Some thoughts from the scrimmage

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Just got back from Traz Powell, a couple thoughts.

- Stephen Morris picked up where he left off in the Duke game. Very composed, quick release, spread the ball around, same velocity as ever. His biggest improvement has been his ball placement on the shorter passes. Last year, too many of those passes were low and inhibited the receivers' ability to run after the catch. Today, he was on time and put the ball where the receivers could catch it with forward momentum. Herb Waters in particular had a couple of very nice catch and runs. Morris wasn't perfect-- missed a touch throw in the end zone to a wide-open Waters and went high on some passes over the middle. He was also late on the last throw of the game (an out), which Crawford intercepted. But we're in good hands with #17.

- Ryan Williams looked pretty good. He gets heat on the boards, but he is a couple notches above Crow and Dewey IMO. What he lacks in arm strength he makes up for in anticipation. The ball leaves his hands very quickly. Crow was OK and the walk-on from NC (Lassiter?) looked better than average. Dewey may be getting lost in the shuffle. We need Olsen to be the guy, because the young talent at QB is weak.

- Dallas Crawford showed good quickness and got outside on a couple 15-20 yard runs. To use a Jedd Fisch term, he will be a good "utility infielder." His biggest weakness as a runner is a lack of lower-body strength. Dillard has lost weight and made a couple strong runs, including a TD in goalline work. He's a straight-line runner, but he hits the hole hard and has some speed. Walk-on Brandon Yosha did some nice things.

- I was excited to the tight ends, but they were a little off today. Sandland and Cleveland dropped some good throws from Morris, and the rest of them didn't get going. O'Donnell impresses me athletically- he's much smoother than Dye and Perry and has good height and speed. He won't be a factor this year, but he will be good down the road. Standish is a big boy and caught a tough throw over the middle.

- Waters was very active and showed both route-running and the ability after the catch. Scott dropped a nice 40-yard throw from Morris, and Dorsett dropped a sure TD from Morris rolling out. He got a little banged up on that play but should be fine. Hurns had nice chemistry with Morris in the 2-minute drill and caught a few passes on the sideline. Jontavious Carter showed good hands on a couple tough catches over the middle although his RAC isn't great (due mostly to his size). D'Mauri Jones didn't get much burn.

- The most interesting development of the day was Malcolm Bunche playing guard. With Flowers continuing to climb towards his sky-high ceiling, this may be something we see more of in the future. Isidora played RG and Wheeler made some nice open-field blocks at center. Odogwu looks the part but is still a work in progress. Hoilett had his way with him a couple times. Wells and Gadbois also got reps with the ones (Gadbois at LT).

- The defensive line had a good day. Hoilett in particular impressed me with his activity. Porter and Pierre have solidified things inside and Hamilton is getting increased reps with the ones. The Dye injury is heartbreaking. He chased down a couple plays before he hurt his ankle.

- As the president of the Alex Figueroa fan club, today's performance was beautiful. He runs extremely well sideline to sideline, is all over the field, and is very active in coverage. He deflected a pass, made multiple tackles and blew up an end-around to Dorsett. The scary thing is he's still getting bigger and isn't even 100% from his shoulder injury. He will be a star here. The other primary linebackers (DP, Gaines and Kirby) did well and spearheaded the defense. McCord has gotten significantly bigger and will factor in.

- Howard has several nice pass breakups and is coming on strong. Crawford ended the game with a pick and also looked good. Dortch is still skinny but showed he could be physical on several strong tackles. Bush is Bush, but he needs to refine his tackling technique or his shoulder will always be banged up.

- The biggest positive of the day may have been Matt Goudis. He made several field goals, including one close to 50 yards, and looked much improved from last year.

- I spotted Chad Thomas, Michael Smith and Jermaine Grace in the crowd.

Overall, good performance by the defense and nice energy throughout.

Advertisement
Does this mean Morris isn't putting slants and hitches into the WRs feet anymore? Fap.

Just got back from Traz Powell, a couple thoughts.

- As the president of the Figueroa fan club, today's performance was beautiful. He runs extremely well sideline to sideline, is all over the field, and is very active in coverage. He deflected a pass, made multiple tackles and blew up an end-around to Dorsett. The scary thing is he's still getting bigger and isn't even 100% from his shoulder injury. He will be a star here. The other primary linebackers (DP, Gaines and Kirby) did well and spearheaded the defense. McCord has gotten significantly bigger and will factor in.

- Howard has several nice pass breakups and is coming on strong. Crawford ended the game with a pick and also looked good. Dortch is still skinny but showed he could be physical on several strong tackles. Bush is Bush, but he needs to refine his tackling technique or his shoulder will always be banged up.

- The biggest positive of the day may have been Matt Goudis. He made several field goals, including one close to 50 yards, and looked much improved from last year.

122.gif

Good stuff D, thanks for posting.

Where was Walford?

Gonna have to see if you are willing to have a gentlemanly bet on who has a better year, Walford or Sandland. Can't wait to see how Morris does when he gets consistent TE involvement.

Good Stuff D$, I thought Figs looked good also. He has good size and seems to be able to run very well. The play where he came down the line on goal line and filled the hole on Duke for a sure TD was very impressive. Also like how he seems to have good leverage on the outside and can close quickly in open field.

Carter made some nice catches and was maybe the only receiver who didnt drop anything. Waters got alot of work and looked good in open field to get Yac.

Was also impressed with how Odonnell looked, he seems slimmer (narrow) than Standish and Sandland but has good height and seems able to catch naturally and turn up field.

For most part like what I saw and with players we have coming in I think the only position we will be searching for going into season is RB #2

Where was Walford?

Walford started scrimmage with the ones but after maybe halfway thru he took off pads and had ice pack on shoulder. Asante and Sandland got most work with ones after that

Advertisement
Thanks D. Dye was very active before the injury. A true shame.

I love the new starting OL. The back ups showed they have a long way to go.

Jenkin's toe is something to note. It was already taped up before coming out.

Too many drops for my liking by the WRs.

The first and second team dl performed well today. However porter was gased and threw up several times. Grimble was huffing and puffing as well.

Hoilet was by himself a lot off the field but did well while on it.

Great tempo and weather today!

Last edited:

Where was Walford?

Gonna have to see if you are willing to have a gentlemanly bet on who has a better year, Walford or Sandland. Can't wait to see how Morris does when he gets consistent TE involvement.

Walford started but didn't do much. I will take that bet, though. Sandland is a good football player but Walford is a better athlete and more natural mover.

Thanks skyman. You're talking about my boy Jontavious Carter? Beast potential. How's his size(no homo)

Advertisement

Where was Walford?

Walford started but didn't do much. I will take that bet, though. Sandland is a good football player but Walford is a better athlete and more natural mover.

Not knocking Walford but I'm a huge Sandland fan in this offense. Might take some time but those guys can take Morris to another level this year. I'm expecting it to be close as far as receptions, yards, and TDs by the end of the season. Exciting stuff.

Advertisement
i think sandland-morris is going to be beast. give them some time to gel, that will be deadly

I agree. Sandland had a td in goalline work but had a drop across middle that was away from him body. I know Morris likes to rocket passes down middle, might take Sandland some time to adjust to some of those types of passes.

Advertisement
Sandland looks very average athletically.. Did not look like the same guy on video.. maybe hes just adjusting but he doesn't seem to run very well. Standish is huge...Crawford looks better than last year he can be a capable back up still can't believe we don't have a better stable of rbs at Miami because Dillard has NO explosion ... Offense with Morris dominated. drops are the only thing that stopped them... I'm nervous about Tracy, i think antonio Crawford is better..

I agree with everything except Ryan Williams. Thought he had an awful day.

Tracy did very well on playing up on the receivers. His issue is top end speed imo

Advertisement
Back