Snippets from 247 sports

Astcloud11

Senior
Premium
Paradise Camp

Top 5 Targets (According to 247) that will be camping.
1. Alex Leatherwood -
2. Devonta Smith
3. Jerry Jeudy
4. Anthony McFarland Jr
5. Marco Wilson

QB Articles - Paradise Camp

2020 Max Johnson
Bogart (Ga.) Oconee County quarterback Max Johnson might not even be a freshman in high school yet, but just because he's of young age doesn't mean he won't be a priority target for Miami this weekend at Mark Richt's inaugural Paradise Camp.

Johnson, who is the nephew of Richt and son of former NFL quarterback Brad Johnson, was offered by the Hurricanes back on Feb. 16.

He says that quarterbacks coach Jon Richt has been pushing to get him to Coral Gables for the elite camp ever since he visited the school back on May 2.

"I'm just looking to go to Miami and compete," Johnson said.

"Coach Richt is a great coach. I'm excited to be around some great players and a program on the rise. I'm expecting some good competition."

"I think [John Richt] is cool," he added. "I'm just looking forward to being around all the coaches, players, and seeing the campus."

Johnson (6-2, 165) also holds an offer from Florida State where his father was a star quarterback for the Seminoles back in the mid-90s. He says that Tennessee and North Carolina have also shown interest.

Miami is set to host 2017 quarterback commits N'Kosi Perry and Cade Weldon on Saturday. The Hurricanes are expecting top 2018 quarterback target — Casey Thompson — to be in town, as well.

2018 Casey Thompson
Miami's top quarterback target in the class of 2018 will be on campus this weekend.

Moore (Ok.) Southmoore Top247 quarterback Casey Thompson told InsideTheU on Wednesday that he'll arrive in Coral Gables on Thursday and stay through Sunday for the Hurricane's inaugural Paradise Camp.

He says that he's more than excited to get to work with Miami quarterbacks coach Jon Richt.

"I really just want to get down back there and to hang out with the coaches," Thompson said. "I have been talking a lot with [Jon Richt], but I have also been talking to [head coach Mark Richt] every other week ... They said that I'm the guy that they are going after for 2018 and that I was the first offer for them."

Thompson, who is ranked as the the No. 5 dual-threat quarterback in the class, was offered by the Hurricanes back in December. He made his way to campus for the team's spring game back in March and said that's a reason why he's returning so soon.

"I wouldn't be coming back to visit Miami if I didn't like them a lot," Thompson said.

"They would be right there probably if I had to make a top five list of schools."

Thompson is the younger brother of former Utah quarterback and Oklahoma transfer Kendal Thompson. He's also the son of former Sooners quarterback Charles Thompson, which in turn has the Big 12 school right in the thick of the recruitment, although it should be noted that Thompson says things are open.

"This will actually be my first camp of the summer," Thompson said when asked about Miami.

"I feel like a real priority for them."

Thompson (6-1, 184) was at Clemson on Wednesday for an unofficial visit. He has also taken trips in the past to Ohio State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. The rising junior was named The Oklahoman's Big All-City Offensive Player of the Year this past after throwing for 2,670 yards and running for 1,011 more while accounting for 52 total touchdowns.

Other

2018 ATH Xavier Williams a priority

Chaminade-Madonna athlete Xavier Williams is one of South Florida's top prospects in the 2018 recruiting class and it's only natural that Miami would recruit him as such.

They're well on their way with Williams after becoming one of his very first scholarships in October. The transition was a minor bump in the road but ended up being quickly forgotten.

"I lost contact with Miami after the whole staff left but as soon as they hired everybody, Chaminade was one of their first stops," Williams said. "Coach Hartley said I'm one of their number one priorities as far as keeping recruits down here. I like that idea and I've known Coach Ron Dugans since he was at USF. He's a nice guy, he wants me out for the Paradise Camp, and I'm looking forward to building that relationship more."

Williams (6-0, 180) is expected in Coral Gables on Saturday but that won't feel particularly outside the ordinary. He surely has more connections there compared with any other program.

"I know mostly everybody going there and even the ones I don't, I've met them at least," Williams said. "It feels like a family environment already since I'm familiar with the people. I also like the history with putting so many players in the league. I would give them an A+ and they're in a good spot."

Williams has accumulated a total of 26 BCS offers in the early going. He has taken single trips to Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia, Tech, Miami, and South Carolina.

Williams expects to stop at each of the in-state 'Big 3' within the next two weeks but overall, he hasn't attempted to make much progress with his recruitment.

"I wouldn't make it out to be my fault but I need to do better reaching out to coaches," Williams said. "I should take it upon myself before September 1st to see who I'm feeling. I've done it occasionally with a few schools, Miami, Alabama, Florida State, and Oklahoma. I'm letting everything come to me right now because once my junior year starts, that's when I really find out who wants me."

Williams went on to discuss the pros and cons that accompany the status of being considered a top prospect, especially so early in the game.

"It's very cool and I don't forget to think about my blessings every day," Williams said. "I just worked hard, went to camps, and improved throughout the season. We also have a good coach who helps promote all our kids. It's a little stressful because every time you get a new offer, that's another one you have to hear out. It's hard trying to figure out where you stand with every single school but I honestly love it."

Williams prefers the wide receiver position but doesn't like that label because it's too restrictive. He can play in the secondary too and makes that clear to college programs.

"I try to play like Calvin Ridley, we talk a lot and I love his game," Williams said. "Sam Bruce is the other one so those two are mentors to me. They tell me everything I need to do. I was born with it (talent) but I'm also a hard worker who loves to put in the time. Coaches say once you get to the next level, everybody was born with it. The way you can make it easier for yourself on the field is continuing to grind."

Williams had 23 catches for 617 yards and 8 touchdowns in 2015. In addition to returning 3 punts for scores, he added 15 tackles and 2 interceptions on defense.

Williams is a four star prospect according to the 247Sports Composite, ranking him 43rd overall in the nation, 2nd at his position, and 6th overall in the state of Florida.

New Crystal Ball to Miami

Miami could be in shape to land a commitment from an offensive lineman this weekend.

Brunswick (Ga.) Glynn Academy unranked offensive tackle Zalontae Hillery will be in Coral Gables for the first time on Friday after landing a scholarship offer from the Hurricanes back in early May.

He told InsideTheU on Wednesday that he hasn't ruled out giving a verbal pledge to Miami on what will be the first real campus visit of the recruiting process for him.

"I want to take some visits, but there's a chance," Hillery said. "I'm already comfortable with Miami and the coaches."

Miami is in need of offensive tackles this cycle and Hillery, who has seen his stock explode in recent months, is set to get plenty of one-on-one time with offensive line coach Stacy Searels at the Paradise Camp on Saturday. A strong performance from Hillery in drills would likely result in a situation where the Hurricanes would press to get him in the class.

Hillery (6-6, 280) is the high school teammate of current Miami commit Deejay Dallas. While that gives him an obvious tie to the school, it should also be noted that he wants to study architecture in college and is impressed with what Miami's program has to offer its students. The rising senior also claims offers from Alabama, Florida, Georgia Tech and N.C. State.

Romeo Finley Working to earn a role

Freshman Romeo Finley understands the importance of knowing the playbook in order to earn a role this season.

Finley, a four-star recruit and the 15th-best safety in the country according to 247Composite, enrolled at the University of Miami in May after graduating from Niceville High School in the panhandle of Florida.

“I’m liking it a lot,” Finley said. “It’s a big transition from high school with workouts and eating right, but all in all I love it a lot. It’s just really hot down here, that’s the only thing.”

Finley said the playbook is “kind of difficult,” but he has been putting in time to learn it.

The upperclassmen have helped Finley make the adjustment and have given him advice on how to speed up the process of understanding the playbook: “Go with your coaches and get a lot of one-on-one time and you’ve got to live the playbook.”

Finley has taken their words to heart and has been meeting with safeties coach Ephraim Banda at least three times a week.

“I’m learning it and I’m improving a lot and once I know it, I know that I’ll be way better than I am now,” Finley said. “It will help me a lot because I’ll know where I need to be and all of that and it will just make me a better player.”

Finley, who stands 6-foot-1 and is up to 208 pounds—eight pounds heavier than when he arrived—and has a body fat percentage of five, is hoping to learn the playbook as fast as possible and earn a role as a freshman with seniors Rayshawn Jenkins and Jamal Carter along with Jaquan Johnson ahead of him on the depth chart.

“My number one goal is to play in every game and get a couple snaps on defense—I’ll probably be on special teams, but just to get in, get acclimated, and get my feet wet my freshman year,” Finley said.

Finley is embracing a role on special teams—something he did as a senior at Niceville where he finished with 110 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and two interceptions.

“I like playing on the kickoff team and going down there to tackle somebody,” Finley said.

The summer workouts have also been an adjustment for Finley.

“They’re real,” he said. “Just how long they are, more stuff you do in between the workouts with no resting, and you’ve got runs at 6 a.m. twice a week.”

Finley was a late addition to the 2016 signing class committing the Hurricanes the day before Signing Day picking Miami over Clemson and Georgia Tech among others.

“Growing up Miami was my favorite school and they was the last visit I took,” Finley said. “I liked it so much and I just had to go here. It’s good for me with being away from home and a lot of coaches ask me if I’m homesick yet and I say, ‘No.’ I don’t even think about it because I love it here so much.”

Being away from home is something Finley has embraced.

“I thought I would be like, OK I’m ready to go home already, but I actually love it and ready to do something new every day,” he said.

He has developed a good relationship with the fellow freshmen and others like Michael Jackson and Sheldrick Redwine.

Fall practices begin on Aug. 4.

“Training camp is going to be real,” Finley said. “It’s going to be something I’ve never did before, but I’ll like it. I’ll adapt to it.”

Non Football Related-ish

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Highest Paid Actor

Former University of Miami defensive lineman Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson was the highest paid actor in the world last year, according to Forbes.

Johnson made $64.5 million last year, which ranked No. 19 on the Forbes Celebrity 100 list.

Here is what Forbes had to say about Johnson:

“Rock-solid box office numbers helped the erstwhile wrestler become the world’s highest-paid actor. Since helping launch the billion-dollar fast and furious franchise and leading 2015’s San Andreas to a surprising $474 million worldwide, Dwayne Johnson has become Hollywood’s go-to action hero. Next up for the beefy star: a starring role in the upcoming Baywatch remake. “I can kick *** better than anyone on the planet,” Johnson told Forbes. “And I have a decent smile.”

Johnson was a defensive lineman at the University of Miami from 1992-94, winning a National Championship with the 1991 team. He finished his UM career playing in 39 games, totaling 77 tackles and 4.5 sacks.

All of this information is courtesy of miami.247sports.com

Advertisement
It's tough to say who my favorite recruit is, it seems like we got a lot of good ones. That being said, I'm a huge fan of Finley. "The Activator" is gonna crush peeps on kickoff. Looking forward to watching him for the next 3-4years. Best hair in the country!

Go Canes!

Thanks for the share Astcloud. Intriguing about Max Johnson. Would be funny to be directly coached by your cousin and uncle.

Let's get that naming donation for the IPF from Dwayne Johnson. Literally The Dwayne Johnson Practice Facility, nickname that ***** "The Rock" and put a statue of him in front of it for all I give a ****. He's our Phil Knight lol

Let's get that naming donation for the IPF from Dwayne Johnson. Literally The Dwayne Johnson Practice Facility, nickname that ***** "The Rock" and put a statue of him in front of it for all I give a ****. He's our Phil Knight lol

Sounds like a plan!

Advertisement

Brilliant idea. Talk about a recruiting tool.

I actually think we should name it after Sean Taylor, but I like "The Rock" as an alternative, lol.

What would be REALLY weird is to see him and Weldon fighting for playing time at UM, like their dads did at FSU.

Advertisement
I actually think we should name it after Sean Taylor, but I like "The Rock" as an alternative, lol.

Sean should be worshipped man fk it put them both up....or just a picture of the rock dropping the peoples elbow on a gator and that indian mascot fsu has

Advertisement
Back