South Florida '19: the DBs

View as article
Advertisement
Darius McClendon- 6’1, 168, 4.74* (Forest Hill)- Another long corner signed to Middle Tennessee St. Plays all over the field for small school. Speed is below average but has some burst (35 VJ).

Never thought I would see the day a Forest Hill football player would make it on a big-board on CIS, but as an alumni of that small school that never used to win ****, I must say I am pleased. Watched a lot of film on this team the past two years, he played both ways and was the starting QB. Rushed for a ton of yards and TDs... Cool kid.

Never thought I would see the day a Forest Hill football player would make it on a big-board on CIS, but as an alumni of that small school that never used to win ****, I must say I am pleased. Watched a lot of film on this team the past two years, he played both ways and was the starting QB. Rushed for a ton of yards and TDs... Cool kid.

History wise...forest hill has to be the worst football program in south florida?...am i right?

Advertisement
Asked to weigh in on adding CB Christian Williams on signing day, Baker said, “I know coach (Mike) Rumph had a relationship with him, we were in the market for a corner and he was a guy that checked all the boxes for what we were looking for. Coach Rumph did an outstanding job.

“He’s a perfect fit for us, and we were a perfect fit for him.”

Baker also said that while Williams will be at cornerback that he also could play safety.

“A guy with his size, speed and physicalness, he’ll definitely be a corner but in a pinch he could play safety,” Baker said.

Christian Williams probably saved Rumph's *** somewhat. I really hope that kid turns out to be good because, although I think Couch is a steal and will outperform his ranking, there were 4 ELITE CBs in Florida this year. Dent, Elam, Stevenson, and Jay. No shame in not pulling Jay...Madison is to FSU as Lakeland is to UF. But when the dust settles, FSU got 2 of those kids, UF got 1, and Miami got 0. Just can't have that type of recruiting and expect to win how we want to win here.

But Williams was a big pull. You simply cannot sit in South Florida and sign 2 DBs in a class. That can't happen. So getting Williams was absolutely necessary. Rumph has proven he can develop kids at that spot, so let's let him work with the 2 he got this year. But eventually we've got to start getting the best of the best in this state.
I think we'll start to see more of a tiered approach to db recruiting going forward. We'll still chase elite guys but have plenty of plan B & C kids being recruited at equal levels of priority with way more out of state targets to combat our low SoFla db success rate.

Syracuse??? really???? Dino must have done one helluva sales job! who would want to live and play in Syracuse, NY... you move FROM Syracuse, not TO Syracuse... Not that Toledo is heaven on earth either.
You need to get over this BS about school location. It's not everything. The choice is about academics and fit in the program. As much as I like SF, other than distance from Mama's house, location is at the bottom of the list so get over it.

The two unheralded guys I'll be watching closely are Adrian Cole (Syracuse) and Zay Flowers (Boston College). Like their upside.

Team-wise, Syracuse and Toledo did well down here.

Toledo and Syracuse always recruit hard down here. Pretty sure Syracuse was Don Chaney's first offer, and they got Nunn committed early. Toledo is always picking up 3 star skill guys from Tampa like Diontae Johnson two years ago and now with Kevin Beard there they've recruited guys like Jacquez Stuart and Joe Smith and Chris McDonald from south ridge. Not to mention they have Udonis Haslem's son on their team too.

Advertisement
Career reviews

Akeem Dent - Signed with FSU. Starter at safety since freshman year. Ranged between decent to horrible in 2019 and 2020. Upgraded his game & is one of the best DBs in the ACC. Draft prospect.

Kaiir Elam - Signed with UF. In the rotation in 2019. Starter in 2020 and 2021. One of the best DBs in the country. Drafted in the first round by Buffalo in 2022.

Te'Cory Couch - Signed with Miami. Special teamer & reserve DB in 2019. Starter at corner/nickel since 2020. Ranges between solid and iffy.

Jaden Davis - Signed with Oklahoma. Rotational DB in 2019. Starter in 2020, 2021 and 2022, solid player. Transferred to Miami. Starting DB in 2023, solid player.

Jarvis Brownlee - Signed with FSU. Redshirted 2019. Starting CB in 2020 and 2021, one of the worst in the country. Transferred to Louisville. Starter in 2022 and 2023, serviceable player.

Adrian Cole - Signed with Syracuse. Reserve 2019. Rotational DB 2020 and 2021. Transferred to FIU. Starting CB in 2022 and 2023, solid production.

Zay Flowers - Signed with Boston College. Moved to offense. Superstar.

Semar Melvin - Signed with Wisconsin. Rotational DB in 2019. Injured 2020, 2021 and 2022. Transferred to Michigan State. Injured in 2023.

James Williams - Signed with Wisconsin. Tore his meniscus senior year of high school. Tore his meniscus again fall camp 2019. Underwent third meniscus surgery spring 2020. Medically retired.

Josh Sanguinetti - Signed with Indiana. Redshirted 2019. Rotational safety in 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Tiawan Mullen - Signed with Indiana. One of the best DBs in college football in 2019 and 2020. Injured 2021. Regressed a bit in 2022 but still solid production. Signed UDFA deal with the Chargers.

Deante Nelson - Signed with FAU. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Played at Iowa Central CC in 2021. Current status unclear.

Chris McDonald Jr. - Signed with Toledo. One of the best DBs in the conference in 2019. Injured 2020 and 2021. Once again one of the best in 2022 and 2023. Draft prospect.

Marcus Lafrance - Signed with Middle Tennessee. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020 and 2021. Current status unclear. Arrested for DUI in 2023.

Darius McClendon - Signed with Middle Tennessee. Redshirted 2019. Rotational safety 2020. Attended New Mexico Military Institute in 2021 and 2022. Transferred to FAU. Starter in 2023, ok production.

Larry Robbins - Signed with Buffalo. Redshirted 2019. Out with injury 2020. Current status unclear.

Tyrique Stevenson - Signed with Georgia. Rotational DB in 2019 and 2020. Transferred to Miami. One of the best DBs in the ACC in 2021 and 2022. Drafted in the 2nd round by Chicago.

Jordan Battle - Signed with Alabama. One of the best safeties in the country. Drafted in the 3rd round by Cincinnati.

Keontra Smith - Signed with Miami. Redshirted 2019. Rotational S/LB rest of career.

Mark-Antony Richards - Signed with Auburn. Moved to RB. Injured 2019. Reserve 2020. Transferred to UCF. Rotational back in 2021. Reserve 2022 and 2023.

Cornelius Nunn - Signed with Syracuse. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020, 2021 and 2022. Current status unclear.

Joe Smith - Signed with Toledo. Redshirted 2019. Current status unclear.

Cecil Powell - Signed with NC State. Starter at CB in 2019 and 2020, one of the best in the conference. Out with back injury in 2021 and 2022. Reserve in 2023. Recently transferred to Troy.

This class produced 12 starters (9 CB, 3 S) and an additional 2 more contributors (Sanguinetti and Keontra Smith.) Two guys (Semar Melvin and James Williams) would have been contributors but were sidetracked by injury.

Career reviews

Akeem Dent - Signed with FSU. Starter at safety since freshman year. Ranged between decent to horrible in 2019 and 2020. Upgraded his game & is one of the best DBs in the ACC. Draft prospect.

Kaiir Elam - Signed with UF. In the rotation in 2019. Starter in 2020 and 2021. One of the best DBs in the country. Drafted in the first round by Buffalo in 2022.

Te'Cory Couch - Signed with Miami. Special teamer & reserve DB in 2019. Starter at corner/nickel since 2020. Ranges between solid and iffy.

Jaden Davis - Signed with Oklahoma. Rotational DB in 2019. Starter in 2020, 2021 and 2022, solid player. Transferred to Miami. Starting DB in 2023, solid player.

Jarvis Brownlee - Signed with FSU. Redshirted 2019. Starting CB in 2020 and 2021, one of the worst in the country. Transferred to Louisville. Starter in 2022 and 2023, serviceable player.

Adrian Cole - Signed with Syracuse. Reserve 2019. Rotational DB 2020 and 2021. Transferred to FIU. Starting CB in 2022 and 2023, solid production.

Zay Flowers - Signed with Boston College. Moved to offense. Superstar.

Semar Melvin - Signed with Wisconsin. Rotational DB in 2019. Injured 2020, 2021 and 2022. Transferred to Michigan State. Injured in 2023.

James Williams - Signed with Wisconsin. Tore his meniscus senior year of high school. Tore his meniscus again fall camp 2019. Underwent third meniscus surgery spring 2020. Medically retired.

Josh Sanguinetti - Signed with Indiana. Redshirted 2019. Rotational safety in 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Tiawan Mullen - Signed with Indiana. One of the best DBs in college football in 2019 and 2020. Injured 2021. Regressed a bit in 2022 but still solid production. Signed UDFA deal with the Chargers.

Deante Nelson - Signed with FAU. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Played at Iowa Central CC in 2021. Current status unclear.

Chris McDonald Jr. - Signed with Toledo. One of the best DBs in the conference in 2019. Injured 2020 and 2021. Once again one of the best in 2022 and 2023. Draft prospect.

Marcus Lafrance - Signed with Middle Tennessee. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020 and 2021. Current status unclear. Arrested for DUI in 2023.

Darius McClendon - Signed with Middle Tennessee. Redshirted 2019. Rotational safety 2020. Attended New Mexico Military Institute in 2021 and 2022. Transferred to FAU. Starter in 2023, ok production.

Larry Robbins - Signed with Buffalo. Redshirted 2019. Out with injury 2020. Current status unclear.

Tyrique Stevenson - Signed with Georgia. Rotational DB in 2019 and 2020. Transferred to Miami. One of the best DBs in the ACC in 2021 and 2022. Drafted in the 2nd round by Chicago.

Jordan Battle - Signed with Alabama. One of the best safeties in the country. Drafted in the 3rd round by Cincinnati.

Keontra Smith - Signed with Miami. Redshirted 2019. Rotational S/LB rest of career.

Mark-Antony Richards - Signed with Auburn. Moved to RB. Injured 2019. Reserve 2020. Transferred to UCF. Rotational back in 2021. Reserve 2022 and 2023.

Cornelius Nunn - Signed with Syracuse. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020, 2021 and 2022. Current status unclear.

Joe Smith - Signed with Toledo. Redshirted 2019. Current status unclear.

Cecil Powell - Signed with NC State. Starter at CB in 2019 and 2020, one of the best in the conference. Out with back injury in 2021 and 2022. Reserve in 2023. Recently transferred to Troy.
Sheesh mostly jags, hard position (pause) to evaluate

Sheesh mostly jags, hard position (pause) to evaluate

Nah, the good ones were good. Elam, Dent, Battle, Stevenson. Those are the guys we were after anyway besides Keontra. Ended up missing on all of them except Keontra. That should tell you something right there. IIRC, we went after and got Couch after we missed on the others.

Advertisement
Nah, the good ones were good. Elam, Dent, Battle, Stevenson. Those are the guys we were after anyway besides Keontra. Ended up missing on all of them except Keontra. That should tell you something right there. IIRC, we went after and got Couch after we missed on the others.
Yea got to land the dogs man. Dent is over rated to me. Battle was good and TS, Elam as well. I knew Dent was a safety but for his ranking he’s underperformed

This class produced 12 starters (9 CB, 3 S) and an additional 2 more contributors (Sanguinetti and Keontra Smith.) Two guys (Semar Melvin and James Williams) would have been contributors but were sidetracked by injury.
dont forget to list 1st round pick next to zay...

so all in, which group is superior: DT or DB? seems like DT hit rate was better but maybe more draftable talent overall at DB

Advertisement
Back