The U Podcast: VT preview & Micheal Barrow interview.šŸ‘

UMinati

Sovereign
Banned
Advertisement
Advertisement
Its 2.5 hrs. Can we get a summary?
Biggest takeaway was Barrow explaining why the defense sucked. Basically it was a mash up of Buddy Ryan's 46, Dom Caper's 3-4, Al Groh's 3-4, and a few others. There were so many checks and wrinkles that it often times meant only the smartest players got on the field (Think Kacey Rodgers and Al Highsmith, Jr.) Guys were thinking way too much.

As mentioned earlier, Pete Carroll showed up because they wanted him to explain some concepts the Seahawks ran on D. Carroll saw our defense up on the board, laughed, and said, "that's way too much stuff," which Barrow constantly harped on to Al. Should be noted Barrow went out of his way not to bury guys. He used words like "we" and "us" when talking about the defense, while acknowledging he knew he should have spoken up more and been insistent on making changes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Also touched on Al's preference for size over speed and talent. Such as Chick playing out of position and overweight, not wanting Perryman at LB etc.

All in all, basically what even a dope like me could identify in year 1, only it's worse hearing it from someone on the staff.

Last edited:
Also touched on Al's preference for size over speed and talent. Such as Chick playing out of position and overweight, not wanting Perryman at LB etc.

All in all, basically what even a dope like me could identify in year 1, only it's worse hearing it from someone on the staff.

Barrow and Brown probably wanted to kill those fools.

The Donofrio ā€œeliteā€ safety recruitment video was cringeworthy. Guys ā€œI been doing this along timeā€.... and Paul Williams sitting in the back doing nothing.

That was a bad time. Iā€™m glad we play decent defense now. Those two ***aloons from Pedd State castrated this defense.

Biggest takeaway was Barrow explaining why the defense sucked. Basically it was a mash up of Buddy Ryan's 46, Dom Caper's 3-4, Al Groh's 3-4, and a few others. There were so many checks and wrinkles that it often times meant only the smartest players got on the field (Think Kacey Rodgers and Al Highsmith, Jr.) Guys were thinking way too much.

As mentioned earlier, Pete Carroll showed up because they wanted him to explain some concepts the Seahawks ran on D. Carroll saw our defense up on the board, laughed, and said, "that's way too much stuff," which Barrow constantly harped on to Al. Should be noted Barrow went out of his way not to bury guys. He used words like "we" and "us" when talking about the defense, while acknowledging he knew he should have spoken up more and been insistent on making changes.
Micheal was the leader of the 91&92 defenses, well respected by everyone on the team and a stand up guy. That hit on Vanover is legendary, best I remember at UM. Big Russ,The Conscience, was the leader in 90. Ironically Gino was on the podcast earlier in the week and he was the offensive leader in 91&92.

Barrow and Brown probably wanted to kill those fools.

The Donofrio ā€œeliteā€ safety recruitment video was cringeworthy. Guys ā€œI been doing this along timeā€.... and Paul Williams sitting in the back doing nothing.

That was a bad time. Iā€™m glad we play decent defense now. Those two ***aloons from Pedd State castrated this defense.
Shows how stubborn some caches can be. Golden had good enough offenses here for the most part, had he made the right changes to the defense he may still be here. ****, canā€™t believe I just said that outloud, so glad heā€™s gone.

Advertisement
Micheal was the leader of the 91&92 defenses, well respected by everyone on the team and a stand up guy. That hit on Vanover is legendary, best I remember at UM. Big Russ,The Conscience, was the leader in 90. Ironically Gino was on the podcast earlier in the week and he was the offensive leader in 91&92.
When you watch it on YouTube you can hear the whole OB just cringe. Legendary.

The crowd reaction to that hit is unequalled in OB history. Even The UM sideline couldnā€™t believe what they just saw! That game was in the top 3 for intensity in Canes history.

Advertisement

@dsddcane was saying this since forever...

I think it may be the loudest ā€œOHHHHHHH!!!ā€ on record for loudest hit reactions.
Like time stood still for a few seconds. With All the noise in the OB, you still heard that hit on the sideline.

When Barrow was explaining the defensive system he played in at Miami, he basically said it was pretty easy. They lined up 90% in a base, and only had like 5 blitz packages out the base. System was simple, which let the players play.

I hate Al Golden and Doh'Nofrio. Feel better every time I type/say that. It's therapeutic. Mike Barrow could be my All-time favorite MLB. The guy MADE PLAYS!

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back