THE DOWNLO w/MIDLO. Canes & college football stuff. 11/12/23

Advertisement
1601649256006.png

Advertisement
Good read on Garin Justice and the O-line.
Great article, but behind a pay wall, some wont be able to read.. Best article on offense and of course not from anyone who has covered canes fulltime down here.. this article actually deserves its own thread..

My favorite parts:

Then came Justice, who had been UNLV’s offensive coordinator and line coach after stints working as Lane Kiffin’s offensive line coach at FAU and as a Division II head coach at West Virginia’s Concord University.

Gaynor said the biggest changes the new offensive staff has made is simplifying the system, cutting down the number of plays in the offensive package and ramping up the tempo. “Coach Justice is the type of coach that just makes you want to work harder for him,” he said, “because he’s just such a good guy, and such a really great leader for us.”

Justice was a big reason why Houston grad transfer Jarrid Williams picked the Hurricanes over USC, Baylor, Florida State and Ole Miss. Combined with the coaching turnover that Houston has had in recent years, Justice is actually Williams’ sixth offensive line coach in college. And though the 6-6, 308-pound Williams never got a chance to visit Miami’s campus in the recruiting process, he felt a strong connection with Justice and was struck by how technically sound the coach came across in their conversations over Zoom.

“When I got here, I was just praying that it was the same way,” Williams said, “and it has been.”

When Diaz hired Lashlee, one of the points of emphasis was to simplify the Hurricanes’ offensive system to allow their offense to play faster, which would also align with the temperament of their attacking, aggressive-style defense. Essentially, Miami now has four base run plays — the inside zone, the power, the counter and the outside zone. Both Lashlee (from Auburn) and Justice (from West Virginia), have deep roots in running inside zone. Justice also has a lot of experience utilizing the outside zone, something Lashlee said that Auburn didn’t do much of in his time with Tigers.

“I think as a coach coming in on Sunday, after you finish playing a Saturday game, you very rarely look back on it and say, ‘Man, they were just all over every play we had,’” Justice said. “It’s more, we had a communication breakdown or someone fundamentally was bad. We never say, man, we shoulda ran more plays.

Scheme matters to the offensive line in terms of what those people are being asked to do because there’s been some offensive lines that have had some outstanding performances and some schools have had some outstanding performances throughout the years without necessarily having outstanding players.
This quote here is what many have talked about for years, forcing pro style that requires elite players at every position when teams with lesser talent can get more production out of offense much easier..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back