Talking with Miami Northwestern's New OC

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
New Miami Northwestern Offensive Coordinator Tyrell Conyers is a well-known coach in the South Florida community. After spending 8 years at Miramar and coaching the likes of Geno Smith, Stedman Bailey, Ryan Williams, Ivan McCartney, and Malcolm Lewis, he announced yesterday that he was accepting an opportunity to be the offensive coordinator at one of South Florida's most prized football program's, Miami Northwestern.

I had a chance to speak with "Coach TY" about his move to Northwestern.

Q: What does it mean to you to have this opportunity at such a historic program such as Northwestern?
A: There's a lot of pride throughout the community. It's just a great fit for me right now as far as being able to grow as a coach and a mentor to the young kids in the inner city.

Q: How familiar are with coach Stephen Field and the way he runs things?
A: Personally I didn't know him before. I had heard of him when he was at Glades Central before, but as far me sitting down and interviewing with him, I learned he was a very genuine guy.

Q: How do you think your past experience at another big school such as Miramar will help you here?
A: I tell people this all the time that Miramar as a program has been great to me. The coaching staff, the administrators, and my guys first and foremost because that's what matters most to me. I tell them they will always be my kids and that will never change and I will be there for them. I just thank God that my time at Miramar was very successful, but we have to move on in life sometimes to better ourselves.

Q: What do you plan on adding or changing to the Northwestern program?
A: I hope to bring back the tradition and bring the alumni and community back in the stands because that's been missing the last couple of years. I want to bring back the winning ways, the Bull way of domination. I feel we can do that with me being over there.

Q: Can you explain how your offensive style is going to fit in with the types of athletes that they have over there.
A: I'm a spread guy who likes to adapt to what the defense gives me. The athletes here are not too much different from what we had at Miramar, they're very similar. Basically, I want to get guys in space and let them do what they can.

Q: In your opinion, what makes South Florida high school football different and tougher than other parts of the country?
A: Down here, you've got kids who have been playing football since they were 4 or 5 years old. So when you start at that age, it's a blessing for them. We have the little league levels that help develop these kids for high school. They're taught early on to be the best they can be and learn the game of football.

Q: Talk about the playoffs this year. Has anything surprised you or stuck out in particular?
A: When we got knocked out, that was a little surprising to me (laughs). But I really wish all the teams that are still in it the best of luck. I like the run that Killian had this year.

Q: What's your take on this upcoming Columbus-Cypress Bay game?
A: Well both of them are run-oriented teams that like to pound the pound and use play-action. I wish the best of luck to both teams, but if I had to pick a side then I'd probably give the edge to Columbus since they've been here before. I like what the coach is doing down there at Columbus.

Q: Talk about some of the best players you coached against this season.
A: Well there's really so many of them that it's tough to pick one. Matt Dayes at Cypress, Collins at South Plantation, there's so much talent in every game. There are scouts at every single game so that shows you how much talent there is in Broward and Dade County alone.

Q: What’s it like for you to see the success of former players Stedman Bailey and Geno Smith?
A: Oh man, to see these guys doing what they are as far working hard and also being humble is a great feeling and makes me so excited. To see where they've come from the little league age to high school to college and now they have a chance to play in the NFL. It gives me pride as a coach to see them where they're at. And now Stedman Bailey, who is a guy that I worked with individually as a wide receivers coach and now is being nominated as one of the best receivers in the country, it's just a great feeling and blessing. I give all thanks to God for that.

Q: What do you think makes Jermaine Grace a special player?
A: "Country" is another one who I've known since the little league level. He's known to make big plays since he was little. Jermaine is going to be great at the next level because of his ability to find the ball as well as his natural instincts sideline-to-sidline. His speed is 'oooo,' one of a kind. I hated going against him in practice because he can cover ground so fast and he's very instinctive.

Q: How do you think the recruiting process is shaping up for him?
A: He'll make his decision in due time. I don't think he wanted to rush into a decision and regret it later so he's just going to make the right decision for himself.

Advertisement
Pete,

What does the young talent look like at The West? Any c/o 2014 or 2015 kids to keep in mind?

Good work, Pete.

Hold up, Isn't Stephen Field the old "footballcane" on grassy?

Advertisement
I'm not in South Florida, so I'm not as familiar with the high school level there, but Miramar has been somewhat of a pipeline for West Virginia.

Any concern he'll steer kids that direction from what has traditionally been a Miami feeder? I know grades were a factor in several of those players, but not all.

I'm not in South Florida, so I'm not as familiar with the high school level there, but Miramar has been somewhat of a pipeline for West Virginia.

Any concern he'll steer kids that direction from what has traditionally been a Miami feeder? I know grades were a factor in several of those players, but not all.

TY is a Miami fan from my knowledge. The Miramar head coach Damon Cogdell played at West Virginia so that's where the connection comes from. Cogdell doesn't push kids there though

was just about to state that Cogdell is a WVU alum..

But really Cogdell doesnt PUSH guys to WVU...in fact Randy Shannon was at one time his Optomist/Little League Football Coach so when they were saying he was pushing guys at the time i wasnt believing it.

-The head coach..."Football Cane" at NW is A CAN..and besides those "City" kids are mostly cane fans through and through regardless.
NW now though will have another high powered passing attack with good coaching to go with it...as this guy is legit

Advertisement
well Randall wasnt a um option...and at the time wasnt wvu in the running for his service.

What i meant is...if it comes down to um recruiting a kid out of their...he isnt going to push wvu down their throat...ala (Dwyer's coach (uf)....
you cant really say it..when were on the verge of snagging 3 miramar kids in two years...

Of the top of my head:

Ivan McCartney - grade issues
Stedman Bailey - didn't recruit
Geno Smith - Randy didn't recruit him well enough due to his faith in Jacory Harris

In Al Golden's first year, no Miramar players went to WVU. In his second year, we landed their two best prospects in Tracy Howard and Malcolm Lewis. Good thing we have AG here to wipe the slate clean with SF recruiting and HS coaches. From what I remember, Cogdell admires Golden and speaks highly of him. He will not be pushing players to WVU like some may worry about.

Of the top of my head:

Ivan McCartney - grade issues
Stedman Bailey - didn't recruit
Geno Smith - Randy didn't recruit him well enough due to his faith in Jacory Harris

In Al Golden's first year, no Miramar players went to WVU. In his second year, we landed their two best prospects in Tracy Howard and Malcolm Lewis. Good thing we have AG here to wipe the slate clean with SF recruiting and HS coaches. From what I remember, Cogdell admires Golden and speaks highly of him. He will not be pushing players to WVU like some may worry about.

Wrong. McCartney was NOT a grade issue. He chose another school. Period.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back