MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Just to be clear, I would not expect many of the students who live on campus to make the trek by foot (they would shuttle to/from), but there are lots of students who live between campus and TP who would consider arriving on foot, whether walking or getting dropped off nearby.

Maybe I'm weird but it;s boggled my mind since 2008 that Miami fans insist on spending the 8 hours before kickoff cooking on an asphalt parking lot in Miami Gardens in 90 degree heat. It's hot as heII whether you're walking or standing perfectly still.

But to add context and to be perfectly honest, I live between campus and TP and would absolutely walk there instead of dealing with getting in and out by car. But I also despise traffic jams and have no issue tailgating at home in the pool. And I'm sure plenty of students (and fans/alumni) who live off-campus within 1 or 2 miles would adopt a similar strategy (pre-game pool parties, etc and then walk or get dropped off nearby). If tailgating outside the stadium is a must-do for you then of course you wouldn't want to lug gear and you'll suck it up and wait 3 hours to park.

But yes, I would expect to see scores of people walking past the traffic jam en route to the stadium, especially as you get nearer to TP.
1. give me your rough estimate on "plenty of students"/"scores of people".

2. how many of them are students, which was your principal argument for moving the stadium closer to campus, at least it was until the argument failed?

Advertisement
Just to be clear, I would not expect many of the students who live on campus to make the trek by foot (they would shuttle to/from), but there are lots of students who live between campus and TP who would consider arriving on foot, whether walking or getting dropped off nearby.

Maybe I'm weird but it;s boggled my mind since 2008 that Miami fans insist on spending the 8 hours before kickoff cooking on an asphalt parking lot in Miami Gardens in 90 degree heat. It's hot as heII whether you're walking or standing perfectly still.

But to add context and to be perfectly honest, I live between campus and TP and would absolutely walk there instead of dealing with getting in and out by car. But I also despise traffic jams and have no issue tailgating at home in the pool. And I'm sure plenty of students (and fans/alumni) who live off-campus within 1 or 2 miles would adopt a similar strategy (pre-game pool parties, etc and then walk or get dropped off nearby). If tailgating outside the stadium is a must-do for you then of course you wouldn't want to lug gear and you'll suck it up and wait 3 hours to park.

But yes, I would expect to see scores of people walking past the traffic jam en route to the stadium, especially as you get nearer to TP.

I'm sure the people in your situation number in the several. I'd bet most would find it to be an unlikely option.

Likewise, doesn't the fact that you're already expecting a huge traffic jam also lead one to believe it's chances are poor?

I'm sure the people in your situation number in the several. I'd bet most would find it to be an unlikely option.

Likewise, doesn't the fact that you're already expecting a huge traffic jam also lead one to believe it's chances are poor?
miami is the place where if you have to buy a galloon of milk and the store is 3 blocks away you get in your car.

the problem with these advocates for tropical is that they provide unrealistic and delusional statements and when you confront them about it they don't have the courage or mindfulness to reconsider their position and perhaps concede the point.

On a bike or scooter in a dedicated lane? Absolutely. On a non game day, as fast as 5-6 minutes if you catch the lights right!

Respectfully, we’re talking about bikes and scooters to a game on a dedicated bike/scooter lane that doesn’t currently exist? That’s 4 miles away? Yeah sure you might get a couple of dozen people doing that. Assuming they make a scooter lane the 4 miles from campus to tropical park.

Advertisement
I wonder what year UM started to play "day" games. When I was at UM in the mid-to-late 60s, every home game in the OB was played at night. Consequently, a UM game experience in the OB never involved extreme heat/blazing sun as an issue. Tropical downpours, for sure, but ...

I guess TV contracts would preclude ever going back to exclusively night football in today's world. Plus, in a "shared" stadium, if UM is playing on Saturday and the Dolphins on Sunday, I guess that would also make noon UM starts desirable to provide max time get the field and stadium in shape.

toting their tailgating equipment and food and beer. seems logical

Somebody needs to make the drive from, let’s say the intersection where Mark light stadium is to tropical park, taking the two or three different ways that you can go, and then drive around tropical park area, and then tell me how it’s only going to be 10 minutes on the shuttle on game day. Game day. Gameday traffic.

If it’s going to be tropical park, they better find the parking right there.

miami is the place where if you have to buy a galloon of milk and the store is 3 blocks away you get in your car.

the problem with these advocates for tropical is that they provide unrealistic and delusional statements and when you confront them about it they don't have the courage or mindfulness to reconsider their position and perhaps concede the point.
If the stadium can't actually be on campus, or immediately adjacent, I see no benefit. And, since that will apparently never happen, case closed.

Advertisement
If the stadium can't actually be on campus, or immediately adjacent, I see no benefit. And, since that will apparently never happen, case closed.
i think there is a proposal on the board to build the stadium at Sunset Place or the area at Ponce de Leon/Granada Blvd., both IMHO very very viable areas.

Of course there would be a monster traffic jam since most fans don't live within walking distance of TP. All I've argued is that many of those that could walk there from where they reside, would. Not all of them, but quite a few.

toting their tailgating equipment and food and beer. seems logical
Plenty of fans arrive in time to watch the game in leiu of huddling underneath a camping tent for several hours prior pretending like it isn't 1000 degrees. What's hard to understand?

Plenty of fans arrive in time to watch the game in leiu of huddling underneath a camping tent for several hours prior pretending like it isn't 1000 degrees. What's hard to understand?
how many are going to the walk? hundreds? a thousand? a few thousand? what's your estimate.

Advertisement
1. give me your rough estimate on "plenty of students"/"scores of people".

2. how many of them are students, which was your principal argument for moving the stadium closer to campus, at least it was until the argument failed?
If you can find evidence of this being my principal argument then I'll slink away but until such time I'll just assume you're trolling.

how many are going to the walk? hundreds? a thousand? a few thousand? what's your estimate.
arrested-development-david-cross.gif

If you can find evidence of this being my principal argument then I'll slink away but until such time I'll just assume you're trolling.

here you go.

Last edited:
Advertisement
here you go.

You just put his head on a spike.

I mean yeah we've debated whether students who live on or near campus could/would walk to Tropical Park, but that's far from my "principal argument for moving the stadium closer to campus" as you continue to claim. Anyway.

And how are West Lab or Sunset Place any more viable than TP? Genuinely interested to hear how/why anyone would think so.

I mean yeah we've debated whether students who live on or near campus could/would walk to Tropical Park, but that's far from my "principal argument for moving the stadium closer to campus" as you continue to claim. Anyway.

And how are West Lab or Sunset Place any more viable than TP? Genuinely interested to hear how/why anyone would think so.

it was a sarcastic post meant to evidence the delusion of some posters and their arguments regarding building a stadium in coral gables or tropical

the vast majority of students live in and very close to campus (south miami) and the rest around brickell. Very few if any live near tropical park and definitely not within walking distance
Really because I live between campus and TP and see them all over. Tons of Miami fans, students, faculty, employees and alumni live walking distance from TP, they just have never had a decent reason to consider walking there since the place is ghetto and run down like Bicentennial and South Pointe once were. The people who live nearby and who oppose it refuse to acknowledge that the park itself would be greatly improved.

And people let's dispel any notion that TP is not walking distance from campus. Less than 1 hour by foot from St. Augustine Church. If Miami plays a night game at TP in November that's a brisk evening constitutional if one were so inclined. Everyone should be so lucky.

Advertisement
Back