Some scrimmage thoughts

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
OK fellas, here are my two cents on today's scrimmage in Hialeah. ABizzle and jmhcane had great takes in the Scrimmage Thread which I recommend you check out, if you haven't already.

Somewhat disappointing crowd at Ted Hendricks Stadium. We Cubans don't do 10 AM Saturday scrimmages, so a later start may have been better. Much of the crowd trickled in late.

Overall, it was a lot like last year. Talented players on offense, not enough talent on defense. And for those who say these scrimmages don't mean anything, think about what you heard this time last year. Miller and Streeter making huge plays, Walford emerging as the starting TE, Jacory playing more efficient and the defense looking like crap.

QB

Ryan Williams
brings a lot to the table. First, he is tall and plays tall. He can see over the defense and has a clean, high release. Second, he's accurate. He doesn't throw spirals, but his passes go where he wants them to go. His ball placement is excellent and allows his receivers to run after the catch. The long TD catch-and-run on a slant by Rashawn Scott is just one example.

Another thing, which AlexCane kept harping on when we met after the game, is his anticipation. Williams is able to fit the ball into tight windows despite average arm strength because he gets the ball out so early. Two throws that stand out were corner routes to Thompkins and Dorsett-- Morris sticks those throws, but Williams is also able to fit them in because of his touch. The only throw he missed was a sure TD to Walford in the flats, and it seemed like a timing issue.

The most surprising element of his game is his athleticism. He's slow-- like 5.25 slow. But he's coordinated. I was very impressed by his ability to make subtle movements in the pocket, reset his feet and throw with balance. The pass rush wasn't full-contact, but even if it was he still wouldn't have been sacked much. Fisch called quite a few naked bootlegs today, and Williams (all 6'5 of him) looked the most comfortable of the three on the run.

The main thing about Williams is that he's consistent. Practice to practice, throw to throw, drive to drive, he's the same guy. If he ends up as the backup this year, I believe he'll be the best backup we've had in a long while.

The young quarterbacks struggled, to put it mildly. These guys should be in high school, so it's unfair to judge them. Gray Crow has a pretty good arm and hit a nice out to Dallas Crawford on the sideline. But his accuracy is extremely inconsistent, which I'd attribute to choppy footwork. Some of his throws were nowhere near the mark. Again, it's very very early. Preston Dewey reminds me of Greg McElroy physically. He had some real rough patches but it is still very early in his development.

RB

The team did a lot of 4th and short work, and it's clear that Eduardo Clements is the best short-yardage runner out there. He reminds me of Damien Berry with the way he hits the hole. He doesn't have the patience to break the really big runs, but he will not get caught pitter-pattering in the backfield. Good day for him overall. Mike James broke a 55-yard TD run and showed some nice long speed. IMO, he looks slower than he is because of his tendency to dance through the hole. Once he gets going, he can scoot pretty good.

Maurice Hagens got reps as a one-back and I-formation tailback and looked OK. He hurt his knee adjusting to a Dewey misfire in the flats, but he walked off the field on his own power. CJ Holton was a nice surprise-- he busted a couple nice runs and showed some cutback ability.

TE

Clive Walford
looks like he will our main target in the red zone. He caught a few TDs during drill work and lined up wide to catch fades. I'd like to see him take it to another level. Asante Cleveland has bulked up on top and looks real solid. He caught a few passes over the middle and should be a well-rounded TE for us. After that there aren't any pass catchers. Dyron Dye looked, shall we say, uncomfortable with the ball in the air and David Perry fumbled his only catch. Corey White was on the sideline rehabbing but he could play a role when August comes.

OL

This is still the most talented unit on the team. I think they'll be better this year, and one reason for that is because guys are not out of position. We had a glut of talented guards last year, so we ended up having three guards (BWash, Figueroa and Feliciano) getting starts at tackle. This year it's more spread out.

Jermaine Johnson
was singled out by Golden after the scrimmage, and with good reason. Several long runs (including MJ's) were over him at right tackle, and when Feliciano got dinged JJ slid over to left guard and sprung a few more solid gains. When he gets into someone and extends those long arms, it's a wrap. He buried Jalen Grimble at one point in embarrassing fashion. Another block that stands out at guard is when JJ got out in space, squared up with a linebacker and set up Eduardo Clements for a long run near the goalline.

I am just a big fan of this guy-- he is too physical to waste on the bench, and he is starting to do the little things right. JJ looked slightly uncomfortable pulling, but it's nothing that some reps can't fix. I hope we give him some more looks inside, because a Bunche/JJ/Linder/Feliciano/Seantrel offensive line is intriguing. Seantrel Henderson looked lean and athletic. He got dinged early and sat a few series out. With Seantrel missing much of the scrimmage, Taylor Gadbois got a lot more reps than he was expecting. Gadbois looks the part, but his head was spinning out there. That's what Golden calls "survival mode." He'll get better with time.

Ereck Flowers
, on the other hand, looks ready physically and mentally. He is lean and flexible (definitely a LT) and plays with the same edge you see in his highlights. He had a vicious pancake on Ricardo Williams and does not carry himself like a freshman. I could see him playing an Orlando Franklin-type role this year. Jared Wheeler got the second team reps at center, but I'd be more comfortable if Linder got at least some of those reps. Malcolm Bunche is an intense player-- he flipped out when Gray Crow couldn't get a snap off.

WR

Rashawn Scott
is having a spring to remember. He brings an element we haven't had in a while-- the ability to run after the catch. As Scott showed in his high school clips, he has great moves for a bigger guy and is very comfortable with the ball in his hands. He's still raw as a receiver, but Fisch put him in a position to do what he does well. There were a lot of short, quick hitting routes that got him the ball in space.

People have been questioning his speed, but he had no problem dusting our defense for a 65-yard touchdown. I'd guess he runs somewhere in the 4.4s. Very excited about this guy's upside. Phillip Dorsett looked OK, dropped a couple and caught a couple. He, more than anyone else, will benefit from Morris's arm strength.

I love Dallas Crawford in the slot. He's not fast (I'd guess 4.7) but he's quick as **** and catches with his hands. Most important, he is a football player. Two plays stick out. On a key third down, he found the soft spot in the zone, waited for a Williams pass and held on while getting crushed by a backer and safety. On another play, Kendall Thompkins caught a little swing pass and Crawford came all the way across and sprung him for a TD with a huge block. This guy brings an attitude to the offense and gives us the pure slot guy we haven't had since Pimp Collier.

DL

Bottom-line: there is not enough talent here. With Chickillo out, it was glaring. Olsen Pierre, Jalen Grimble and Ricardo Williams have not impressed me. Curtis Porter and Darius Smith are stout in the middle, but they weren't exactly making plays in the backfield.

One guy who I've always liked is Kelvin Cain. I wasn't sure about using him as a hand-in-the-ground defensive end, but he really looked good. Made a couple sacks and was fairly strong at the point of attack. Cain played there in high school, so it's not foreign territory for him. He is developing a complete skill set-- this morning, he played as a down lineman, a stand-up rusher, and dropped into coverage occasionally from both positions. If he can progress, his versatility will allow D'Onfrio to be more creative in the zone blitz game.

LB

Denzel Perryman
was Denzel Perryman-- keeps to himself, doesn't say much and flies to the ball. Gionni Paul got a lot of first-team reps at MIKE and was active. Jimmy Gaines made a couple plays and showed his characteristic hustle.

S

Oh boy. Not a good day for these guys. On the two big plays (James TD run and Scott TD catch) the starting safeties looked like they were standing in cement. The backups weren't any better. AJ Highsmith had a couple nice tackles but dropped a sure Dewey INT in his hands. Unlike every other position, help isn't on the way. This position needs an infusion of speed, so color me concerned.

CB

I'm a Thomas Finnie fan. He's as fast as anyone on the team and he's a kamikaze in the run game. Just his presence adds to the personality of the defense. Brandon McGee, was, well, McGee. He had an open-field tackle opportunity against Rashawn Scott that ended up looking a lot like the Tebow/Revis showdown last year. Larry Hope caught my eye. Nice burst and feistiness. I'm actually less concerned about this position than safety.

Duke, Malcolm Lewis, Tracy Howard and a few others were all sitting together watching the scrimmage. Lamar Miller and Tommy Streeter were out there too. Overall, this is a team that could really use the infusion of 30-odd freshmen. Too many walk-ons got snaps today. Long, long way to go, but seeing Ryan Williams perform like he did is an encouraging sign.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Scott kinda reminds me of Hankerson in the sense that he has deceptive speed. I would say Scott might look more smooth when running than Hank did.

You say Gionni Paul was active, did he look like he had better understanding of the defense scheme?

Williams won't be backing up anybody this year. Day one starter.

Hopefully Ray Ray and VT's extensive experience can help them overcome a lack of speed and play-making ability. I'm somewhat worried but at the end of the day those are two senior safeties with a ton of experience.

Will be interesting to see how the LB position shakes out when Buchanan gets back in the fall.

Hopefully Ray Ray and VT's extensive experience can help them overcome a lack of speed and play-making ability. I'm somewhat worried but at the end of the day those are two senior safeties with a ton of experience.

Will be interesting to see how the LB position shakes out when Buchanan gets back in the fall.

Can't say that for a fact until Morris is out there competing.

Advertisement
i'm kind of starting to think that too.

Advertisement
Ryan Williams and the Miramar crew:

Duke and Tracy

Hopefully there will be a lot of improvement between now and the Spring Game. It sounds like we still might be a 6 and 6 team.

Hopefully there will be a lot of improvement between now and the Spring Game. It sounds like we still might be a 6 and 6 team.

+1 It would be nice to see all the QB's improve some(which I think they will) and Definitely the defense.

Advertisement

Would much rather have a 6 and 6 team with a bunch of Freshman/RS Freshman than with the amount of JRs/SRs we had last year. At least then, things can only go up.

The D won't catch up for another two seasons...bank on it...a season and a half if we are lucky. We were left with really old Ramen Noodles and a few boxes of really old macaroni and cheese (the one with the cheese powder) and a jar of marinated artichokes. We needed to build the defensive line over again (these kids take time to grow) and we are still super young at defensive back and with that, we still need to address the safety spot with urgency through recruiting. Hopefully, when you have Chickillo and Grimble on the DL as seniors, Jelani Hamilton and Earl Moore as juniors and you get guys like Keith Bryant and whoever else we have as defensive tackles as sophomores, and Denzel Perryman as a senior you'll see this defense back to full strength with quality DEPTH. Once you break up that flow with roster poor roster flow, its tough to get it back. Randy basically left his last two recruiting classes with nothing (4 from '10, one real contributor; 5 from '09, one real contributor and a few guys that are oft-injured and have a bunch of excuses why they haven't played a bunch yet). This defense needed an enima and a full on detox.

On offense, the athletes will be athletes, especially with the ones you get at Miami. But the D, we are starting to bring in the athletes, but those guys don't come up overnight.

I don't think the D will be any better than it was last year. Maybe Coach D, after using these guys for a year, will be able to put them in a better position to succeed and we'll see improvement...but the D is too young, not going to be strong enough, not going to have the high enough football IQ across the board yet to make a big impact. So, this season, I am thinking we see a wash and similar results from last year on D. Next season, I'd like to see an improved D, but I just don't see the D, considering STILL the lack of real depth to take a huge jump, but in '14, I can see it. Finally unclogged the drain and the water will run free at that point. Its just, as is, you have a lot of things working against you on D to really be high end.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hopefully Rashawn Scott takes it to the field and isn't Darnell Jenkins part two.

Darnell Jenkins was pretty good...would like Scott to be that level good to goo laong with our other wrs//...pretty much Nuke was our #1 one year.

I'm thinking in this next class WE NEED.....at least one JUCO dlineman that is READY....also we need to recruit juco safeties...especially with the schollie reductions

Last edited:
I never thought Jenkins lived up to all the hype, every year he was a Greentree All American, don't even think he made all league and was best receiver on what a .500 team... never was what thought he be based on his off seasons.

The D won't catch up for another two seasons...bank on it...a season and a half if we are lucky. We were left with really old Ramen Noodles and a few boxes of really old macaroni and cheese (the one with the cheese powder) and a jar of marinated artichokes. We needed to build the defensive line over again (these kids take time to grow) and we are still super young at defensive back and with that, we still need to address the safety spot with urgency through recruiting. Hopefully, when you have Chickillo and Grimble on the DL as seniors, Jelani Hamilton and Earl Moore as juniors and you get guys like Keith Bryant and whoever else we have as defensive tackles as sophomores, and Denzel Perryman as a senior you'll see this defense back to full strength with quality DEPTH. Once you break up that flow with roster poor roster flow, its tough to get it back. Randy basically left his last two recruiting classes with nothing (4 from '10, one real contributor; 5 from '09, one real contributor and a few guys that are oft-injured and have a bunch of excuses why they haven't played a bunch yet). This defense needed an enima and a full on detox.

On offense, the athletes will be athletes, especially with the ones you get at Miami. But the D, we are starting to bring in the athletes, but those guys don't come up overnight.

I don't think the D will be any better than it was last year. Maybe Coach D, after using these guys for a year, will be able to put them in a better position to succeed and we'll see improvement...but the D is too young, not going to be strong enough, not going to have the high enough football IQ across the board yet to make a big impact. So, this season, I am thinking we see a wash and similar results from last year on D. Next season, I'd like to see an improved D, but I just don't see the D, considering STILL the lack of real depth to take a huge jump, but in '14, I can see it. Finally unclogged the drain and the water will run free at that point. Its just, as is, you have a lot of things working against you on D to really be high end.

I agree with the theme of what you're saying but I think/hope that the D will be a bit better this year due to continuity and the influx of talent at DB.

we were decimated with injuries and suspensions last year. the DL and LB should be about the same as last year but with a year of experience in the new system. I think that these young guys, howard, bush, etc will make an impact in the backfield.

we will certainly be more talented back there this year. it was painful watching that Wake Forest kid last year. I'd much rather watch a talented FR give up big plays than a low ceiling guy like Williams back there taking up minutes

Advertisement
Back