So much for the thought that Golden wasn't recruiting

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Kids that 1. Had a certain street toughness and 2. Had speed.

I seem to remember some posts that Golden wanted "clean" Penn State type kids- whatever that meant. That we were getting away from some of the tough city kids with attitude. The second worry was that we werent focusing on speed.

Advertisement
The speed comments were legit and in a way we are trying to recruit bigger players, which would mean less speed in some cases. I remember the comments really began with the Carter and Jones commitments.

I like what Golden is doing in recruiting. Great start to 2013. lets hope we close strong for 2012

We probably had more speed than teams like Bama and Oklahoma, look where that got us. Give me the big tough men.

As always, you need both. Take linebacker, for example. It doesn't matter if you can run a 4.4, if every single time you are engaged by an OL, you cannot get off the block. It also doesn't matter if you are 240 pounds of muscle, if by the time you disengage a blocker, the running back has flown by you. You've got to have both, and so far, we seem to be improving in both.

I will say this-- knowing that Swasey is a master of improving agility/speed/quicks/etc..., I would much rather take a guy that has a big frame and solid weight, with the expectation that Swasey can turn him into a better athlete, rather than take a quicks/speed guy and hope Swasey fills him out in the weight room.

Advertisement
The Miami program has always been synonymous with speed and great athletes. Last years defense was one of the slowest in recent memory, and with the loss of guys like Benjamin, Streeter and. Miller, the offense lost a lot of it as well. The '12 class has partially addressed this issue and we're off to a great start for '13. You can NEVER have enough team speed.

As always, you need both. Take linebacker, for example. It doesn't matter if you can run a 4.4, if every single time you are engaged by an OL, you cannot get off the block. It also doesn't matter if you are 240 pounds of muscle, if by the time you disengage a blocker, the running back has flown by you. You've got to have both, and so far, we seem to be improving in both.

I will say this-- knowing that Swasey is a master of improving agility/speed/quicks/etc..., I would much rather take a guy that has a big frame and solid weight, with the expectation that Swasey can turn him into a better athlete, rather than take a quicks/speed guy and hope Swasey fills him out in the weight room.

+1

This type of athlete is much better for swaseys methods

Advertisement
Back