Spring Game Review

Advertisement
Surprising #'s for the RB. Not great but I would've guessed they'd be much worse

It doesn't get much worse than 3.4 YPC from your top 2 RBs. It's not like either got a huge amount of carries or was worn out by the workload. They just didn't produce.

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];408340 said:
Williams numbers really werent that bad other than the 2 ints. Thought they were gonna be worse

His numbers are downright terrible.

55 percent completion, 6.2 YPA, 0 TDs, 2 INTs.

There's nothing good about that stat line even without the 2 INTs.

Our D played well but that's not exactly Honey Badger and Mo Claiborne out there.

Thank God. I would not wish their lack of intelligence on anyone. Four on the NFL test is lowest of all time.

Advertisement
You don't want to see your defense getting gashed in the spring game. The defense should be further along right now.

You don't want to see your defense getting gashed in the spring game. The defense should be further along right now.

Agreed. You also don't want your offense to only be scoring 1 TD and putting up a combined 13 points.

The defenses should be ahead of the offense by a little bit but generally you want them to be somewhat evenly matched. If one is completely dominating the other than your having serious issues somewhere.

Finnie will be solid this year

Agreed. He is aggressive,breaks on the ball well, and has awareness that that comes from good instincts. I worried the most about our DB's and corners in particular. I am cautiously optimistic.

we need Duke and at least 2 FR WR ready to go day 1 to be able to do much on offense it seems.

I am not basing this opinion off of the spring game, on the contrary the spring game just confirms what I already thought. there is no legit #1 RB, #1 WR or #1QB for that matter

Advertisement
we need Duke and at least 2 FR WR ready to go day 1 to be able to do much on offense it seems.

I am not basing this opinion off of the spring game, on the contrary the spring game just confirms what I already thought. there is no legit #1 RB, #1 WR or #1QB for that matter

Agreed. Unless Hurn shakes his Hankerson-like slump, the WR's will be just as bad as the RB's, and everything will be by a committee. I just pray Morris isn't BS'ing while he's out, and really is getting himself ready to go because from what we are hearing Ryan Williams is just keeping his seat warm.

Our RBs are solid but theres just nothing spectacular about either one. Hopefully that changes when Duke gets here.

Mike James definitely looks the part though, dang. That kid has put in work the last few years.

I found it interesting that all 3 starting LBs were from last year's class. Eddie Johnson, Denzel Perryman, and Gionni Paul. And they all played well. That's a RS Soph and 2 true Sophomores starting at LB. Of course, Gaines and Buchanan will prob start with Perryman when they return from injury, but IMO that's a great sign that Golden's recruits are really stepping up.

Advertisement
I found it interesting that all 3 starting LBs were from last year's class. Eddie Johnson, Denzel Perryman, and Gionni Paul. And they all played well. That's a RS Soph and 2 true Sophomores starting at LB. Of course, Gaines and Buchanan will prob start with Perryman when they return from injury, but IMO that's a great sign that Golden's recruits are really stepping up.

Johnson is rs fr he is only in second year

crossover22[]_[];408340 said:
Williams numbers really werent that bad other than the 2 ints. Thought they were gonna be worse

His numbers are downright terrible.

55 percent completion, 6.2 YPA, 0 TDs, 2 INTs.

There's nothing good about that stat line even without the 2 INTs.

Our D played well but that's not exactly Honey Badger and Mo Claiborne out there.

Im not disagreeing with you but it was a dumbed down offense with no real shots down field. Im not taking up for him because he has to play better. Im just saying it wasnt as bad as I was thinking

I don't think enough attention is being given to the defense right now. I tend to focus on the negatives like the rest of you guys, but the pursuit speed and execution level on our defense is elite right now. A lot of people get caught up in talent but a defense that has principles of assignment execution and ball pursuit will put a lot of stress on opposing offenses. There are holes in our defense such as pass rushing depth and man cover skills, but the DL strength/anchoring ability and overlal gangtackling that I saw are indicative of a top 10 defense. I've been critical of D'Onofrio because of how conservative he is as a playcaller, but his emphasis on mastering the base defense seems to be paying off right now. It also helps to have legit budding superstars in Chick and Perryman.

Our offense is gonna struggle to make plays unless Duke learns the playbook and adjusts to the college game instantly. With that being said, we won't be going up against defenses as good as our own like we did this past weekend very often. Fisch will come up with creative ways for us to become more explosive, but a lack of consistent running game spells major trouble relative to last year.

Call men an optimist, but if we stay healthy we're capable of up to 9 wins. A good defense means a more consistent team week-to-week and I doubt we'll lose as many close games as we did last year. That tends to be a statistical anomaly, especially when you have a good coach like Golden.

Advertisement
Back