Syracuse game '98. Possibly my worst Cane memory

Martycane

Sophomore
Monstrosity. 66-13. Donavan McNabb killed us. We were helpless. That game made no sense.
Butch said afterward: "There are some games that have no explanation."
Up there with Fla. State '97, the last Orange bowl game vs Virginia and Clemson and NC in '15 (Although those last two actually were the death knell of a bad era.)
After 'Cuse destroyed us, we eventually came back and beat No. 1 UCLA, one of our great wins...What a year. We were on our way.
I think we're more advanced than that '98 team. More like the '99 team in terms of progress. The 2000 team was championship level. 2001 team won the championship.

Advertisement
I was there...scored to cut it to 14-7 then the kickoff was housed. 21-7 and never looked back. Terrible game.

Monstrosity. 66-13. Donavan McNabb killed us. We were helpless. That game made no sense.
Up there with Fla. State '97, the last Orange bowl game vs Virginia and Clemson and NC in '15 (Although those last two actually were the death knell of a bad era.)
After 'Cuse destroyed us, we eventually came back and beat No. 1 UCLA, one of our great wins...What a year. We were on our way.
I think we're more advanced than that '98 team. More like the '99 team in terms of progress. The 2000 team was championship level. 2001 team won the championship.

More like the 1999 team? That team went 9-4 with a blowout loss to VT! I would say that was last years team, with the bad loss to VT again. This year could be more like the 2000 team. We barely beat FSU, maybe drop 1 game to a ranked team, then we roll. Lets see...

Hmm.... 00' Canes vs. 17' Canes. My quick take who had the advantage:

OL - 00' was one of the best OL in CFB history. Everything came together for them.
WR's - 00' Santana and Wayne is hard to beat for any CFB team in any era. Plus King was a strong 3rd and they had speed demon Daryl Jones as well.
RB's - 00'. With the loss of Walton, this is a no brainer. 00's had 1a and 1b with Jackson and Portis.
TE's - 00' Shockey. We can stop with the explanation there.
DL - Call me crazy, but a tie or maybe (braces for impact) just maybe 17' my a micro hair. 00' didn't play fully the way they needed to until the FL game. 17' plays with aggression and better technique. Plus 17' has a better DL coach. Alright, I'll commit - 17' wins DL.
LB's - Dan Morgan doesn't get the full credit he should for the way he absolutely dominated CFB his senior year. Go watch him again. Maybe the greatest single season for a college LBer in the history of the game in the context of playing with a top squad against fierce competition. Dan alone gives 00' the edge at LB.
DB's - 00'. No need parking the CB's and S's. 00' had legendary talent in the secondary and were playing at 01' levels by the end of their season.
ST's - 00' in a BIG way! Santana and Daryl housing kicks, great coverage, great punting and great PK.
Coaching - The way I am defining this does not include offseason talent evaluation. We're just talking about comparing 00' to 17' during their seasons. To me, although not perfect, 17's coaching staff as a whole is stronger. I know a lot of those Butch guys went on to great success and they did a good job with 00', but if it weren't for their deficiencies, we NEVER lose that game to Washington and we would have 6 rings now. Butch was well known for sucking as a game day coach. So, 17'.
MAGIC - We're taking intangibles here. If the 00' team had half of the magic that 17' has, they never lose to Washington and since it was mostly the same staff from 99', they only lose maybe 2 games that season...maybe. 17' has the intangibles.

Bottomline: I love magic! But, the 00' team dominates the 17' team.

So, really, we're like the 98'/99' teams with talent, but with better coaching.

Next year, if we don't hit a spate of injuries, we'll be approaching 00' overall quality. All things being equal, 19' should be the 00'-02' quality. Hopefully!

Canes worse loss was by far the 02 loss against OSU at the Fiesta Bowl for the NC, the embarrassing loss at Syracuse for the big east title that year was a big let down but the program improved alot after that.

Advertisement
Not the time for this ****, OP

(nothing worse than Virginia and the OB massacre for me)

Canes worse loss was by far the 02 loss against OSU at the Fiesta Bowl for the NC, the embarrassing loss at Syracuse for the big east title that year was a big let down but the program improved alot after that.

Good point. Also painful was the close loss to Penn State after the '86 season. Should have won that one. Cost us another championship. So hard to end a season that way.

Hmm.... 00' Canes vs. 17' Canes. My quick take who had the advantage:

OL - 00' was one of the best OL in CFB history. Everything came together for them.
WR's - 00' Santana and Wayne is hard to beat for any CFB team in any era. Plus King was a strong 3rd and they had speed demon Daryl Jones as well.
RB's - 00'. With the loss of Walton, this is a no brainer. 00's had 1a and 1b with Jackson and Portis.
TE's - 00' Shockey. We can stop with the explanation there.
DL - Call me crazy, but a tie or maybe (braces for impact) just maybe 17' my a micro hair. 00' didn't play fully the way they needed to until the FL game. 17' plays with aggression and better technique. Plus 17' has a better DL coach. Alright, I'll commit - 17' wins DL.
LB's - Dan Morgan doesn't get the full credit he should for the way he absolutely dominated CFB his senior year. Go watch him again. Maybe the greatest single season for a college LBer in the history of the game in the context of playing with a top squad against fierce competition. Dan alone gives 00' the edge at LB.
DB's - 00'. No need parking the CB's and S's. 00' had legendary talent in the secondary and were playing at 01' levels by the end of their season.
ST's - 00' in a BIG way! Santana and Daryl housing kicks, great coverage, great punting and great PK.
Coaching - The way I am defining this does not include offseason talent evaluation. We're just talking about comparing 00' to 17' during their seasons. To me, although not perfect, 17's coaching staff as a whole is stronger. I know a lot of those Butch guys went on to great success and they did a good job with 00', but if it weren't for their deficiencies, we NEVER lose that game to Washington and we would have 6 rings now. Butch was well known for sucking as a game day coach. So, 17'.
MAGIC - We're taking intangibles here. If the 00' team had half of the magic that 17' has, they never lose to Washington and since it was mostly the same staff from 99', they only lose maybe 2 games that season...maybe. 17' has the intangibles.

Bottomline: I love magic! But, the 00' team dominates the 17' team.

So, really, we're like the 98'/99' teams with talent, but with better coaching.

Next year, if we don't hit a spate of injuries, we'll be approaching 00' overall quality. All things being equal, 19' should be the 00'-02' quality. Hopefully!

Smart analysis. I agree completely.

Advertisement
For me, easily the last game in the OB.

This. What a way to close out the OB with a massive blowout.

All time low IMO. That UVA tight end is still open.

Alongside that Wisconsin TE. :/

My stepfather is one of the toughest ******** I know. But when the last OB game was through, he aruptly turned off the TV and sat there in silence in the living room for a minute. I turned to face him, and he had tears in his eyes.

He has been a fan of the 'Canes since the late 70's.

'01 OSU is pretty **** close too.

We were watching The U Part 2, when it got to that game, we turned it off.

As my stepdad says, "We already know what happens, so we don't need to watch it."

I agreed.

(My stepdad accidentally punched a glass window out during the game) :D

Last edited:
Advertisement

Why would you want to bring this up right now? There's never a good time, but the day before we play them and we've needed 4th quarter magic to win our last 2? Poor timing.

My stepfather is one of the toughest ******** I know. But when the last OB game was through, he aruptly turned off the TV and sat there in silence in the living room for a minute. I turned to face him, and he had tears in his eyes.

As my stepdad says, "We already know what happens, so we don't need to watch it."

I agreed.

OSU: Actually thought we had won, started celebrating and then came back to the TV and saw the Terry Porter interference call. Particularly hard way to lose when you lose after you thought you've won.

Advertisement

I agreed.

OSU: Actually thought we had won, started celebrating and then came back to the TV and saw the Terry Porter interference call. Particularly hard way to lose when you lose after you thought you've won.

Also watched that one at Duffy's. I don't go there anymore.

What the **** is wrong with this thread???

SyEAqNx.jpg

Advertisement
Back