SoFla High School Roundup: Week 5

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Northwestern (4-1) 7
Southridge (1-4) 0

-This was just a terrible game to watch in all honestly. Neither offense could get anything going, which isn't exactly surprising because of the Spartan's talent on the defensive side of the ball and the struggles of their offense this year. Credit has to go to Northwestern too for blocking a potential game-winning field goal with 3 minutes left, before running back Darius Tice busted loose for a 73-yard touchdown a few plays later. Southridge's nightmare season continues, while Northwester still has a tough road after last week's district loss to Carol City. They will need to beat Central, Homestead, and Belen to have a realistic shot at the playoffs.

Game Highlights: http://sfhighschoolsports.com/videos/all/northwestern-vs-southridge

Columbus (3-2) 17
Central (2-2) 28

-For the second straight year, a Central running back took over the game to defeat the Explorers. Last year, Joseph Yearby ran for 280 yards and 4 TD, this year Dalvin Cook rushed for 170 yards and 2 TD on only 9 carries. 2014 Miami OL Commit Trevor Darling also looked great in the game. In my eyes, Cook is a 5-star talent. He just does everything so effortlessly and makes it look so easy. Keep in mind that he did this against Columbus, who is one of the top teams down here. He also came up big in the team's comeback win over BTW earlier in the year.

Here are Tito Benach's thoughts on the game:
After allowing Joseph Yearby to score five touchdowns last year, Miami Central let Dalvin Cook have his fun as he rushed for three touchdowns to lead Central to a 28-17 victory

Notes

-You guys got me, I was originally on the Yearby bandwagon but after this game I am officially on the Dalvin Cook bandwagon. This kid is a flat out beast, Dmoney made the comparison to Lamar Miller except stronger, which I feel is spot on. Cook has incredible speed and burst,but he has amazing strength compared to Miller. Cook is the type of running back Miami needs.

-Yearby had a solid game as he rushed for over a hundred and had one touchdown. Yearby has great cutting ability and runs hard. I feel Yearby will be a great back in college, however I don’t see Miami truly pushing here. He doesn’t bring anything new to the table. He reminds me of Graig Cooper, shifty yet somewhat strong back. I don’t think Miami will push hard here, but I still feel he will be great.

-Miami Commit Trevor Darling is five-star material. He has incredible size and great footwork. I spoke with some Columbus players, who said he is the best offensive lineman they have ever seen. According to them, you can’t use speed on him or just out-power him because he will knock you on your *** if you try. Darling has amazing talent and could be the top O-lineman in Florida for 2014.

-Columbus struggled on offense this game, as they failed to put a touchdown on the board in the first half. They were having difficulty generating offense as the run was getting stuffed and the passing game was covered well by Central.

-2015 Safety Calvin Brewton had a couple nice plays including some good tackles on Yearby and Cook.

This is a good win for Central coming off the loss to Manatee as they play Homestead next week which is sure to feature two high powered offense. As for Columbus, they fall to 3-2 and play Coral Park next week hoping to use that game to pick up the morale.

Game Highlights: http://sfhighschoolsports.com/videos/sport/football/all/central-vs-columbus

I talked to Dalvin Cook after the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CkejrRdKcY

Jackson (4-1) 27
Miami Beach (3-2) 14

-Winky Flowers continued his stellar season with a 3 TD performance, where he showed off his athleticism and arm strength on multiple occasions. The more and more I see of him, the more I think he is an absolute must-get. Whether it's at QB or as an ATH, he is the type of prospect that can't get out of Miami. We will learn a lot about him when Jackson faces Booker T on October 12th.

Game Highlights: http://sfhighschoolsports.com/videos/sport/football/all/jackson-vs-miami-beach

Norland (4-1) 42
Hialeah (3-1) 7

-The post-Duke era at Norland continues to be a success, as the Vikings routed the previously undefeated T'Breds. Norland QB Taron James completed 6 passes and 3 were for touchdowns.

Game Highlights: http://sfhighschoolsports.com/videos/all/norland-vs-hialeah

Cypress Bay (4-1) 17
Miramar (2-3) 13

-I will let MiramarSports' Cameron Underwood go more in-depth about this game later, but the Patriots' youth is showing, as they suffered their 3rd loss of the year. Albeit, Cypress Bay is a very worthy opponent. Miramar had a chance to score multiple times in the 4th, but couldn't take advantage of their opportunities. Cameron Underwood will have more later.

Game Highlights: http://sfhighschoolsports.com/videos/sport/football/all/cypress-bay-vs-miramar

Other Scores
Booker T over Edison 53-0
South Plantation over Taravella 42-21: Alex Collins with two 80+ yard TD runs-- Highlights: http://sfhighschoolsports.com/videos/sport/football/all/south-plantation-vs-taravella
South Dade over South Miami 35-2
American Heritage over Sebring 55-7
STA over McArthur 65-20
Gulliver over Pace 21-20
Carol City over North Miami Beach 34-13
Homestead over Varela 23-6

Advertisement
Northwestern (4-1) 7
Southridge (1-4) 0

-This was just a terrible game to watch in all honestly. Neither offense could get anything going, which isn't exactly surprising because of the Spartan's talent on the defensive side of the ball and the struggles of their offense this year. Credit has to go to Northwestern too for blocking a potential game-winning field goal with 3 minutes left, before running back Darius Tice busted loose for a 73-yard touchdown a few plays later. Southridge's nightmare season continues, while Northwester still has a tough road after last week's district loss to Carol City. They will need to beat Central, Homestead, and Belen to have a realistic shot at the playoffs.

Game Highlights: South Florida High School Sports

Columbus (3-2) 17
Central (2-2) 28

-For the second straight year, a Central running back took over the game to defeat the Explorers. Last year, Joseph Yearby ran for 280 yards and 4 TD, this year Dalvin Cook rushed for 170 yards and 2 TD on only 9 carries. 2014 Miami OL Commit Trevor Darling also looked great in the game. In my eyes, Cook is a 5-star talent. He just does everything so effortlessly and makes it look so easy. Keep in mind that he did this against Columbus, who is one of the top teams down here. He also came up big in the team's comeback win over BTW earlier in the year.

Here are Tito Benach's thoughts on the game:
After allowing Joseph Yearby to score five touchdowns last year, Miami Central let Dalvin Cook have his fun as he rushed for three touchdowns to lead Central to a 28-17 victory

Notes

-You guys got me, I was originally on the Yearby bandwagon but after this game I am officially on the Dalvin Cook bandwagon. This kid is a flat out beast, Dmoney made the comparison to Lamar Miller except stronger, which I feel is spot on. Cook has incredible speed and burst,but he has amazing strength compared to Miller. Cook is the type of running back Miami needs.

-Yearby had a solid game as he rushed for over a hundred and had one touchdown. Yearby has great cutting ability and runs hard. I feel Yearby will be a great back in college, however I don’t see Miami truly pushing here. He doesn’t bring anything new to the table. He reminds me of Graig Cooper, shifty yet somewhat strong back. I don’t think Miami will push hard here, but I still feel he will be great.

-Miami Commit Trevor Darling is five-star material. He has incredible size and great footwork. I spoke with some Columbus players, who said he is the best offensive lineman they have ever seen. According to them, you can’t use speed on him or just out-power him because he will knock you on your *** if you try. Darling has amazing talent and could be the top O-lineman in Florida for 2014.

-Columbus struggled on offense this game, as they failed to put a touchdown on the board in the first half. They were having difficulty generating offense as the run was getting stuffed and the passing game was covered well by Central.

-2015 Safety Calvin Brewton had a couple nice plays including some good tackles on Yearby and Cook.

This is a good win for Central coming off the loss to Manatee as they play Homestead next week which is sure to feature two high powered offense. As for Columbus, they fall to 3-2 and play Coral Park next week hoping to use that game to pick up the morale.

I talked to Dalvin Cook after the game: 2014 RB Dalvin Cook Interview - YouTube

Jackson (4-1) 27
Miami Beach (3-2) 14

-Winky Flowers continued his stellar season with a 3 TD performance, where he showed off his athleticism and arm strength on multiple occasions. The more and more I see of him, the more I think he is an absolute must-get. Whether it's at QB or as an ATH, he is the type of prospect that can't get out of Miami. We will learn a lot about him when Jackson faces Booker T on October 12th.

Norland (4-1) 42
Hialeah (3-1) 7

-The post-Duke era at Norland continues to be a success, as the Vikings routed the previously undefeated T'Breds. Norland QB Taron James completed 6 passes and 3 were for touchdowns.

Cypress Bay (4-1) 17
Miramar (2-3) 13

-I will let MiramarSports' Cameron Underwood go more in-depth about this game later, but the Patriots' youth is showing, as they suffered their 3rd loss of the year. Albeit, Cypress Bay is a very worthy opponent. Miramar had a chance to score multiple times in the 4th, but couldn't take advantage of their opportunities. Cameron Underwood will have more later.

Game Highlights: http://sfhighschoolsports.com/videos/sport/football/all/cypress-bay-vs-miramar

Other Scores
Booker T over Edison 53-0
South Plantation over Taravella 42-21: Alex Collins with two 80+ yard TD runs-- Highlights: http://sfhighschoolsports.com/videos/sport/football/all/south-plantation-vs-taravella
South Dade over South Miami 35-2
American Heritage over Sebring 55-7
STA over McArthur 65-20
Gulliver over Pace 21-20
Carol City over North Miami Beach 34-13
Homestead over Varela 23-6

Funny that the comparison of Yearby to Graig Cooper comes up.

Last edited:
That interview of cook makes me sick.

On a kid like Dalvin you do whatever it takes to land him!!!!!

Massive fail

Advertisement
Back