Tally local radio - recruiting

CanesFan23

Sophomore
The local ESPN radio host said FSU's answer to return to the top is through improving recruiting.

Rivals rank 5th, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th the last 4 years.

Is recruiting really their problem? Coaching?

Personally, I've never thought of Jimbo as being as "elite" of coach as most. FSU usually loses a game per year they have no business losing. Living locally I hear a lot of wild rumors, but him being hard to work for personality wise is pretty wide spread. He seems like a micro manager and doesn't trust his assistants. X's and O's wise he may be elite, but that's just one side of it.

Recruiting wise it seems like they get almost anyone they want, unless Bama wants them. Sure they lose an occasional recruit to us or UF. Recruiting is a pretty important aspect of the game, but teams like Virginia Tech always makes me lean toward coaching playing a bigger role.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
The local ESPN radio host said FSU's answer to return to the top is through improving recruiting.

Personally, I've never thought of Jimbo as being as "elite" of coach as most. FSU usually loses a game per year they have no business losing. Living locally I hear a lot of wild rumors, but him being hard to work for personality wise is pretty wide spread. He seems like a micro manager and doesn't trust his assistants. X's and O's wise he may be elite, but that's just one side of it.

Recruiting wise it seems like they get almost anyone they want, unless Bama wants them. Sure they lose an occasional recruit to us or UF. Recruiting is a pretty important aspect of the game, but teams like Virginia Tech always makes me lean toward coaching playing a bigger role.

Thoughts?

Nah. Your post looks good, so I'm just going to go with what you said.

To me Rankings matter more when coaches and the media are evulating a team. Teams that finish at the top of the rankings get more mulligans for losses than middle tier teams. Becuase it’s “perceived” they have so much talent. And the loss was fluke. Certainly You want to get as many blue chippers who fit the mold of your scheme and usually there are enough of those guys if you beat out other schools. But Sometimes you have to choose between a kid that is highly rated but not a perfect fit for your scheme or a 3 Star kid who is perfect for what you need them to do. The blue chipper may become a project and could be a bust. I think when teams like FSU start recruiting based on ranking and winning recruiting titles that they take on too many projects and make too many promises even when it’s bad for the team and the player. Then they aren’t able to get guys up to speed fast enough. P Joyner is the perfect example promising a guy who is an OLB that he can play in MLB. Maybe it works out for him, who knows how long it will take. Who knows if they get someone better than him next year. Who knows if they can’t and they become stuck with him and he’s only performs like a 2 Star. It’s not really an FSU problem this happens at major schools where the allure of loading up on blue chippers regardless of fit creates this issue.

I think they lost to Bama and then their starting QB had a season ending injury....They're starting a true Frosh at QB. Unfortunately, they'll be alright. One thing I'll say though, they get top notch talent at WR but none of their WRs are extremely dominant. Rashad Greene was a baller but I always felt like a good DB could stop him.
Jimbo is a good X's and O coach and clearly can recruit. I just hope we whoop their *** every **** year.

Advertisement

Thoughts?

They've recruited as well as anyone but Alabama over the last few years.

Coaching and development of recruits seems to be the bigger problem. While they've signed highly rated recruits that hasn't translated into talent on the field. Dawsey has been sub-par as a WR coach, don't think there's any other way of putting it. For them to have been the clear top school in the state, a state that produces as much WR talent as FL does, there's no excuse for them to be producing NFL WRs at the rate they have been. 2 in 10 years drafted, I believe.

Going all in on Malik Henry and his subsequent flame-out hurt them too. As great as Jimbo's track record has been with QBs, they've missed on some key guys in recent years and that has put them in this position.

Add to that their inability to effectively scout and develop O-linemen the past few years and you get a recipe for 1-3.

I'm loving every second of it

Thoughts?

They've recruited as well as anyone but Alabama over the last few years.

Hate to say it, but you gotta put Clemzon right up there with Bama too. Until we knock them off, those two are head and shoulders above everyone else.

He loves to scream at his guys, you saw it Saturday with Blackman, that's all cool when you're winning, but when you start losing that turns guys off quick.
I honestly think FSU played out of their *** Saturday and a season tank would not surprise me. Look at this Saturday at Duke, noon, place will be empty, a loss would not be shocking to me.

Advertisement
If we're being real, their number one problem is that they lost their starting QB and have no depth there.

Their broader issue is that they are getting highly rated, entitled national guys and ignoring better players in the state. Same thing that happened to us. Florida is actually doing a better job of plucking in-state players.

If we're being real, their number one problem is that they lost their starting QB and have no depth there.

Their broader issue is that they are getting highly rated, entitled national guys and ignoring better players in the state. Same thing that happened to us. Florida is actually doing a better job of plucking in-state players.

This was something you mentioned months ago, I believe around NSD. That was our fall out during the Coker years; he started going the national route and eventually it led to a horrible culture.

This is true.

the problem is that it is difficult to have a national recruiting strategy when you are an FSU.

And it can be misleading to gauge the competition of non-Florida kids because with the exception of certain areas of Texas and California, much of the other areas of the country have very variable talent. Even though schools can rise and fall one year to the next, which is the nature of HS football, the overall talent pool is consistently high and it's measurable. Not always true everyplace else, and it's easy to get fooled if you don't know what you are doing.

Plus, it's one thing for a kid from say, Los Angles, to be attracted to UM. He's from L.A. He gets the city, the international vibe, south beach, models, and all that jazz. But you have to wonder about a kid like that having to come to Tallahassee, or Baton Rouge, or Gainesville or places like that. It can be a bit odd, and convincing a kid to do that is not always the right path.

It's why schools like Florida and FSU were, will be, or are, in trouble when they think of themselves as "national" universities. They should stick to the in-state kids, and the ones who have never been out of their own counties in Georgia.

Advertisement
The years after their NC, the became basically a 3 man team: Rapist, Cook and that WR they sole from Golden. All the great recruiting classes and two true freshmen were their only big time players. Same thing on defense, just that dude Jalen. The writing was on the wall then. True freshmen should have a lot more trouble getting on the field the year after a NC and several top recruiting classes. Without Cook and Jalen, we win Al's last two with them -- oh Lord that would have been horrible, the smuck would still be here. Anyway, they are sliding and we are rising. There never was enough talent here for all three big schools to be true powers at the same time. One was always sliding. Now with Bama and others cherry-picking too, there might not be enough for the gator either as we ascend -- that would just be too bad.

I thought he trusted his dc too much. Their fans really hate that guy.

I hate that bald a-hole and the evil red bearded ****.

Matthew Thomas, bald a-hole, and red beard need to be deported to Somalia.

Can't say that jimbob doesnt know how to coach quarterbacks, most of his assistants seem like recruiters and subpar coaches. That feels like the biggest issue along with getting away from the local recruiting

Advertisement
Jimbo is not an elite coach. He's a pretty good offensive coordinator, and a very good QB coach, but he's far from being an elite all-around head coach.

Blackman is terrible. And I don't think he's going to get very much better. A dog is a dog, no matter how much you coach him up. The kid processes information way too slowly to ever be effective at this level. He's always gonna take a lot of sacks and be late on throws.

And they're not recruiting that well this year. They have no QB coming in.

Their WR's are also not anywhere near FSU standards. They had one kid out there.... Marshall I believe was his name.... I was like "what the **** is this kid even doing out there?" Kid looked like he should be playing for Wake Forest, not FSU. Tate is pretty good, but he's no Richards. He's no Berrios, for that matter.

The only players that really impressed me on FSU were 1.) Cam Akers - who I think could be a better RB than Dalvin Cook. Not as fast, and not going to break as many away... but that kid has some natural strength you don't see very often. Especially in the lower body. A lot of the plays where McCloud and company were bouncing off him like bowling pins were simply because Akers has insane strength and balance. 2.) Their DT, Nandi. That's a future NFL player right there. Outside of that, nobody they had really stood out.

So they might be recruiting highly ranked guys, but they're obviously not evaluating that well because I thought we had the better athletes on Saturday, all said.

Last edited:

Their talent is definitely down, and their best players are gone after this year....James, Thomas, McFadden, etc.

Charlie Strong was a great coach when he had TB. Jimbo was a great coach when he had Jameis, now not so much.

Advertisement
Back