This college president says opening colleges will lead to death

rch

Recruit
When did college students become a risk group, I am fairly certain that they are at the very low end of the scale. A better argument
would be the workers, teachers and older adults who work or live near the campus.

Number1CanesFan

Sophomore
When did college students become a risk group, I am fairly certain that they are at the very low end of the scale. A better argument
would be the workers, teachers and older adults who work or live near the campus.
I have a son in college and a nephew going to be a freshman this year. I'm NOT advocating for colleges being closed, but college campuses could become breeding grounds for the virus. Whether students are a risk group is missing the point. College students are not going to isolate themselves on campus. They will be in the local communities and also travel back and forth to their hometowns with the potential to spread the virus at a much higher rate than what we're at now.
We all have to adapt to our changed world. We can do most of our normal activities, but in a safer way that limits the spread of the virus.

Last edited:

rch

Recruit
I have a son in college and a nephew going to be a freshman this year. I'm NOT advocating for colleges being closed, but college campuses could become breeding grounds for the virus. Whether students are a risk group is missing the point. College students are not going to isolate themselves on campus. They will be in the local communities and also travel back and forth to their hometowns with the potential to spread the virus at a much higher rate than what we're at now.
We all of have to adapt to our changed world. We can do most of our normal activities, but in a safer way that limits the spread of the virus.
That was meant to be my point, glad that you expanded on it.

JD08

Non-attorney spokesperson
We all of have to adapt to our changed world. We can do most of our normal activities, but in a safer way that limits the spread of the virus.
Most of those will be asymptomatic and we'll never know if they had it. If one goid thing comes out of this, hopefully it's a keener awareness of germ transmission and cleanliness.

gruntking

Senior
-Based on all the information we have heard regarding the higher risk groups.
-Based on all the information we have about areas, cities, counties, states, countries that have not closed down and are not spreading or dying.
-Based on what we have learned about the virus, about how it spreads, about how long it lives, about where it flourishes.
-Based on what we learned are the most likely reasons that Americans contracted the virus in the first place, and how were the hots spots created.
-Based on that we the majority of the people have learned to protect ourselves against contracting the virus by using methods and PPE.
-Based on that this country needs to get back to some semblance of normal life before mental illness and/or monetary collapse occur.
-Based on those said things and even other things to consider... why can't we by observing already drilled and practiced precautions, and having the colleges employ measure to help prevent spreading the virus, why can't we open up sections of the country including colleges? Are these college kids not able to perceive and take appropriate measures to protect themselves and others. Are they not of a higher IQ.
-Why does the pros and cons to this seem to be painted by using two colors?

Last edited:

Acane4ever

Freshman
Universities are nervous. Buildings aren't required for education. Imagine no $$$ for housing, no $$$$ for food, no $$$ for parking passes etc etc. etc.
They should be very careful how they handle this because the data shows 99% of HEALTHY school aged children will be fine.

JD08

Non-attorney spokesperson
Universities are nervous. Buildings aren't required for education. Imagine no $$$ for housing, no $$$$ for food, no $$$ for parking passes etc etc. etc.
They should be very careful how they handle this because the data shows 99% of HEALTHY school aged children will be fine.
Especially for the Ivies where the connections are worth way more than the education.

Arro

Recruit
We all have to adapt to our changed world. We can do most of our normal activities, but in a safer way that limits the spread of the virus.
That has a simple solution without violating everybody’s constitutional rights so much. Allow kids to go back to college if they want, but then require that they stay on campus until at least March unless there is a vaccine or treatment before then. By then, most or all of them will have already gotten the bug and gotten over it. A lot of the rest of the population will have already developed immunity. Releasing them into the public at that point would not cause a tidal wave of infections that could overrun the hospitals.

hydro66

Junior
How can you put sense in most college kids. Not young adults but kids. I've seen enough Most of them don't know where ALASKA is on the map let alone covid 19 , they probably think it's an energy drink or some type of new drug on the market.

Number1CanesFan

Sophomore
That has a simple solution without violating everybody’s constitutional rights so much. Allow kids to go back to college if they want, but then require that they stay on campus until at least March unless there is a vaccine or treatment before then. By then, most or all of them will have already gotten the bug and gotten over it. A lot of the rest of the population will have already developed immunity. Releasing them into the public at that point would not cause a tidal wave of infections that could overrun the hospitals.
That could work in theory, but there are real factors that would prevent that from happening.

We don't know if have immunity once we get the virus and for how long.. There has been a small number of cases were people were hospitalized with Covid-19, recovered showing only antibodies, and then got it a 2nd time. We don't know why theae people got it a 2nd time, but it appears that the virus remained in the patients at a low level then kicked back up weeks later.

Secondly, college student would have to sign a waiver of being quarantined to campus. That's only 16% of the student population because 60% live off campus, while the other 24% live at home with their parents.

So, even if we have immunity after getting Covid-19, there is no way to isolate students to campus because a majority of them don't live on campus. You could test all students prior to attending school each semester, but I don't know how you test on a regular basis other than doing random sampling and/or testing only those that reside in college dorms.

crossover22[]_[]

[]_[] already know!
And EVERY illness. Save us, oh government. Save us from all illness. I do not feel safe.

People dont comprehend how dangerous the common cold is. I truly believe we should all be forced to wear hazmat suits when going outdoors.