South Florida Hospital Execs Say Current Virus Increase Unlike Last One

I’ve been saying this for a few weeks now, based on my knowledge of the players in South Florida. Things have changed. It’s been obvious for weeks now.

Not saying that there is no danger, and we definitely have to be practicing good aseptic and distancing techniques for the sake of our older relatives, but there’s no need to be panic stricken either.

JD08

Eschew obfuscation through elucidation
Staff member
We were told to expect a sharp rise after Thanksgiving. How bad the spring gets here in FL is still unknown.

423Hurricane

High Profile Wannabe
We’ve come a long since since this damn thing started. Knowledge plus therapeutics have given us some ammo to fight it.

We were told to expect a sharp rise after Thanksgiving. How bad the spring gets here in FL is still unknown.

There is no doubt that the census is going to increase, always does this time of year, and will increase significantly more than usual this year, but it’s still all about capacity and staffing, and everything I’m hearing is that it’s not going be an issue.

My point is, that there are people that want you to believe that beds are going to be spilling out into the parking lot, and refrigerator trucks full of dead bodies are going to be a common place sight at hospitals, and at least here in South Florida we have much better control than that, plus deaths are just nowhere in the same ballpark as they were. It’s not even close.

Of course anything can happen, but right now there is no need for nor sense of panic, just a feeling of being fully prepared.

As far as the spring, that’s a long way off in terms of what we’re looking at. We almost have to look at this in terms of quarters. The vaccine may play a role in the spring, it’s just a matter of production, which has me concerned. I would’ve never thought it would be available as quickly as they say it’s going to be, and I still have my doubts regarding production capacity and distribution, but I could be wrong.

JD08

Staff member
There is no doubt that the census is going to increase, always does this time of year, and will increase significantly more than usual this year, but it’s still all about capacity and staffing, and everything I’m hearing is that it’s not going be an issue.

My point is, that there are people that want you to believe that beds are going to be spilling out into the parking lot, and refrigerator trucks full of dead bodies are going to be a common place sight at hospitals, and at least here in South Florida we have much better control than that, plus deaths are just nowhere in the same ballpark as they were. It’s not even close.

Of course anything can happen, but right now there is no need for nor sense of panic, just a feeling of being fully prepared.

As far as the spring, that’s a long way off in terms of what we’re looking at. We almost have to look at this in terms of quarters. The vaccine may play a role in the spring, it’s just a matter of production, which has me concerned. I would’ve never thought it would be available as quickly as they say it’s going to be, and I still have my doubts regarding production capacity and distribution, but I could be wrong.
People say refrigerator trucks full of bodies without understanding that the capacity of most hospital morgues is not a ridiculously high number.

My comment was that there is an expectation for covid cases requiring hospitalization to increase, not the doom and gloom predictions some like to share.

People say refrigerator trucks full of bodies without understanding that the capacity of most hospital morgues is not a ridiculously high number.

My comment was that there is an expectation for covid cases requiring hospitalization to increase, not the doom and gloom predictions some like to share.

I know you understand the situation better than just about anybody that post or reads here, but the general reading public does not. They just look at headlines and get scared. And it’s just a matter of fact right now that people are just not dying like they were back in March or even in July. Just talk to anybody that treats these patients. Even older more at risk patients are dying at a much lesser rate. All you have to do is talk to people that treat them.

JD08

Staff member
I know you understand the situation better than just about anybody that post or reads here, but the general reading public does not. They just look at headlines and get scared. And it’s just a matter of fact right now that people are just not dying like they were back in March or even in July. Just talk to anybody that treats these patients. Even older more at risk patients are dying at a much lesser rate. All you have to do is talk to people that treat them.
My wife is friends with an elderly couple who have to be around 80 through girl scouts. They both got covid and despite each having comorbidities, they've both fully recovered. One had a 5 hr ER stay, the other was admitted for a few days with pneumonia. It's a completely different situation than March/April.

TheEye

Cane Grad!
Unlike the summer, winter time is an ideal time for Floridians to get fresh air and set up outdoor business locations. Yard visits should be encouraged and not shamed by people. Light up those fire pits.

caneinorlando

Recruit
Ask My GF who's a Critical Care Nurse about Covid...Ask her about the Horror stories her Nurse friends in other Cities tell her....

JD08

Staff member
In addition to the Regeneron treatment, Eli Lilly has one called bamlanivimab that's been give emergency use authorization.

ThomasM

Senior

I'll just leave this little nugget here. This man knows more about COVID-19 than any politician or media mouth.

iCaneOX

8th year Senior

I'll just leave this little nugget here. This man knows more about COVID-19 than any politician or media mouth.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but there's a lot of virologists and pathologists that say the opposite as well. Nobody knows who to believe on this **** anymore.

RemainMack

Junior
Ask My GF who's a Critical Care Nurse about Covid...Ask her about the Horror stories her Nurse friends in other Cities tell her....
I have physician and nurse relatives who also say the same.

unfortunately, my brother is a psychiatrist, and is so busy dealing with covid-related mental health issues where he lives (Argentina) that he has to turn away many people at a time. He’s never been as busy as he is now.