The NFL draft proved that

Canething

Junior
4 & 5 star rankings from Rivals means nada, zippo! This draft proved that we have a CEO that knows how to evaluate and develop talent, see Temple draft. See advice given to our juniors that left early.

It's all about developing talent, and you have to agree that Golden gets an A+. What he acomplished at temple is nothing short of a miracle.

So next time when you see an offer to a 3 star player , don't fret, just trust the CEO and his staff know something you and I don't. I give rivals the one finger salute, and to all star ***** don't believe the hype.

Go canes!

Advertisement
the draft didnt prove that

college football proves that every year

superior coaching will always win

Once again, the argument that stars don't tell you anything is false and the draft proved the opposite, if anything. How many four and five star kids were drafted in round 1? Now how many two and three star kids? Now consider that there are thousands of two and three star kids each year, as opposite to 25 five stars and 125 or so four stars. Those numbers don't lie.

I'm not sayin for a staff the stars matter, because they can and should recruit on their own evaluations. But for a fan to think there's no info in star rankings is just naive, to say the least.

i thought we already knew that star rankings were just a small indicator of a players potential and body of high school work.

do stars matter? do they not matter? who really gives a ****...

the star system is just an easier way to follow and classify recruits. Just because a guy is a 5 star in high school doesnt mean hes going to have a great college and nfl career, and it also doesnt make that player a "bust" when they underachieve.

Advertisement
Stars do matter. They aren't the end all but they do matter. All top programs develope players but developing a guy that is 6'4" and runs a 4.35 will give you an advantage of a developed guy that is 5'11" and runs a 4.6. I think in some cases players are successful because of their teammates more than them. You take the 2008 northwestern class and what could could defend those 3 receivers. Some guys fail to take the mental step in college as in high school they were just better then who they were matched up with.

I always considered stars a good indicator of the athlete. Not so much of how well he can develop as a football player. I always like a team that has a good mix of 5,4,3,and 2 star guys.

Stars do matter. They aren't the end all but they do matter. All top programs develope players but developing a guy that is 6'4" and runs a 4.35 will give you an advantage of a developed guy that is 5'11" and runs a 4.6. I think in some cases players are successful because of their teammates more than them. You take the 2008 northwestern class and what could could defend those 3 receivers. Some guys fail to take the mental step in college as in high school they were just better then who they were matched up with.

This. There are always outliers.

I'll have the 5,4 and some 3 star talent and you can have the 3, 2, and NR talent. Then lets see who wins.

Now the star rating isnt all you need. You also need coaches to teach the 5/4 star guy to play College Football. Its a big step from high school to College

Advertisement
I'll have the 5,4 and some 3 star talent and you can have the 3, 2, and NR talent. Then lets see who wins.

Now the star rating isnt all you need. You also need coaches to teach the 5/4 star guy to play College Football. Its a big step from high school to College

deal, I take saban and you take shannon. ready, go.

Advertisement
Give me a staff that can evaluate talent any day over the catalog shoppers. Jimmy, & Butch, we're great talent evaluator , Golden seems to to be in the same mold. Erickson, Coker not so much. I give Shannon credit in bringing in talent , but a complete FUBAR on developing talent and fostering a winning culture.

Once again, the argument that stars don't tell you anything is false and the draft proved the opposite, if anything. How many four and five star kids were drafted in round 1? Now how many two and three star kids? Now consider that there are thousands of two and three star kids each year, as opposite to 25 five stars and 125 or so four stars. Those numbers don't lie.

I'm not sayin for a staff the stars matter, because they can and should recruit on their own evaluations. But for a fan to think there's no info in star rankings is just naive, to say the least.

There are actually 50 5 stars and 250 4 stars on scout. Doing a rough estimate I'd say 50% of the 1st rounders were 4 and 5 stars. The issue is that Florida 4 and 5 stars are disproportionally more likely to bust than other states for some reason. Not sure why that is. On the other hand the state is loaded with 2 and 3 stars who make it.

Advertisement
P

There are actually 50 5 stars and 250 4 stars on scout. Doing a rough estimate I'd say 50% of the 1st rounders were 4 and 5 stars. The issue is that Florida 4 and 5 stars are disproportionally more likely to bust than other states for some reason. Not sure why that is. On the other hand the state is loaded with 2 and 3 stars who make it.
there are fewer on Rivals, but no matter, the point is the same.

The reason Florida kids may be seen as more likely to bust, if that's even true, could be that it has had atrocious coaching at two of the three big programs for a loooong time.

You totally made up your stats

could be that you get thug HS coaches who are **** poor.... in addition to having poor teachers, Florida also has poor coaches.

The stars argument is like the 40 yard dash argument. There are a lot of guys that are rated high that work out and a lot that don't. There are a lot of guys that blaze their 40 and can't be caught on the field (Deion, CJ2K) and guys who are slow in the 40 and dominate anyway (Irvin, Boldin). It always comes back to work ethic and self motivation...and coaching certainly helps.

Advertisement
Back