The types of guys that TCU wins with on D

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
TCU does a great job of finding fast, aggressive guys on D that are typically a little undersized and ignored by everyone, and then they make a nasty defense with them.

I was watching this kid Kolbi McGary today.... zero big time offers, and it's not really about him specifically, but it really highlighted the type of kid that Miami area grows on trees and could form an ultra athletic defense with in the back 7. He's about 6'1 200 and he plays DE, LB, and SS for his team but he's probably an SS or OLB at the next level. He is a demon on kickoffs. He will strike you and tell you about it every chance he gets. There is no hesitation when he's coming down to fill a hole or take on a WR in the open field.

Junior Highlights - Kolbi McGary highlights
Senior Highlights - Kolbi McGary highlights

I'm not saying we should offer this kid specifically.... though I bet he does get snatched up by a TCU type in the latter stages of the recruiting game. Like I said, I know the Miami area grows these guys on trees every single year.

I post it to highlight the types of kids that we have really ignored (minus Grace and Gayot) but that the region produces tons of and we need to really emphasize and utilize.

Advertisement
These type of guys need a good strength and conditioning program and usually are not asked to play for a few years to develop

These type of guys need a good strength and conditioning program and usually are not asked to play for a few years to develop

That's true, some do. You still land as many 5 and 4 star types as you can, but let's make recruiting speed and aggression a staple that we target and utilize.

That's why they came all the way to South FLA to recruit Adrienne Talan.

TCU wants explosive, versatile athletes and they don't place too much emphasis on size/weight.

Instead of worry about losing guys to TCU, maybe we should just bring TCU to our guy.

HIRE GARY F'ING PATTERSON.

Advertisement

That's true, some do. You still land as many 5 and 4 star types as you can, but let's make recruiting speed and aggression a staple that we target and utilize.

Yep - plus remember...these raw, physically gifted kids that take a few years to get first and second team reps are the hallmark of special teams units. We used to have tremendous coverage units because we had raw, physically gifted kids lighting people up - weavers, mcglover, walker, Ortega, et al.

Advertisement
Back