Some game thoughts- "Peaceful Easy Feeling"

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
This feels good.

Tyriq McCord's sack yesterday reminded me of a line from Star Wars. "It's as if millions of voices cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced." No more dopey Facebook statuses, no more "Come Play with the Joker" photoshops, no more glory days. Gator Nation is put to rest. They'll keep talking, but the words will be as empty as the Gator section after Duke's TD.

- Everybody talked about how vanilla we looked on offense against FAU, but it was really the defense that was hiding something. The Canes played much more 3-4 on Saturday, especially on first and second down. Will this be Miami's primary formation going forward, or was it a Florida-specific plan to stop Driskel's running? I think it's here to stay.

- This win validated Golden's vision for Miami-- "Tough, disciplined, well-conditioned." Miami showed so much more strength and gap-integrity than they did against Kansas State and Notre Dame, and they were the ones delivering blows in the 4th quarter. We always knew Golden had the vision and the words to sell that vision. Now we are starting to see that vision manifest.

- I was struck by how many upperclassmen played on the defense. Porter, Gaines, Green, Robinson, Renfrow, Gilbert, Cain, Gaines, Rodgers, Highsmith. This was a veteran group, not overmatched kids like Earl Moore and Daquan Ivery against Notre Dame.

- Morris played a lot like he did against Virginia Tech last year. He threw a couple of dimes early that had the Gators at his mercy, then he followed that up with a parade of three-and-outs. But the credit needs to go to to the Gators. They have three first-round corners with Purifoy, Roberson and Hargreaves, and Easley's inside pressure prevented Morris from stepping up in the pocket. EJ Manuel looked better against the New England Patriots than he did against the Gators. They're good.

- The biggest concern with the offense is down and distance. Miami averaged 11.5 yards to go on third down. If Miami is going to improve on its 1/11 third down conversion rate, it needs to do a better job on first and second down. The next few weeks will be a good opportunity for Coach Coley to tighten the screws with the passing game. I'd like to see us work on different ways to get Duke Johnson the ball. He is more versatile than he showed on Saturday.

- Clive Walford is becoming a complete tight end. His blocking has improved dramatically (look at Clements's long run) and he can run after the catch. I hope we as Canes fans can appreciate his talent. South Florida hasn't produced a tight end this good in a long time.

- We always knew Rayshawn Jenkins had size and athletic ability, but his passion for the game continues to impress. He plays with effort, will come up in run support and has tremendous range. He almost ran down a second pick on a Driskel overthrow.

Congratulations to everyone in Coral Gables who worked so hard for this win.

Advertisement
**** OF A WRITE UP D-MONEY....

LOVE IT...Man happy days are here to stay..

We really beat a good team that has a strong defense...that was a sound secondary with a sick D-line...it always helps
having a disruptive player in the middle...

Last edited:
Spot on comparison to the Virginia Tech game of last year. That's exactly how I felt going into halftime. The only difference being, we never put together a long drive in the 2nd half for a game clinching TD. We relied on our D to flip the field with McCord's sack/fumble.

Maybe I'm biased but you gotta love the Star Wars quote.

I've re-watched the game twice already and what stood out to me more than anything was the play of Armbrister and DP. They tackled well and were in the right place on almost every snap.

There was a pretty big breakdown by our defensive coaching staff on Florida's 4th quarter TD....we only had 10 guys on the field....why was no timeout called pre snap? Other than that I tip my hat to D'Onfrio...he did exactly what I had been screaming for the week leading up to this game, namely we consistently stacked the box and dared Driskel to beat us. The fact UF averaged 2.8 yards a carry is a testament to the gameplan and continued improvement by several individuals on the D.

On offense it's been 2 games now and I'm at the point where I'm absolutely shocked by how we are completely ignoring the middle of the field. No slants, no intermediate digs, no seam routes. This HAS to change. Also, against a team like Florida that plays man under cover 1/2 about 85% of the time there should have been a ton of drag routes....I don't think we completed one all game. The jury is still very much out on Coley as a play caller IMO but I'm willing to give him more time.

Lastly....what can you say about Porter....forget about simply being labeled our best D lineman, the kid is a straight up stud. He held the point of attack on every snap and could not be pushed off his spot. He consistently occupied multiple blockers and got push straight up the middle. If the kid's not careful he's gonna get drafted in the first 2-3 rounds of next April's draft.

We have a very realistic chance of strolling into Tally undefeated and firmly ranked INSIDE the top 10. Exciting time to be a Canes fan...the next 2 months should be a lot of fun.

Advertisement
Great post. Guys who people thought weren't ****(me included), like Thurston and Cornelius, are looking big and strong, and they're making plays. Everybody is finding a way to contribute. The playmakers keep getting better and keep making plays, such as Jenkins I don't like what is going on with the offense at all, but I think we will get it corrected. We finally look like a team of men that withstand the physical games and PUNISH the other team. That hasn't been the case for years. This team needs to become cohesive now, where we can click on all fronts. That's what the next 4-5 games are for. That is the next step (and winning a big game on the road).

Last edited:
We just need to learn how to play 4 qtrs of ball..on both sides this year...

The D played tons of plays and faught hard

the offense is 5 for 25 on 3rd downs....that is unacceptable to win in the ACC..the ACC team as bad as they are like UVA and UNC, wake and will grind and play keep away..

we have any turn overs busted play or two and we can be in big trouble against a lousy team...

sav st and USF we need to get that fixed it was bad last year and even worse this year...its the only weakness I see..

just getting 5+ yards on 1st down will help...morris seems to get rattled in 3rd and longs..

Not only do the gators pound you and try to wear you down, they run alot of misdirection stuff that gets to you mentally. I saw multiple plays that broke for big gains against teams from last year when I watched their games that we were in good position (middle screen, fake fly sweep one way pitchout the other with 2 lead blockers, wildcat, etc.) all those plays scored TDs against FSU, USC, TAMU, etc. I say that to say not only were we tough but were extremely disciplined and didnt get physically or mentally fatigued. We were in great shape. Our D was on the field almost the whole game and dominated!!!

Have to also give a huge shoutout to Renfrow. I dont know what his value was or maybe wasnt a scheme fit for UVA, but dude has shown his worth already. Not only in backing up Porter but I saw alot of 3 man line of Pierre, Porter, and Renfrow when we went to odd fronts. And those guys held the point of attack. Kept Denzel free and even made plays to shed and get tackles at Line of Scrimmage. Renfrow is going to be a big piece o what we do. I hope we are looking for our next 6'6 seldom used senior for next year to get minutes in big games, I saw a pic of him hugging what seems to be a close family member after the game, use that sh*t in recruiting someone...

Advertisement
People on here called renfrow a bum after the FAU game and I saw NONE of that. Buddy is the best backup DT we have had probably since 05'. He's not a superstud but he doesn't have to be. Just play solid enough to give guys like porter the rest he needs.

The 4 man DT rotation of Porter, Robinson, Renfrow, and Pierre has me very excited.

Muschamp's decision to go for 2 after their first TD was a total slap in the face to our team and was as big a momentum changer as any of their 5 turnovers. By pulling that nonsense, he not only fired up our team when he should have had them doubting themselves, but he showed a total lack of respect for Miami as an opponent. Running that kind of mickey mouse play on a 2 point conversion is something you try against Middle Tennessee St to 'show something on film,' not in the middle of a tight rivalry game you think you could lose.

People on here called renfrow a bum after the FAU game and I saw NONE of that. Buddy is the best backup DT we have had probably since 05'. He's not a superstud but he doesn't have to be. Just play solid enough to give guys like porter the rest he needs.

The 4 man DT rotation of Porter, Robinson, Renfrow, and Pierre has me very excited.

We Finally .. And I mean FINALLY... Have the size to Play War Daddy Football upfront on the DL instead of trying to use Gimmicks. That 4th and inches stop was the greatest illustration of how far we have become. Last Year - Florida would pushed us Back at least 3-5 years off the ball.

JC

- The biggest concern with the offense is down and distance. Miami averaged 11.5 yards to go on third down. If Miami is going to improve on its 1/11 third down conversion rate, it needs to do a better job on first and second down.

The run right and run left on virtually every 1st and 2d down resulted in the 3rd and longs. Coley was clearly very reluctant to risk INTs; hence the conservative play-calling. But they are going to have to mix it up from here on out.

Advertisement
The 4 man DT rotation of Porter, Robinson, Renfrow, and Pierre has me very excited.[/QUOTE]

This ^^^^^^^^^

This feels good.

Tyriq McCord's sack yesterday reminded me of a line from Star Wars. "It's as if millions of voices cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced." No more dopey Facebook statuses, no more "Come Play with the Joker" photoshops, no more glory days. Gator Nation is put to rest. They'll keep talking, but the words will be as empty as the Gator section after Duke's TD.

- Everybody talked about how vanilla we looked on offense against FAU, but it was really the defense that was hiding something. The Canes played much more 3-4 on Saturday, especially on first and second down. Will this be Miami's primary formation going forward, or was it a Florida-specific plan to stop Driskel's running? I think it's here to stay.

- This win validated Golden's vision for Miami-- "Tough, disciplined, well-conditioned." Miami showed so much more strength and gap-integrity than they did against Kansas State and Notre Dame, and they were the ones delivering blows in the 4th quarter. We always knew Golden had the vision and the words to sell that vision. Now we are starting to see that vision manifest.

- I was struck by how many upperclassmen played on the defense. Porter, Gaines, Green, Robinson, Renfrow, Gilbert, Cain, Gaines, Rodgers, Highsmith. This was a veteran group, not overmatched kids like Earl Moore and Daquan Ivery against Notre Dame.

- Morris played a lot like he did against Virginia Tech last year. He threw a couple of dimes early that had the Gators at his mercy, then he followed that up with a parade of three-and-outs. But the credit needs to go to to the Gators. They have three first-round corners with Purifoy, Roberson and Hargreaves, and Easley's inside pressure prevented Morris from stepping up in the pocket. EJ Manuel looked better against the New England Patriots than he did against the Gators. They're good.

- The biggest concern with the offense is down and distance. Miami averaged 11.5 yards to go on third down. If Miami is going to improve on its 1/11 third down conversion rate, it needs to do a better job on first and second down. The next few weeks will be a good opportunity for Coach Coley to tighten the screws with the passing game. I'd like to see us work on different ways to get Duke Johnson the ball. He is more versatile than he showed on Saturday.

- Clive Walford is becoming a complete tight end. His blocking has improved dramatically (look at Clements's long run) and he can run after the catch. I hope we as Canes fans can appreciate his talent. South Florida hasn't produced a tight end this good in a long time.

- We always knew Rayshawn Jenkins had size and athletic ability, but his passion for the game continues to impress. He plays with effort, will come up in run support and has tremendous range. He almost ran down a second pick on a Driskel overthrow.

Congratulations to everyone in Coral Gables who worked so hard for this win.

I'm too excited about forever owning the Gators to get down on Coley, SM, or anything else. But if the Gators truly have 3 first round corners to go with all the first-round front seven guys talked about on the board, it will be the worst draft(s) in history (at the very least in terms of my viewing pleasure).

I'm too excited about forever owning the Gators to get down on Coley, SM, or anything else. But if the Gators truly have 3 first round corners to go with all the first-round front seven guys talked about on the board, it will be the worst draft(s) in history (at the very least in terms of my viewing pleasure).

Hargreaves is a pup, so tough to tell how much more he'll develop. Roberson is pretty close to a 1st rounder, if not a surefire 2nd rounder. Purifoy is a legit 1st round prospect.

Advertisement
Defensively, I think we reached the point where we are rotating the right amount of underclassmen into the game that we are near the desired depth golden wants. Year to use three shouldn't be large drop offs or rebuilding years like that.

On offense, we need to get a solid player to spell duke. gus Edwards really need to step up and prove himself before fsu.

Amazing how much good DL will help a defense look. Such a great point about what we have been trotting out at DT in recent years.

Great write up D.
I can't praise Curtis Porter enough. He'd been hurt so much in his career i thought our fan base may have been overrating him a bit-but he is the truth at the point of attack.

2 points to underscore:

1) Agreed with DMoney that Coley has to find ways to get Duke the ball in space. Was disappointed that there was not a single RB screen pass all game, particularly with SteMo struggling.

2) Agreed w/ Jedi about not attacking the middle of the field. Very disappointed about that. Walford should have multiple targets in the middle of the field and we need to get some of our playmakers some drag routes and let them make guys miss.

Advertisement
Back