The Tale of Dan Enos: Failure In Numbers

WhatTheHell

"WE CANT DEMAND PERFECTION.”
Banned
People are enjoying hyping themselves over the “Bama OC” title he’s held for two weeks, even though he’s never called a single play for Saban.

There’s also rampant and furious *********ion due to the fact that Georgia is rumored to have offered, too. That’s fine, but if you look deeper than that at metrics of substance and numbers that quantify his actual output coaching offenses, there isn’t much to get excited about. There isn’t a pattern showing a history of routinely fielding great offenses.

Let’s look at the results. This is a post examining cold hard facts and indisputable numbers — Not one about who’s rumored to be pursuing him, or his job title, but objective stats. Stats Penos can’t escape.

He was the head coach at Central Michigan from 2010-2014. He had full control of that team. He could’ve run any offense he wanted. Here’s what he did:

Total offense:
2010: 49th
2011: 57th
2012: 64th
2013: 110th
2014: 70th

Scoring Offense:
2010: 82nd
2011: 91st
2013: 96th
2014: 81st

So he winds up in Arkansas with that Butthead looking weirdo Belima. Here’s what he does as offensive coordinator:

Total Offenss:
2015: 25th
2016: 54th
2017: 94th

Scoring Offense:
2015: 27th
2016: 57th
2017: 61st

If you look at just his resume alone, he’s a terrible candidate. Not only is he not a fit for the style that best suits us AND the one Manny claimed to want, he has nothing in his history to indicate he’s capable of engineering highly powered and productive offenses. He can’t move the ball. He can’t score.

You throw his resume up against a guy like Fedora’s and he gets absolutely run out of the building. People like him because they hear “Alabama offensive coordinator” and we’re so desperate to be good we’ll like anything, so they build a small fire and grunt around it “hur hur Saban hur hur Bama OC” without delving any further into his past production or style.

Coming back to the facts:

Penos produced ONE respectable offensive unit in SEVEN seasons.

We can post homerun gifs or talk about which coaches wanted him, but when it has come time to put a successful offense on the field, he’s failed to do so 85% of the seasons he’s coached.

And those remain the facts.

I hope he has some late-career revelation that turns him into an offensive savant, but as of now, all he’s proven is that’s he’s a journeyman guy running an offense that seldom produces and is pretty opposite of what Manny said he wanted.

God help us all.

Last edited:
Advertisement
\
Total offense:

So he winds up in Arkansas with that Butthead looking weirdo Belima. Here’s what he does as offensive coordinator:

\
Wow, 8 years calling plays and 2 of them being top 50, one of which was 49....Anyone else have an erection?

Last edited:
People are enjoying hyping themselves over the “Bama OC” title he’s held for two weeks, even though he’s never called a single play for Saban.

There’s also rampant and furious *********ion due to the fact that Georgia is rumored to have offered, too. That’s fine, but if you look deeper than that at metrics of substance and numbers that quantify his actual output coaching offenses, there isn’t much to get excited about. There isn’t a pattern showing a history of routinely fielding great offenses.

Let’s look at the results. This is a post examining cold hard facts and indisputable numbers — Not one about who’s rumored to be pursuing him, or his job title, but objective stats. Stats Penos can’t escape.

He was the head coach at Central Michigan from 2010-2014. He had full control of that team. He could’ve run any offense he wanted. Here’s what he did:

Total offense:

If you look at just his resume alone, he’s a terrible candidate. Not only is he not a fit for the style that best suits us AND the one Manny claimed to want, he has nothing in his history to indicate he’s capable of engineering highly powered and productive offenses.

You throw his resume up against a guy like Fedora’s and he gets absolutely run out of the building. People like him because they hear “Alabama offensive coordinator” and we’re so desperate to be good we’ll like anything, so they build a small fire and grunt around it “hur hur Saban hur hur Bama OC” without delving any further into his past production or style.

Coming back to the facts:

Penos produced ONE respectable offensive unit in SEVEN seasons.

We can post homerun gifs or talk about which coaches wanted him, but when it has come time to put a successful offense on the field, he’s failed to do so 85% of the seasons he’s coached.

And those remain the facts.

God help us.

So you would rather have Richt and his 4 verts huh?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I believe Manny when he said we will run up-tempo and an offense that will stress the defense. Listen, good coaches base their system off of the players they have. We do not have a pro-rated QB in our locker room right now, I doubt he's going to run a pro-style offense. We haven't even seen Enos coach a down at Miami and some are already saying it's a bad hire. DONT BE A FAN LATER

Can’t make heads or tails of this guy.

Seems like he’s held in high regard by the coaching establishment, but the numbers are underwhelming.

Manny swears this guy is “innovative.”

I’m interested to hear him explain his philosophy.

I look forward to Susan’s hard-hitting questions...

Advertisement
Advertisement
While at Media Day, Hurts added, “I think it has made a big difference, him and Coach Locksley being in the same room being able to put their hands on me. It’s been a very productive year.”
. Didn’t know these two where Sandusky desciples.

I wanted a spread/Air Raid style of guy for OC. I thought if we could get that kind of system in here and surround an OC with ace recruiters, then we could sit back and watch the profits roll in.

However...I've got to trust Manny here. I think I remember Manny saying in an interview somewhere he would look for a guy who was the type that gave him issues as a defense. He's played against Enos before when Manny was at Miss St and Enos was at Arky. Maybe Manny feels like Enos can give other DC's a challenge like he did to Manny. I'm not crazy about the system being more pro-style when I was expecting an Air Raid type of hire...but Enos knows QBs, and can get the most out of them. QB play has been an Achilles heel at Miami for far too long...maybe Enos is the guy to fix that.

Right/wrong/otherwise - I do like the optics of taking him from Bama. Even if Saban didn't necessarily want him, the fact that we peeled him away when he was assumed the de facto OC-to-be has a good look to it. UGA announcing the Coley OC hire right after we announce that we landed Enos looks good too. Now...whether it will actually work and turn into production or not - we'll all see.

I get the concerns, I really do. But I'm willing to give him an honest shot.

You need to compare his offenses to the teams that are comparable to his own. His Central Michigan offense will undoubtedly be ranked low.

Arkansas was the best barometer and he produced 1 elite offense and two middling offenses. The offense cratered after he left (~50 spots), so he does seem to be a top quartile coach. He may not be top 10%, but not may are......

Advertisement
Back