REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

So they are going to 18?

ACC needs to not overthink this. Get Notre Dame and get TCU or Baylor.

I think the ACC would be ok so long as they get ND, which pains me to say. The fourth conference would be the runts left over from the Big 12 and PAC 12.
Yeah but there is an extremely large gap between the potential ACC and the potential B1G.

Advertisement
We are not f*cked yet, but we are definitely bent over the desk with our pants down. The d*ck is otw.

Yeah but there is an extremely large gap between the potential ACC and the potential B1G.
100%. Just as there is now. Swofford thought small and got us here. When you’re reacting instead of acting first, you get caught with your pants down and making the best of it. The Big 10 and SEC made themselves desirable landing spots because of the size of their payouts, and were proactive. The ACC didn’t and wasn’t.

We are not f*cked yet, but we are definitely bent over the desk with our pants down. The d*ck is otw.

Wrong. If the ACC can pick up ND and Penn State, that is a HUGE boost for the ACC, and most would probably agree that the ACC would have made out better in the realignment than the Big10. If the ACC can pick up ND and one of TCU or Baylor, that is still a very big boost for the ACC and on par with any move the Big10 would have made.

So they are going to 18?

ACC needs to not overthink this. Get Notre Dame and get TCU or Baylor.

I think the ACC would be ok so long as they get ND, which pains me to say. The fourth conference would be the runts left over from the Big 12 and PAC 12.

You are forgetting a key Texas school - the University of Houston. It has an enormous local market (5th largest in the country) and the only reason it's not a P5 school is that the University of Texas made sure they were kept out of the Big 12.

Adding Penn State and ND would be an excellent conference hitting most major markets east of the Mississippi.

BTW- UCF is a terrible school quality wise but Orlando is also a giant TV market. Forget about geography and rivalries, look at the schools in the best market.

Advertisement
ACC also ****ed itself, or at least it's member institutions when they re-negotiated the media rights with ESPN. I'm going off memory and I've had about 7,000 beers since I last researched this, but I believe they changed the charter after Maryland left and upped the exit fee to $50M, making it cost-prohibitive for any school to leave the conference. To boot, if they do leave, ACC/ESPN retains said schools media rights for the duration of the current deal, which runs through 2028 or 2032. So yeah, Swafford really locked the conference into mediocrity for the long-term.

ACC also ****ed itself, or at least it's member institutions when they re-negotiated the media rights with ESPN. I'm going off memory and I've had about 7,000 beers since I last researched this, but I believe they changed the charter after Maryland left and upped the exit fee to $50M, making it cost-prohibitive for any school to leave the conference. To boot, if they do leave, ACC/ESPN retains said schools media rights for the duration of the current deal, which runs through 2028 or 2032. So yeah, Swafford really locked the conference into mediocrity for the long-term.
That's pretty common for all of the conferences actually. OU and Texas will likely have to pay an exist fee and the Big12 owns their Tier 1 TV rights until 2025. They'll have to negotiate their way out of that.

You think you can argue with F Lee Bailey and win that argument?
Well, he's wrong in this instance. A scenario where legislature approval is required is identical to a scenario where there is a law on the books. Both would require legislature approval for anything to happen. Pretty easy to see that.

Now, it turns out that maybe neither of those scenarios is reality, but that's not what we were going back and forth about.

Advertisement
You think you can argue with F Lee Bailey and win that argument?
He’s dead.

You are forgetting a key Texas school - the University of Houston. It has an enormous local market (5th largest in the country) and the only reason it's not a P5 school is that the University of Texas made sure they were kept out of the Big 12.

Adding Penn State and ND would be an excellent conference hitting most major markets east of the Mississippi.

BTW- UCF is a terrible school quality wise but Orlando is also a giant TV market. Forget about geography and rivalries, look at the schools in the best market.
I’d think that FSU/Miami covers Orlando in the TV market map when negotiating, but can’t imagine either want to give UCF their move to one of the big conferences. Houston is a good one too. Keep in mind, TCU is practically Dallas too.

He’s dead.

I’d think that FSU/Miami covers Orlando in the TV market map when negotiating, but can’t imagine either want to give UCF their move to one of the big conferences. Houston is a good one too. Keep in mind, TCU is practically Dallas too.
Yep, FSU and Miami aren't going to give UCF that move. Also, I'd venture to guess that Miami and FSU get more TV sets turned on in Orlando that UCF but a wide margin.

So Oklahoma is giving up a free path to the playoffs every year to compete with Alabama for conference titles? Doesn't sound that smart to me tbh, but I'm sure there's plenty of money involved.

Well, he's wrong in this instance. A scenario where legislature approval is required is identical to a scenario where there is a law on the books. Both would require legislature approval for anything to happen. Pretty easy to see that.

Now, it turns out that maybe neither of those scenarios is reality, but that's not what we were going back and forth about.
It’s not actually, because if the law was passed 10 years ago or whenever, the make up of the legislature is completely different now and will be years from now too when they would have to have a vote on it. A law is set in stone indefinitely. If something has to be voted on at some point in the undetermined future, by legislators and a governor not yet known, that’s not at all the same. The people voting on it and the circumstances at the time of the vote make a huge difference…

Advertisement
So Oklahoma is giving up a free path to the playoffs every year to compete with Alabama for conference titles? Doesn't sound that smart to me tbh, but I'm sure there's plenty of money involved.
If they are moving to a 12 team playoff, ESPN will make sure the SEC gets 8 of the spots. Pretty good odds.

It’s not actually, because if the law was passed 10 years ago or whenever, the make up of the legislature is completely different now and will be years from now too when they would have to have a vote on it. A law is set in stone indefinitely. If something has to be voted on at some point in the undetermined future, by legislators and a governor not yet known, that’s not at all the same. The people voting on it and the circumstances at the time of the vote make a huge difference…

It's completely irrelevant whether the law was passed 10 years ago or 100 years ago. If there is a law on the books and OU wants out, they will have to get the current (or future) legislature to change the law. Likewise, if there is no law on the books, but legislature approval is required, OU will still have to get the current (or future) legislature to vote to approve. Either way, the current (or future) legislature would have to act. That's identical.

Advertisement
He’s dead.

Don't care about UCF that much but TCU, Houston, and Penn State would hit 3 of the 5 largest TV markets in the country. Add ND and that is going to be tough for any conference to beat in viewers.

If this happens, the Domers would be best served by joining the Big 10. Sure, the ACC is a better academic fit, but so is the Ivy.

Not that I care what their fans think, but I would be flat out ****ed at an ACC conference slate over Big 10.

Advertisement
Back