This UTough Thing Needs To Work, Badly

WhatTheHell

"WE CANT DEMAND PERFECTION.”
Banned
There is still a HUGE, HUGE disparity between the physicality of our lines compared to those teams in the top 10. ND and UF specifically come to mind after watching them yesterday. On offense, they are bulldozing people off the ball and opening up laughably large running lanes. They move the LOS back a couple yards every time. On defense, in a single word, they're disruptive. Everything the opposing offense tries to do is disrupted by their d lines. Whether it's collapsing the pocket on a pass play, or getting into the backfield on a run, they take whatever it is you are trying to do and **** all over it.

We need to get stronger, more physical, and more explosive. I still would like to see Al bring in someone fresh and new for the S&C program. Mix it up and see if you can't get a different result. We are closing in on teams in terms of talent at skill positions, but we are far off in the trenches, guysm.

Advertisement
There is still a HUGE, HUGE disparity between the physicality of our lines compared to those teams in the top 10. ND and UF specifically come to mind after watching them yesterday. On offense, they are bulldozing people off the ball and opening up laughably large running lanes. They move the LOS back a couple yards every time. On defense, in a single word, they're disruptive. Everything the opposing offense tries to do is disrupted by their d lines. Whether it's collapsing the pocket on a pass play, or getting into the backfield on a run, they take whatever it is you are trying to do and **** all over it.

We need to get stronger, more physical, and more explosive. I still would like to see Al bring in someone fresh and new for the S&C program. Mix it up and see if you can't get a different result. We are closing in on teams in terms of talent at skill positions, but we are far off in the trenches, guysm.

We played a huge number of true freshmen who have never been through our off-season program. Why is that missed by so many of the posters here?

I agree, but you have to consider that our DLine is very, very young.

Our OLine can be physical, but we employ a finesse run game - both literally and in philosophy. Sometimes those guys look awful in stretch plays. On dives and traps, you see their potential.

Flowers, McCord and Moore were the true freshmen to get work on the lines, and they were used VERY sparingly.

Advertisement
The boys still look like boys...the guys on those teams look like men.

Look at Stephon Tuitt...

112.jpg

Then look at Chickillo...

113.jpg

Those boys on the D-Line need to get whole up. Someone needs to get some juice in their hands. I know **** well Tony has a hookup.

Flowers, McCord and Moore were the true freshmen to get work on the lines, and they were used VERY sparingly.

That's just false re: sparingly. They saw plenty of snaps. King got enough time that we consistently saw him being driven back 5 yards. Pierre was in his first year as a DT and is only a second year player. Chickillo was asked to be the guy taking on multiple blocks and he's only in his second year.

1st and 2nd year guys are trouble at DLine. A guy like William Joseph didn't even make a decent impact inside till his 3rd year on campus. Damione Lewis finally got his stuff together by his 3rd year. That third year is a big year for DTs especially. Unfortunately, in the past, most of those guys were RS Soph for us. Now they're being asked to chip in as True Frosh or True Sophomores.

The older guys - Green, Smith, etc. - are actually fairly strong physically and are the least likely to suddenly make a jump because of UTough.

We need an Orakpo level weight room warrior to get these boys motivated.

Advertisement
I agree, but you have to consider that our DLine is very, very young.

Our OLine can be physical, but we employ a finesse run game - both literally and in philosophy. Sometimes those guys look awful in stretch plays. On dives and traps, you see their potential.

We have a powerline trying to run finesse. Very frustrating to watch.

Muschamp specifically implemented an Olympic weightlifting program after he was disappointed in his team's strength and explosion. It appears it has paid off big time.

Muschamp specifically implemented an Olympic weightlifting program after he was disappointed in his team's strength and explosion. It appears it has paid off big time.

To be fair, that Dline was monstrous with or without the Olympic weightlifting.

Advertisement
My point: if you have ten-foot boards, quit trying to build a fifteen-foot boat.

We DON'T have the mature strength on defense - so WTF are we trying to play two-gap?

If you have more youth and speed, why hold to a two-gap that we clearly CAN'T play, and go ahead and turn the young dogs loose on a one-gap scenario?

I mean, ****!

Look at Stephon Tuitt...

112.jpg

113.jpg

Those boys on the D-Line need to get whole up. Someone needs to get some juice in their hands. I know **** well Tony has a hookup.

That Chickillo pic is from 2011.

My point: if you have ten-foot boards, quit trying to build a fifteen-foot boat.

We DON'T have the mature strength on defense - so WTF are we trying to play two-gap?

If you have more youth and speed, why hold to a two-gap that we clearly CAN'T play, and go ahead and turn the young dogs loose on a one-gap scenario?

I mean, ****!

It's a reasonable argument, and we may have been a better defense this year w/ that approach. But i believe golden and Donofrio are looking at the long term big picture, and they figured we'd reap a lot more benefits next year and thereafter by implementing their system now with all of these young players. And don't forget, that irrespective of what blitz packages Donofrio installed, we seemed to consistently have a player or two make a mental error, resulting in a huge play.

Let's face it, outside of the delusional posters on the various canes' boards, no one expected us to do anything this year, given the lack of talent and ridiculous youth. So doing whatever you can to maximize our success in the coming years was worth the investment. I agree with that philosophy.

Advertisement
Our strength is fine, what we lack is depth and experience. We stood toe to toe with ND for a half, stood up to FSU for 3 quarters. We just didn't have the depth (plus our offense didn't help matters) and our dline wore down as the snaps added up.

Next year we'll have 5th year in Porter, Robinson, and Green, 3rd year Pierre, Chickillo, Grimble, King, and Williams, 2nd year Hamilton, McCord, Hoilett, O'Donnell, Moore, Ivery, Briscoe. 12 guys on the list were in their 1st or 2nd years. 80% of our dline bodies were not physically mature enough to play big time college ball. That number should drop dramatically next year and you'll see the results.

Our team's conditioning is already apparent, but our lack of depth is what gets us.

We played a huge number of true freshmen who have never been through our off-season program. Why is that missed by so many of the posters here?

thank you and u mentioned UF and ND. both those Ds are experienced and older. UFs D is where it is now bc urbans guys developed like floyd and elam

I mean, ****!

its the system they want to run. why run something else when theyre young and then change it later. wouldn't u rather have them learn the system when theyre young and when they bulk up they can actually be beastly in that system rather then having them learn a new system in their junior and senior years.

Look at Stephon Tuitt...

112.jpg

113.jpg

They are also the same class, Tuitt bulked up and became a beast, chick bulked up and became a jag who cant even fall on a fumble. Not sure if he should lose weight and try to go back to his freshman form or just bulk up and move inside, he played well as a freshman and I dont even know what to say about his soph. but it has been beyond a disappointment. Hope he bounces back for his and our sake

Advertisement
Back