The most underrated players in South Florida

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Every year, South Florida produces talented players who are ignored by the recruiting services. Sometimes, as we saw with Sheldrick Redwine and Ronnie Hoggins, the big schools catch on late. But a lot of guys still fall through the cracks of the Power 5. Here are a few legit players that aren't getting the attention they deserve:

Richie Cooper, WR, Hallandale (committed to Northern Illinois)- Local kids like John Brown, TY Hilton and Antonio Brown have developed from deadly returners into into dynamic NFL receivers. Cooper is next in line. Everybody knows he is an elite returner, but his evisceration of Central for 136 yards in the state playoffs proved that he is a receiver first. He brings an element that a lot of teams lack, including the Hurricanes.

Senior highlights- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2700834/highlights/171413375
Central game- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2700834/highlights/208325576

Adrienne Talan, OLB, Flanagan- Personally, I like defensive players with twitch and aggressiveness. You can teach technique and improve strength. But with twitch and nastiness, you either have it or you don't. Talan has both in spades. He played everywhere in the Falcons defense and was a demon on special teams. His versatility and athleticism remind me of a smaller Ryan Shazier. Not everyone on this list is necessarily Miami-caliber, but Talan is.

Senior highlights- www.hudl.com/athlete/1603592/highlights/210064413

Robert Knowles, S, Edison- This guy might be my favorite prospect in the class. His recruitment has been a mystery, and I have no idea what his grades or off-field situation is. As a football player, though?

cisproxy.php

Knowles is explosive, light on his feet, and nasty. He's a legit 6'2 with the frame to grow into a big safety. If his grades check out, he should have been offered yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Ezk463O5Q

Austin Maloney, WR, Columbus (committed to FIU)- People overlook Maloney because he is a white guy. But all you need to do is watch the tape against Killian, Flanagan and Central to know that he is one of the best pure playmakers in South Florida. He has great hands and technique, and he is one of the most physical receivers in the region. While he's not a speedster, he's a quick and explosive athlete who can excel on offense, defense or special teams. If FIU keeps him, he will set records there.

Senior highlights- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1581026/highlights/158346376

Ryan "Sunshine" Stanley, QB, Flanagan (committed to FAMU)- This one is a head-scratcher. Stanley is a good-sized passer with a quality arm on a top team. He finished with 3,431 total yards and 40 total TDs. He's not a good athlete- he's a GREAT athlete with true dual-threat ability. So why is he going to FAMU? No idea. He's a bit inconsistent, but that's normal for a high school quarterback. Stanley has come up big in tough spots against fast defenses and still has a lot of upside. He should be playing in the Power 5.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1429723/highlights/173085375

Rashad Fenton, CB, Carol City (leaning to UCF)- Fenton brings a complete package of skills to the table. He's a good-sized corner (6-foot) with excellent ball skills (10 INTs over the past two years). He was the best returner in Dade this year, and he also made plays on offense. People question his speed and funky running style but he still found a way to make explosive plays every week against top competition. Carol City players usually produce in college and Fenton should be no exception.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3235798/highlights/199314397

Khalid McGee, SS, Northwestern (committed to USF)- If you're looking for an in-the-box safety, there aren't many better than Khalid McGee. He made his name as a young player by knocking guys out on special teams. While he's still very physical, he has developed into one of the better open-field tacklers in the city. McGee reminds me a bit of former 'Canes starter James Lewis. What he lacks in range, he makes up for in instincts and fearlessness.

Senior highlights- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1664853/highlights/200496383

Bruce Davis, OLB, Killian (leaning to Cincinnati)- Davis is one of the new-age linebackers who can cover, blitz and make plays sideline-to-sideline. Whenever you watched Killian's dominant defense, you saw #12 in the center of the action. He reminds me of an off-brand Jermaine Grace.

Senior highlights- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3208640/highlights/199308383

Shawn Lee Curtis, OLB/DE, Ronald Reagan (leaning to UCF)- This might be the first time we've talked about Ronald Reagan High School on the Recruiting Board. Curtis came out of nowhere to put up 21 sacks and generate a ton of buzz as a senior. Not only is he productive, but he is also a true student-athlete with outstanding measurables (6'3, 235, 4.6). Curtis won't fit every system, and his stiffness makes him somewhat of a one-trick pony. But it's a **** of a trick. Everyone needs pass rushers, and few are as good going forward as Curtis.

Senior highlights- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2525508/highlights/165599375

Anthony Jones, WR/RB, Central- A lot of people did a double-take when they saw #4 making plays for Central this year. Jones isn't as fast as his cousin, Dalvin Cook, but he's a stellar athlete and player in his own right. Jones sat out last year due to a problem with his credits, but he exploded this year to become Central's MVP. He played Wildcat, RB, WR and returner and scored 20 total TDs. When the games were the toughest, Roland Smith put the ball in his hands. Jones can succeed at a lot of positions in college, but I like his upside as a physical receiver.

Senior highlights- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3315741/highlights/179740375

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's stuff like this that show how inept our coaches are. So much talent and we ignore it. Atleast 3 of those kids should be canes

2013 quote about Knowles:

If you’ve never watched this football talent perform, you are missing out on what may be one of the top five pure football players in south Florida. This is one of those prospects who can play five or six different positions on the field – and look great at all of them. There is little doubt that he has the body to play receiver or in the secondary, the Red Raiders have stretched his skill level to both sides of the ball – and on special teams. He is that good and that effective.

Have to really wonder what the story is.....

It's stuff like this that show how inept our coaches are. So much talent and we ignore it. Atleast 3 of those kids should be canes

And if they were your post would have been how inept the staff is because we are competing with FAU, FIU and UCF for players.

So why are USF,FIU, FAMU, Cincinnati the schools they are committed to? We need higher rated players. Enough with the Ricardo Williams, Thomas Finnie, Jawand Blue, Vernon Davis, Larry Hope, Dmauri Jones, Asante Clevelands...... Etc

Advertisement
Only reason Knowles dont got an offer likely cuz he plays at Edison.

Edison isnt a hot bed anymore..so schools aint rolling up in there like that....

Despite wht people think..these college coaches go to the same **** schools down here...and alot of schools get left out or underrecruited....

and if your head coach doesnt have college connections or sent other kids to schools then you on the outside looking in.

Al Golden is too busy scouring the the Garden State for some coal shovelers. No time for South Florida talent.

Advertisement
This list just goes to show how many bad recruiters are in the lower tier big ten schools. If I'm a recruiter at schools such as Indiana and Illinois I would make everyone on D Moneys list a priority. If these guys played in those states they would be close to the best player in the state. I would also add Keavon Mitchell, the WR from Flanagan to this list.

This list just goes to show how many bad recruiters are in the lower tier big ten schools. If I'm a recruiter at schools such as Indiana and Illinois I would make everyone on D Moneys list a priority. If these guys played in those states they would be close to the best player in the state. I would also add Keavon Mitchell, the WR from Flanagan to this list.

Yeah I never understood why one of those bottom tier power 5 conference teams don't do that.

The best school on that list is UCF.

I know someone on a big ten staff and I try to pass along names to him. His head coach is an *** though. He doesn't really want to hear about a kid that doesn't have other offers. I really wish he would tell his head coach, "we are a ****** *** school, we don't have a shot with the kids that already have offers."

Advertisement

How ironic that our head coach fits that description perfectly.

Advertisement
Only reason Knowles dont got an offer likely cuz he plays at Edison.

Edison isnt a hot bed anymore..so schools aint rolling up in there like that....

Despite wht people think..these college coaches go to the same **** schools down here...and alot of schools get left out or underrecruited....

and if your head coach doesnt have college connections or sent other kids to schools then you on the outside looking in.

and why is it that you know this and some people on the CIS board know this, but our coaches don't?

how on earth is knowles not being highly recruited... kids shouldn't fall through the cracks these days with the amount of coverage recruiting gets. someone get that kids tape to the coaches.

D$ extremely good find on Knowles, I ******* love what he brings to the table. Why the **** does he not have a Miami offer!?

As for the other kids. Give me Jones, Fenton, McGee, Talan, Cooper and Maloney. And obviously Knowles too.

Amazing how these kids are flying under the radar, especially Knowles.

Advertisement
Back