The Big Finish

View as article

Lance Roffers

Junior
Miami has experienced a down year in baseball thus far, stumbling to a 16-20 mark with an embarrassing 2-7 mark in mid-week games this season. Despite the disappointment to this point, the Canes still have an opportunity over the next 18 games for a big finish that could propel them into the NCAA tournament.

The RPI currently sits at 57, which will need to improve over the next few weeks to get any real attention, but there are opportunities for some nice wins starting tonight with a home series against Pittsburgh. They are 19-15 on the season and a respectable 8-10 in ACC play, landing them with an overall RPI of 93. They have series wins over Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Boston College. With the games starting to run out, Miami truly needs to win this series to have any chance of making the tournament and a sweep should be the focus. Expect Miami to take two of three and raise their record to 18-21.

Despite their poor mid-week record this year, expect Miami to beat FIU at home to raise their record to 19-21.

If Miami wants to have a realistic chance at the tournament they are going to need to win at least one game against Florida State at their place, and a series victory would start to turn the chances in Miami's favor. Florida State is 26-12, but are currently a disappointing 8-9 in conference. I predict Miami goes on the road and takes two of three to get to 21-22 on the season.

Expect Miami to sweep a bad Bethune-Cookman team to run their record over .500 since they started 2-1 against Rutgers at the beginning of the year at 24-22.

Miami takes care of business against FGCU and gets to 25-22. Chris McMahon is that talented that I believe in him to get Miami hot in mid-week games.

Virginia Tech is a solid ballclub, but they are 16-21 on the season and even on the road, Miami will take two of three to get that series win. Miami moves to 27-23 on the season.

Stetson is a very good club, going 6-4 during mid-week games to this point. Expect a Miami team that starts to see an opportunity to pull this one and move to 28-23 on the season.

Miami ends the season at home against a Boston College team that has struggled all year at 13-23 and 5-13 in the ACC. I'm predicting a Miami sweep to move the Canes record to 31-23 on the season.

This finish would move Miami to 18-12 in the ACC, two wins better than last year when they finished 16-13. The record would be a touch better and they would have series wins over two very good opponents to end the season. It is my prediction that Miami finds a way to get an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament as they have found a formidable top of their lineup with freshmen Freddy Zamora, Willie Escala, Gabe Rivera, and Isaac Quinones playing well. Romy has started to play better and the depth of arms is there to beat any opponent remaining on the schedule.

The season has gone quickly but the finish is setup to be big. Let's Go Canes!

Advertisement
Wow - I hope you are right, but call me skeptical. This team, and coaching staff, has simply not shown enough consistency on a weekly basis to expect this kind of run. I actually think 2/3 at FSU has a higher probability than winning the rest of the mid-week games, McMahon or no McMahon.

I will give you credit for sticking your neck out though - good luck w your prediction. I'd love to say you called it in a few weeks.

Advertisement
There isn't gonna be a happy ending to this season. Just forget about it. And I'm generally a glass half full guy. Not one of the power hitters we recruited this year have figured out how to hit a lick in college. They aren't turning it around now. Where would be if the middle infield and Quinones hadn't hit so somewhat surprisingly well this season???

Advertisement
This is hands down the worst UM baseball team in the last 40+ years.

Considering we missed the regionals for the first time in 44 years last year, you have to go even farther than 40 years

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami baseball has sucked since 2008. I think the program just died that year. Similar to football when the college football powers that be gifted Taint with our 6th NC in 2002. Just never the same after that.

Advertisement
Back