Hiring his son is salvageable since papa is pretty much the defacto QB coach. But paying Brown 700k instead of the 250k he deserves is horrendous.

Paying this guy an OC salary is whack. Richt really ***ked the team over here. Hiring his son is salvageable since papa is pretty much the defacto QB coach. But paying Brown 700k instead of the 250k he deserves is horrendous.

I remember a time when we complained that we were cheap when it came to paying coaches. And I would say he is earning every penny with the RBs that he recruited. There is more to college coaching than just X's and O's. If nothing else, he deserves a bonus for getting Burns thru 2 practices without getting hurt. I kid!!

Last edited:
Advertisement

Vehemently disagree. He's worth that salary as a recruiter even if he couldn't coach a lick. But he can coach. Walton looked great last year, especially the last 4 or 5 games. He was a better player than the previous year, I thought that was obvious.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Miami needs Homer at running back this year, but you see the way he plays fast and hits hard on special teams so what's to say next year when Lingard and Davis come in he moves to DB. I could see him playing very well at the position.

Advertisement

Brown. RB. Run coordinator
Dorsey. QB. Pass coordinator

Who really complains about a coach's salary who has coached Melvin Gordon historical season, nick Chubb, Sony Michel and now mark walton to successful seasons that last few years and has got a 5 and 4 star committed already for the next class? You can't really do any better than brown as a recruiter and a coach at the position. Smfh

Advertisement
Back