SoFla High School Football: Final Week

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Some good match ups in the final week of the regular season. No district implications, but interesting games nonetheless.

Wednesday
Columbus-Killian: 6:30 @Southridge

Both teams have clinched playoff spots, but this game still has implications considering this could be a preview of the 3rd round of the playoffs. Columbus has dominated the series in recent memory, but look for Killian to make it closer this year. JaQuan Johnson looks to continue his incredible season and Trumaine Washington will face his former school. It will be a good matchup between him and FSU commit Jesus Wilson.

Friday
Booker T. Washington-Southridge: 7:30 @Southridge

I'm not really sure what to expect in this one. Booker T should win, but they may be resting some of their normal starters in preparation for next week's playoffs. Southridge is out of playoff contention so we will see what kind of energy they come out with. It will be the last high school game for Jamal Carter and I expect him to play hard as he has all year.

South Dade-Homestead: 7:30 @Harris

The two rivals from down south have been talking back-and-forth for a while now and they finally get to prove themselves on Friday. Homestead will be playing their 3rd game in a week, as they played in the three-way tiebreaker last night (It wasn't a full game). South Dade has surprised some people this year with their 8-1 record including wins over Southridge and Killian. There are two really good match ups in this game. 1) Ermon Lane vs. South Dade CB Antwan Cordy. Cordy is a smaller corner (5'9"), but is the Bucs' best player. He is scrappy and physical so it will be fun to see him against the taller Lane. Another interesting note is that Cordy played for Homestead last year. 2) South Dade WR Tyre Brady vs. Mario Mezier. Mezier has looked good on defense this year, but Brady will be the most talented receiver he faces all season. Brady has a great size/speed combo that could give Mezier problems, but much like Cordy, Mezier is scrappy and won't back down.

Jackson-Northwestern: 7:30 @Traz Powell

Northwestern is coming off of their big three-way tiebreaker win over Carol City that got them into the playoffs. Their #1 concern right now is making sure Artie Burns gets healthy for the possible 2nd round playoff game against Central. They should win this game against Jackson, who will face American Heritage Plantation in the 1st round of the playoffs. I'm interested to see how Jackson QB Quinton Flowers performs against this Bulls defense, which has been really good this season, led by DE Michael Smith, DT Gerald Wright, CB Laverick Johnson, and Burns. It's a tough test for Flowers, who doesn't have much help around him, but I want to see how he handles it.

Other games: American Heritage Delray-Dwyer, Krop-Norland, STA-Deerfield Beach

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back