The personality of the offense

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Anyone else sense a shift in the character of our offense this year?

The four top playmakers on the 2011 offense (Jacory, Miller, Streeter, Benjamin) are great kids and true big play threats. But they're not exactly what you would call blue-collar.

Now look at the guys replacing them. Morris has shown he will stand in the pocket and take punishment. He's not one to slide in the open field, either. All three of the top running backs (James, Clements, Duke) are pure football players who could easily flip to defense and lay wood. And the receiving corps is led by guys like Hurns and Dorsett who are grinders and Golden boys.

With all of the talent on the line, there is no reason why this shouldn't be a tough-powerful, tough-minded offense.

Advertisement
Jagaga and friends were not football players. They were great sandlot players.

Jagaga was soft. Miller was damaged in high school. Streeter was inexperienced.

We have football players now.

It's not just the offense. It's the team in general. We're slowly transitioning from a soft, finesse team into a tough, hard-nosed football team.

I don't really care what kind of players they are.

Until we can beat FSU and ND, at least play for the ACC title, maybe go to a BCS game; I don't care about it.

Advertisement
Agree 100%. Will be interesting to see the progress trhough Summer and how it translates to on field performance.

I think that that transition was evident this year in special teams. We gave up way fewer long plays on kick-offs compared to the previous year and finished plays off

Advertisement
That said, while the team will be tougher - without knowing what we'll get from the freshmens - this year's offense will HAVE to be blue collar. As has been noted many times, there just isn't a lot of firepower. At best, we'll resemble VT from the mid-90s and mid-Aughts on offense this year. Grind it out. Play D. Make other teams beat you.

I don't really care what kind of players they are.

Until we can beat FSU and ND, at least play for the ACC title, maybe go to a BCS game; I don't care about it.

I'd neg you if I could for adding nothing to the discussion with that post. Alas I must spread some rep around...

Anyway, 2/4 Shannon guys D$ mentioned were soft to me. Jacory started off as a big play guy, transitioned into a turnover machine, and finally finished as a decent game manager. His in game demeanor and response to bad plays is what made him soft however. Streeter was definitely a big play guy when he finally got his chance. Benjamin as well. Benjamin really manned up his final year as far as attacking the ball in the air went I thought. Miller I remember way more for never finishing runs and fading down the stretch horrendously, than I do for any of the big plays he made.

As for the new players and the offense... It's hard for me to say that I'm sensing a shift yet. No one is overtly soft I agree but an offense's character is more than that. Once the games start I'll get a better feel for it. The offense and it's parts need more time to develop as a whole. Hurns is a possession guy so I can agree that he's a grinder. Morris is tough and doesn't show the wrong emotions at all when he plays so I agree there. Dorsett I'm not sure on. He's supposed to be a speed guy. He's shown flashes but he's too young/undeveloped to know what he is imo.

The offenses character this year to me, will be defined by the offensive line. The line has the most guys with experience and the most talent. Where they go, the offense will follow.

As we all said many-a-time during the coker years, over time a team will take on the personality of its head coach. I think we're slowly seeing that in Coral Gables.

Advertisement
[]_[]Fan2010;370503 said:
I think that that transition was evident this year in special teams. We gave up way fewer long plays on kick-offs compared to the previous year and finished plays off

Good point.

While it may take a few games under fire we will be better on offense this year even though we lost some fine play maker's.

Jacory- Morris has had a extra year in this offense,has a stronger arm and ability to run the ball.---- Equal or slight upgrade.

Miller- Duke will fill in this spot with ease, speed to burn, great vision and one mean stiff-arm. Plus he will finish his runs which Miller never did. Also OT is a fine short yardage back you will fight till the end. ---- Slight upgrade.

Streeter and Benjamin- Scott i believe will fill in for Tommy ,he seems to be coming on strong has great hands,wide body and better then average speed and run's great routes. Between Dorsett ,Hurns and the 5 or 6 new WR's coming in atleast 2 of these guys will step up and i think we will have our strongest WR group in many years.--- Slight upgrade.

I do believe the OL will be the best we have had in years ,being better conditioned and stronger and also smarter

. This OL if it survives injury's will add a few great win's next year.

TE- With Chase Ford gone and not missing blocks leading to sacks this year players must step up which should be very easy to do. Clevland is now over his injurys and i think will step up big-time. --- Slight upgrade.

This team may take a few games to gel on offense but after that i believe will be even better then last year. If the Defense steps up it should be a very interesting year. Bigger, stronger, faster with a extra year under the new coaching regime- Proud to be a CANE

Advertisement
I think we will miss the players from last year a lot more than we want to admit... I don't think our O will suck but I believe it will be extremely conservative... I think we have the talent at tightend to give our qbs a safety net... I expect 2013 to be the year where O expands and our young players come into their own... Say what you want about Jacory but he made some great plays to keep us in games and he wasn't even on the field that long... Games such as UVA, VT, and KSU displayed some great passes by him... T3 will be missed as well as Streeter... If Hurns is healthy he'll be good... He just has a history of being injured... I just think its premature to expect a lot of these to step in and have a better performance than most of our big play players from last year... I like Duke but I highly doubt he'll be an upgrade over Miller next year... Maybe down the line but not next year... We didnt have a bad offense last year... We had some really good players that a lot of teams would trade for...

Are any of you thinking we are trying to use some of the elements of Stanford's offense? I remember Fisch talking in terms of New England's off.

Definitely think we're seeing a different kind of player being brought in by Golden. That said, it's gonna be a long road because this years team is not gonna do much on the field. Too many question marks, to few playmakers, razor thin depth and way too underclassmen playing significant roles to expect a great season. We just need find another round of guys like Chick and Perryman to continue building the foundation of a winning team.

Advertisement
Back