Stop building false hope for Mario

Why do we have to give up hope? The only thing between where we are now, and the reality that UM has decided it no longer wants to compete in football, is the hope that there is a legitimate effort to replace the current staff with a competent one.

Once that hope is gone, so is Miami football.
Remember after we had a coach who was hired based on 10 win seasons and SEC titles? He stepped down and the AD only took a couple of hours to hurl nearly $10M at a coach with Randy Shannon’s resume? It’s over, Johnny.

I fully expect Rod Carey to be our next head coach.

Advertisement
not happening for next miami coach. Stop saying it’s even a possibility, it’s not.
mods Merge this if there’s any rational Mario thread.

Mario is not coming here. We need a hc as soon as regular season ends. Marios buyout is shy of 10 million until early 2022. We need a coach who can come right away when season ends to save recruiting class with early signing day.

Thinking Mario is a realistic option is as delusional as fans speculating Gruden was coming a decade ago or even now. It’s not happening.
And if he did, if he doesn't win at least ten games in year 3 this fanbase will be calling for exactly the same thing as they did with his predecessors.

Because Mario or any other coach, even Saban, is not winning ten games in year three. This is a five year rebuild project. Almost as if you were starting a program new, or coming off of a death penalty.

Why?

We're in a feeding frenzy right now. Negativity is at an all time high. We have single digit commitments for 2022. That might be zero in a few more weeks. I expect the vast majority of our younger talent - including Garcia and possibly TVD - to transfer out. At best, we start 2022 with about 50 scholarship players. I can't undersell how much of a disaster is building right now for Miami.

And if he did, if he doesn't win at least ten games in year 3 this fanbase will be calling for exactly the same thing as they did with his predecessors.

Because Mario or any other coach, even Saban, is not winning ten games in year three. This is a five year rebuild project. Almost as if you were starting a program new, or coming off of a death penalty.

Why?

We're in a feeding frenzy right now. Negativity is at an all time high. We have single digit commitments for 2022. That might be zero in a few more weeks. I expect the vast majority of our younger talent - including Garcia and possibly TVD - to transfer out. At best, we start 2022 with about 50 scholarship players. I can't undersell how much of a disaster is building right now for Miami.
You don't think kids wait to see who the next coach is before they bolt?

On my way!!!
Screenshot_20211015-225308_Gallery_resized~2.jpg

Advertisement
Remember after we had a coach who was hired based on 10 win seasons and SEC titles? He stepped down and the AD only took a couple of hours to hurl nearly $10M at a coach with Randy Shannon’s resume? It’s over, Johnny.

I fully expect Rod Carey to be our next head coach.
At best we get cincy hq or kiffin and just know kiffin will Go back to nfl after 3 seasons if he does well here. he’s done a lot with ole miss with scholly reductions

Hopefully. I really hope so. But conditions are different than prior to 2020. Now kids can transfer with no waiting period.
Good let’s hope gull and couch transfer now along with Jennings. keeping 2020/2021class is important and salvaging 2022 class. if manny is fired soon there’s plenty of time to have backdoor conversations to have a hire end of season to save and expand 22 class while preventing our youth from bolting which is going to happen so enjoy another losing season next year. unless it’s cincy hc going to playoffs then that’s a no on him.

but also Mario isn’t coming here a nd all you mario slurpers well see he’s just a recruiter n ok at best hc and we will suck next year and EVEN IF WE DONT suck as soon as we lose to a decent acc or pf5 team the slurpers will revolt like they’ve done with every past hc hire

If it wasn’t for recruiting people wouldn’t mention Mario.
Dude is a corch, outside beating ohio st his team looks ok and poor on d. **** jimbo beat bama, recruit’s well and his team underperforms elsewhere. 1 signature win doesn’t make you a God to the idiots on here. Manny recruited well, Mario will recruit better. Not convinced he’s much better hc then manny without oregons resources.

the acc has been better then pac 12 (thanks Clemson) and he only has to really fight bama and nd off for west coast talent. He will be exposed by uscW with a good hc and he wont dip into so cal high talent with sc good. uscW is way better academically and LA over Eugene every day of the week even with SC being in the ghetto of downtown la where skid row went from 20 blocks to 50 blocks in la.

I live in LA and the la kids and oc kids want to Goto SC if they’re good. Unlike miami having to defend from all Florida schools and sec, Ohio taint, Michigan, penn st and nd. Oh and not to mention our fans constantly being negative, a stadium half crowded with no student section and adults exploiting miami/dade cause these handlers are getting small bags for helping steer recruits out of here (see shemar currently)

lot of divas down here to.

if Garcia wasn’t pushed out by sc we don’t get him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If it wasn’t for recruiting people wouldn’t mention Mario.

You're right. But, how else do you get talented players to your school? There arent anymore 'Butch' s left in the game. Even coaches who historically develop talent well, miss occasionally. I'd rather have a certified cold-blooded closer as HC and surround him with quality assistants.

I'm betting that since we've seen Mario convince kids from Miami, LA, Utah, etc to go to Eugene, OR, he can talk a few Miami kids, as well as those nationally ranked kids, to come to Miami, his Alma mater.

You're right. But, how else do you get talented players to your school? There arent anymore 'Butch' s left in the game. Even coaches who historically develop talent well, miss occasionally. I'd rather have a certified cold-blooded closer as HC and surround him with quality assistants.

I'm betting that since we've seen Mario convince kids from Miami, LA, Utah, etc to go to Eugene, OR, he can talk a few Miami kids, as well as those nationally ranked kids, to come to Miami, his Alma mater.
I would eventually warm up to the hiring Mario but what good is all the talent if you’re going to lose multiple games to less talented teams. I’ll take the good recruiter and great gameday coach over the great recruiter but subpar game day coach

I would eventually warm up to the hiring Mario but what good is all the talent if you’re going to lose multiple games to less talented teams. I’ll take the good recruiter and great gameday coach over the great recruiter but subpar game day coach

I agree, but how many great gameday coaches are there? Everyone makes mistakes.

With Cristobal, we'd have a talented, disciplined team and a HC who is still learning to be a better gameday coach. You can't teach the type of recruiter Mario is. And with the talent we have in SFLA, Mario would feast!

If Georgia wins the natty, I'd expect all **** to break loose in Athens. BAMA and CLEMSON will be desperate to regain glory and TEXAS A&M boosters probably think they are 'oh so close'. What I'm saying is, all the bags schools are now more invested than ever before and, with the NIL, the money can legally flow. In today's CFB, I'd like an elite recruiter to keep up with the arms race.

Advertisement
If Mario does come we will just get the same results for the next 3 years and then the fans will cut him off. His teams play down to opponents like Arizona and Cal. Other than him being a Miami guy and a good recruiter he is barely qualified

If Mario does come we will just get the same results for the next 3 years and then the fans will cut him off. His teams play down to opponents like Arizona and Cal. Other than him being a Miami guy and a good recruiter he is barely qualified

The criticism of Him in Oregon is that he’s a great recrruiter but bad game day coach and overall “too conservative”. Ie be coaches like a lineman.

We all know what Mario would be if he comes here. He would recruit reasonably well, stack 3-4 classes but probably reach a ceiling or 9/10 wins with an outside chance of better if he strikes gold with a qb.

Mario goes as far as his coordinators will take him. I’m a bit disappointed that their defense has sucked so bad this year especially considering they have 2-3 studs back there

The criticism of Him in Oregon is that he’s a great recrruiter but bad game day coach and overall “too conservative”. Ie be coaches like a lineman.

We all know what Mario would be if he comes here. He would recruit reasonably well, stack 3-4 classes but probably reach a ceiling or 9/10 wins with an outside chance of better if he strikes gold with a qb.

Mario goes as far as his coordinators will take him. I’m a bit disappointed that their defense has sucked so bad this year especially considering they have 2-3 studs back there
I honestly think there is gold in our QB room right now but is in injured. Our situation with younger talent on offense would have to entice a good coach. I think Garcia is the next QB drafted from Miami and it's been forever since that had happened. But I'm a Hugh fan of Freeze. I think Hugh Freeze would win 10 games a year here in his second season

Advertisement
He’s meh but better than manny

I’m tired of this “save the recruiting class” BS. How many times have we heard that? Barely made a difference and we rushed into hiring another 7-5 winning coach. Take all the time in the world if it means getting a coach that can string two bowl wins together and win the Coastal consistently.
Agree. That's the short term thinking that has gotten us into the mess we are in. I can't believe there still people on here pushing that "lets rush and get someone to try to save the recruting class" bullllll****

Objectively speaking, there's really nothing negative to be said about Mario when making a case for him to be the next HC at Miami.

• He's an alum, Miami native and national champion player who's been around multiple championship coaches and programs throughout his life.
  • Universities like when you leave home and see other things, so he took opportunities improve his craft elsewhere at Alabama and has done well to develop a more physical identity at Oregon with a top 10 ranking.
  • He's rising star in the coaching ranks who's known to be a strong recruiter and demanding leader that builds teams from the trenches.
  • Best of all, he has no (glaring) flaws in terms of character; Mario represents the []__[] well as an alumni and is someone most people associated with Miami are proud of.

Miami has plenty of money and can do whatever they want. They shouldn't bypass Mario again.

p.s. Carol Soffer and her family gave 14M for the IPF that bares her name. When you give that type of money you don't want to see these boys getting dragged by FIU and bodied by UNC for 600+ yards rushing.
Objectively speaking, losing or barely beating bad teams is a cause for concern with Mario. He was made to look very good year #1 by Herbert. Last year he lost to 1-3 Cal and 2-5 Oregon St last year is very concerning. Losing to 2-2 Stanford this year is concerning. Other than that, both his OC and DC at Oregon leave a lot to be desired.

Advertisement
Back