Stanford D, a discussion thread.

immars

Redshirt Freshman
Ok, so I took the painstaking time to research stanford's defense out of sheer curiosity after the USC game. Their relentless play and poise in that game struck a cord in me. Yeah i had seen a few stanford games last year, and was impressed by them then, but not at the level I was saturday. Here are the things that stood out for me:

1) they have - starting - at least 6 seniors. Makes a huge difference.
2) However, these guys are not blue chip AA. In fact the only guys that had "legit offers" were Henry Anderson (DE) Junior, and Terrence Stephens (NG) Senior. Everyone else, was at most a Three star. Heck they had a couple "NR" (Not Ranked) and a few Two Stars.
3) Defensive coaches. This struck me as unusual. In 2011 they had co-defensive coordinators (Jason Tarver and Derek Mason). After his first and only season as a DC, Jason Tarver left to coach in the NFL. That left Derek Mason. It would be splitting hairs to say Jason Tarver was the actual brains of the operation because he was the one plucked to the league. But oddly enough, last year, it too was Derek Mason's first year as a DC. Fact is, that last year Standford's defense ranked 28 in total defense (miami 45 - not that far off). This year, through three games, stanford ranks 31, and we are not in the top 50. Three games will not make anyone coach of the year. But this is only the second year under the same defense. (side fact, their DL coach has ONLY coached dline since 1973 from ohio st to notre dame, etc..I mention this because i know there is a growing resentment of our dline coach, and he has been there since the 2010 season). The difference i believe is that they have continuity in the players. All these kids were mature juniors able to grasp the 3-4 defense and are now playing well under it for their second year. That is huge.

I am simply sharing info. I know our situation is a bit different in that although we have some kids in their second year in the defense, we have mostly first-timers, and young first timers at that. The other thing i wanted to take away from this was that all these mid-tier kids (at best) rocked a stacked blue-chip high octane offense, two years in a row. I am a "star-*****". I admit it. I believe there is something to getting a ton of blue-chippers (see alabama). But i also believe that coaching, development is the key to it all (for the antithesis see Texas). So, is Stanford hitting so well on all their coaching hires that in two years they developed average-at best kids into a pretty good team? Let me be on the record as saying I DON"T WANT TO BE STANDFORD. I want to be alabama. But my point is why can they do more with seemingly less, and our defensive staff can't? AS much as this season hurts, I think the real tale will be next year. IF this team is not a jauggernaut in 2013, then changes need to be made. I would give our defensive coordinator till then. I am giving the benefit of the doubt. Because what I saw from stanford's D as far as looks, stunts, mixing blitzes, one guy with his hands down on the line while others stood, etc...I am yet to remotely see from our team, and again this is year two for both the system and the DC at that school.

Thought i'd share these thoughts.

Advertisement
Stanford's D is loaded with good prospects.

Shayne Skov was a 5*
Terrance Stephens was a 4*+
Usua Amanam was a 4* running back.
James Vaughters was a 4*+
Wayne Lyons was a 4*
Murphy, Mauro, Lankaster, Chase Thomas, Browning, Anderson, Tarpley, Richards, Brown...all are your classic good three star players that actually play like good, classic three star players or better. No busts with those guys and a lot of them that have risen up to big time like Chase Thomas.

It was assembled as a unit, and has played excellently as a unit.

They've recruited pretty well on the front seven...too, so, I would think their defense will continue to be good.

Skov was an elite national player who was committed in like 6th grade. Even though he was a legit 5 Star talent, he didn't have a single offer because of his early commitment and his flat out telling schools he was done. He lobbied and recruited that class as much as the staff.

Advertisement
I liked Wayne Lyons. Also, it's ok to talk about him because he isn't a 5 star, so I can say this:

He's the type of guy who'd likely do well at a school like VTech or Stanford (in a defined system), but less so in what we've seen of our defenses (especially in the Randy era). He's a Safety who needs a lane to fill.

Stanford's D is loaded with good prospects.

Shayne Skov was a 5*
Terrance Stephens was a 4*+
Usua Amanam was a 4* running back.
James Vaughters was a 4*+
Wayne Lyons was a 4*
Murphy, Mauro, Lankaster, Chase Thomas, Browning, Anderson, Tarpley, Richards, Brown...all are your classic good three star players that actually play like good, classic three star players or better. No busts with those guys and a lot of them that have risen up to big time like Chase Thomas.

It was assembled as a unit, and has played excellently as a unit.

They've recruited pretty well on the front seven...too, so, I would think their defense will continue to be good.

This. stanford has been fielding really nice recruiting classes the last several years. They've been signing 4 star type kids at key positions also (QB, RB, etc). Make no mistake - this is not a team full of white stiffs. This is a team with seriously good football players with seriously good smarts.

didn't miss shayne skov, because he has not been listed as a starter. In fact he only had 4 tackles in limited time against usc. So i was taking him out of the equation because he missed last year with season ending injury and, again, hasn't really played this year. I mentioned Stephens. Amanam is on offense, this is a defense comparison. Vaughters, you are right, he is listed as a back-up and he was a four star recruit. Between last season and this season he has 13 tackles, five this year. Lyons too was a four star recruit, and is listed as a back-up. He too only has a few tackles in three games, didn't play the second game. So yes, add a couple more 4 star recruits, but still, they haven't contributed much or even played. Hence my point, look who is making a difference. Overwhelmingly it is the 3 star guy that - like you said - is playing above the recruited potential. In essence, the have been developed and they are squeezing all the football juice out of them. That is a succesful cycle in eyeing and targeting and recruits and developing them. Hence my point of the thread.

Lu: interesting point. they are kids recruited for a specific system, plug some of them into this lb core and you would get a different result.

Advertisement
Can't ignore that Stanford's D was ranked 28th in nation with a Pac-12 schedule (very offensive conference, like B12)

Stanford would rape and pillage the ACC every single year.

Skov was suspended for game 1, got a DUI. He is the heart and soul of the defense. Great linebacker group.

im just excited about how well stanford recruits their OLINE...good lord they have some beast that are about to come up.

Also like everyone states its a SYSTEM.

Similar to Boise State...where they are recruiting knowing EXACTLY whaT they want and their plugging in with every recruiting class.

We're sort of feeling through especially on the defensive side...We have a coach that has some philosophies of a 3-4 defensive system..but we still recruit 200-205 pd backers...he plays a sh*t load of zone..but were smack dab in the recruiting area loaded with press man cbs that play very little zoe covg in high school....

i kind of see what we want at the dend spot because they have routinely taken a FLEX guy (Rico Williams, Dwayne Hoilett, Mccord) those are guys that techniquely would be olb's in certain packages.

But we will see the continuity and system approach coming with this next recruiting cycle..as essetially most/all of randy's guys will be gone.

Stanford really impressed me as well in that game. Those are MEN. They gang tackle and go hard. I loved when the Backer...maybe Skov dove over the offensive line for USC and grabbed Barkley before he could even take his drops. Unreal! I miss the days of out athleting teams but I would MUCH rather have a team D like this. Even in the hay day we gave up lots of rushing yards but we also caused may turnovers and take aways!!!!

Stepfan Taylor will be a very good NFL running back. This kid can flat out play!

Advertisement
That game made me more interested in Standford's offense, b/c I think that is what this particular UM team should be more like instead of whatever it is Fisch is running. They have a physical running game w/ lots of 2-TE and FB sets, and just pounded and pounded. I'll bet they had only 2 or fewer WR's on the field 75% of the time. And when they did throw, they threw with a purpose, with 10-20 yd vertical strikes instead of our lateral dump offs, and it worked b/c the D was sucked in and had to honor the run.

Skov was suspended for game 1, got a DUI. He is the heart and soul of the defense. Great linebacker group.

Chase Thomas is actually the "heart and soul" of the defense. Team Captain. All-American.

Stanford built their defense the way you are supposed to build defenses. Big, strong on the front line. Good linebackers. They are throwbacks. They lack sideline to sideline speed unfortunately as a unit. It is why Oregon gives them fits.

Look at our Oline. Not only are they huge, but these are pretty highly recruited kids. Linder and Seantrel were #1 at their spots overall, Feliciano, Bunche and Flowers all had huge offers in addition to UM. No reason we should not have a running game that looks like it's going downhill.

Advertisement
Look at our Oline. Not only are they huge, but these are pretty highly recruited kids. Linder and Seantrel were #1 at their spots overall, Feliciano, Bunche and Flowers all had huge offers in addition to UM. No reason we should not have a running game that looks like it's going downhill.

Not sure we could implement the Stanford offense. I'm not an x's and o's guy but Stanford uses the blocking schemes that Harbaugh and Roman installed. They are the same as the ones the 49ers use. Evidently, they are much more creative and complex than anything used in college and are even advanced by NFL standards.

This is my biggest gripe with Fisch. We haven't even tried to establish this kind of identity.

We did it at times last year, but this year it's been heavy shotgun and horizontal passing game.

I'm not averse to running a spread offense, but I think we should commit to a certain style and drill the **** out of it. I'd love to have a physical offense that can beat people up, but also stretch the defense with "South Florida" speed.

Agree. I still can't figure out why we aren't imposing our will on opposing defenses. We have talented guys who spent quality time in the S & C program this summer. They are big, strong, and some pretty athletic. We should and need to be a ball-control, play-action, Chud-esque, offense this year. We have the players to do it. I'm convinced our offense can do it, and it just kills me to see them severely underperforming.

Ok, so I took the painstaking time to research stanford's defense out of sheer curiosity after the USC game. Their relentless play and poise in that game struck a cord in me. Yeah i had seen a few stanford games last year, and was impressed by them then, but not at the level I was saturday. Here are the things that stood out for me:

1) they have - starting - at least 6 seniors. Makes a huge difference.
2) However, these guys are not blue chip AA. In fact the only guys that had "legit offers" were Henry Anderson (DE) Junior, and Terrence Stephens (NG) Senior. Everyone else, was at most a Three star. Heck they had a couple "NR" (Not Ranked) and a few Two Stars.
3) Defensive coaches. This struck me as unusual. In 2011 they had co-defensive coordinators (Jason Tarver and Derek Mason). After his first and only season as a DC, Jason Tarver left to coach in the NFL. That left Derek Mason. It would be splitting hairs to say Jason Tarver was the actual brains of the operation because he was the one plucked to the league. But oddly enough, last year, it too was Derek Mason's first year as a DC. Fact is, that last year Standford's defense ranked 28 in total defense (miami 45 - not that far off). This year, through three games, stanford ranks 31, and we are not in the top 50. Three games will not make anyone coach of the year. But this is only the second year under the same defense. (side fact, their DL coach has ONLY coached dline since 1973 from ohio st to notre dame, etc..I mention this because i know there is a growing resentment of our dline coach, and he has been there since the 2010 season). The difference i believe is that they have continuity in the players. All these kids were mature juniors able to grasp the 3-4 defense and are now playing well under it for their second year. That is huge.

I am simply sharing info. I know our situation is a bit different in that although we have some kids in their second year in the defense, we have mostly first-timers, and young first timers at that. The other thing i wanted to take away from this was that all these mid-tier kids (at best) rocked a stacked blue-chip high octane offense, two years in a row. I am a "star-*****". I admit it. I believe there is something to getting a ton of blue-chippers (see alabama). But i also believe that coaching, development is the key to it all (for the antithesis see Texas). So, is Stanford hitting so well on all their coaching hires that in two years they developed average-at best kids into a pretty good team? Let me be on the record as saying I DON"T WANT TO BE STANDFORD. I want to be alabama. But my point is why can they do more with seemingly less, and our defensive staff can't? AS much as this season hurts, I think the real tale will be next year. IF this team is not a jauggernaut in 2013, then changes need to be made. I would give our defensive coordinator till then. I am giving the benefit of the doubt. Because what I saw from stanford's D as far as looks, stunts, mixing blitzes, one guy with his hands down on the line while others stood, etc...I am yet to remotely see from our team, and again this is year two for both the system and the DC at that school.

Thought i'd share these thoughts.

I think you're going to be disappointed. In order for our defense to be ANY good next year, we're going to have to hit bingo on a couple of JUCO/ Prep kids. Incoming freshmen along the DL, particularly at DT, just aren't ready physically, mentally, and usually from a skillset standpoint when they hit campus. If you get anything from a frosh DLineman, consider it gravy.

I don't think you're going to see a world-beating defense at Miami for another 2, possibly 3, years simply because we're so behind at DT.

Advertisement
Back