Snippets from 247 sports Part 2 (07/15)

Astcloud11

Senior
Premium
Paradise Camp Related

Malik Davis

Malik Davis has a Miami offer, but he wants to prove his worth at Saturday’s Paradise Camp.

“I just want to let them know that I’m the real deal,” Davis said.
Davis is coming off a monster junior season at Tampa Jesuit as one of the most productive running backs in the country rushing for 2,337 yards and 28 touchdowns. He needs 1,206 yards as a senior to become Hillsborough County’s all-time leading rusher passing Clemson’s Ray-Ray McCloud.

Davis (5-11, 190) holds 30 offers, but has still been flying under the radar for big-time programs despite his impressive resume. He’s currently rated as a three-star recruit by 247Composite as the 61st best running back in the country.

“I definitely feel I’m still under the radar and I think that’s maybe because a lot of these guys that are higher-ranked recruits than me have been going to camps since they were freshmen and my first time ever going to a camp was this past season,” Davis said. “I think that’s what it is and maybe I should have been going to camps and things like that. This past season I’ve started to go to camps to get my name out there more I think it has helped.”

Being overlooked by some is something Davis takes in stride.

“I just use it as motivation,” Davis said.

Davis recently listed Miami in his top seven along with North Carolina, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Illinois, Kentucky, and Indiana. He plans on making a decision within the next few months and not waiting until after his senior year.

He is hoping to get offers from high-profile schools Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee, which he has heard from, but none of the five have offered.

“They obviously know who I am, but they just haven’t offered,” said Davis, who will be visiting Florida next weekend.

North Carolina has been recruiting him the hardest.

“They have a great coaching staff and I have developed a great relationship with their coaches,” Davis said. “They are recruiting me very hard and they let me know how much of a priority that I am.”

Davis visited Miami in the spring for a junior day and it’s a school he’s intrigued by.

“I know they have a history of producing great running backs especially since Mark Richt went there; I think they’ll be well off and do pretty well this next season,” Davis said. “When they offered me they were my first big-time offer and I think my seventh overall offer. Since they offered me coach Mark Richt hit me up on Twitter, their running backs coach (Thomas Brown) and coach Ron Dugans, and they let me know how excited they were about me and how much they love my film and things like that.”

Davis is one of many recruits with a Miami offer that will be attending the Paradise Camp on Saturday.

“I’m looking to get a feel for the school and the coaches and just see where we’re at with each other so I can be sure I’m making the right decision when I do commit to any school I do commit to,” Davis said.

On the field Davis, whose favorite running backs are Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch, has proven himself as a quality back rushing for over 1,700 as a sophomore before his big junior year.

“I feel like I’m an every-down back and I’m a great runner and a great running back,” Davis said. “Even though I have speed and strength I can stay in on first, second, and third down. I can catch the ball and I have great vision, which I think is what separates me. A lot of kids just get the ball and run and I don’t see many other running backs that have better vision than me.”

His goals for this season are simple:

“I just want to do better than I did last year—rush for more yards, score more touchdowns, and average more yards per carry than I did—and also get a championship.”

Adrian Ealy
Andrew Ivins of 247sports: Just a heads up on Top247 tackle Adrian Ealy. I just spoke with his father and the family is trying to make it down this weekend for the Paradise Camp, but plane ticket prices have thrown plans for a spin. He says that they are going to look Friday and see if they can find something cheap to still make the trip. Regardless of what happens this weekend, Andrew Ealy says that his son is high on Miami following his March visit and that mom and dad want to see campus before a decision is made. LSU is the team to beat.

3 Questions for Mark Richt heading into Paradise Camp

Mark Richt’s inaugural Paradise Camp will bring more than just handful of prospects to campus.

Mark Richt's 'Dawg Nights' at Georgia usually resulted in commitments for the Bulldogs. (Photo: David Lake, 247Sports)
The Hurricanes are expecting 80 plus recruits including top targets like five-star offensive tackle Alex Leatherwood and five-star wide receiver Devonta Smith to be in town for the elite event which will feature Ray Lewis, Michael Irvin, Antrel Rolle and other ex-Miami stars as guest coaches.

InsideTheU answers three pressing questions heading into the weekend.

Who could commit?

When Richt held his ‘Dawg Night’ camps at Georgia they usually resulted in a number of commitments for the Bulldogs.

That could be the case this weekend for Miami.

The 247Sports Crystal Ball is trending heavily in favor of the Hurricanes for Cedar Grove (N.J.) three-star wide receiver Evidence Njoku and some in Coral Gables believe that he’ll give a verbal pledge to Miami before he returns home.

While Njoku, who is the brother of current Hurricanes tight end David Njoku, is an obvious pick to commit, he isn’t the only target that could pull the trigger at some point on Friday or Saturday.

Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas three-star cornerback Brian Edwards will travel to campus with his mother for the first time. He, like Njoku, has had his named linked heavily to Miami the past few weeks after visiting twice in June and should be considered a Miami lean according to some inside his camp.

Should Edwards, who is ranked by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 49 cornerback, commit, he would give the Hurricanes a body with plenty of upside at a position of need.

That could be said about Brunswick (Ga.) Glynn Academy offensive tackle Zalontae Hillery. The unranked lineman isn’t exactly a household name on the national recruiting scene, but he has seen his stock take off in recent weeks and claims offers from Alabama, Clemson, Florida, N.C. State and Georgia.

The high school teammate of Miami four-star athlete commit Deejay Dallas told InsideTheU on the Thursday that he hasn’t ruled out giving a pledge to the Hurricanes this weekend and that’s primarily because he already feels comfortable with offensive line coach Stacy Searels.

It also wouldn’t be a surprise if Miami added a 2018 prospect or two to the commit list before things are all said and done. Miami Northwestern Top247 linebacker Billy Joseph and Buford (Ga.) High running back Christian Turner are two rising juniors to keep an eye on in that department.

Who does Miami need to impress?

The list is long when it comes to prospects that Miami needs to make up ground with this weekend, but there might not be a bigger name that will be in town than Smith.

The Hurricanes want to add a dynamic talent at wide receiver to the class and Smith checks all of the boxes. The nation’s No. 15 overall prospect plans announce a decision on Aug. 15 and with many in the recruiting industry thinking that Alabama is the team to beat, this will be the Hurricanes’ coaches final chance to make an in-person pitch.

They’re in a similar same boat when it comes to Fort Lauderdale American Heritage cornerback Marco Wilson.

The Top247 prospect is expected to make a decision sometime within the next month or two and with Florida the school that has received a recent run of picks on the 247Sports Crystal Ball, Miami needs to make a move on the Hurricanes legacy, and fast.

Other top targets that Miami will look to impress includes 2018 Orange City University Top247 running back Lorenzo Lingard, Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha Catholic Top247 running back Anthony McFarland Jr. and Palm Beach Gardens three-star safety Amari Carter.

Lingard has been a priority for Miami at running back next cycle, but he hasn’t give any indication in terms of which way he’s leaning. That should keep Thomas Brown busy as the running backs coach will also try and sell McFarland Jr. — who called Miami a 'dream school' at The Opening — on the thought of being the guy in Coral Gables.

Carter has visited campus a number of times in the past, but Notre Dame is believed to be the leader following a recent trip to South Bend. Miami safeties coach Ephraim Banda will look to change that.

Who could impress Miami?

Miami might have used much of its June individual and team camps for evaluation purposes, but there will still be a few prospects on hand that could shoot up the recruiting board with strong performances on Saturday.

Orange Park Trinity Christian three-star athlete Derrick Smith plans to workout at safety. He's a prospect that Miami’s coaches like in the secondary, but it appears that a few other guys are in front of him on the short list of targets.

That’s also the deal with Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas three-star wide receiver and West Virginia commit Michael Harley and Valdosta (Ga.) Lowndes three-star wide receiver Xavier Jenkins.

Harley is a prospect that has had plenty of contact with Miami in the past, but he's a slot receiver that fits the same mold as a number of other wideouts already on the roster. Jenkins on the other hand decommited from Georgia this past weekend, and while likes Miami, it’s unclear at the time if he brings enough to the table to be that fourth or fifth guy in the class.

Elite Prospects not being recruited heavily anymore?
Read these articles and neither recruit mentioned Miami going after them hard.

Jhavonte Dean

Cornerback Jhavonte Dean (Brenham, Tex./Blinn College) said Alabama still leads.

He visited Alabama last month and plans to return next Friday for a two-day trip.

"It was pretty nice," Dean said. "It was basically what I expected. The campus was what I expected. I felt like they really wanted me. Coach (Nick) Saban said I'm a priority. He told me everything they do there and how Alabama puts guys in the league."

Dean said he now plans to make a verbal commit before his season in 'late August or early September.'

I've logged the lone and first Crystal Ball pick in for Alabama.

Dean said he still hears from Cincinnati (who he signed with coming out of high school), Florida, TCU, Utah, Kentucky and UCF.

Dean will have three years to play two on the Division 1 level.

Dean has offers from Miami, Cincinnati, Oregon State, Alabama, Utah, TCU, Florida, Kentucky and UCF.

As a freshman, Dean recorded 18 tackles and 12 pass breakups in nine games.

Dean (6-2, 180) runs a 4.3-second 40-yard dash.

Jarez Parks
Defensive end Jarez Parks (Sebastian River, Fla.) said he will visit Clemson tonight and tomorrow.

Parks will visit Auburn Monday and then stop by Alabama Tuesday and Florida State the following day before heading back home.

Parks said he will be joined on the trip with his coach Kevin Pettis and four of his teammates including his brother Wayne Parks, a safety, and defensive tackle Ron Freeman.

Both Wayne Parks and Freeman are Bowling Green commits.

Their teammate, Wake Forest linebacker commit Jamal Riggins, isn't joining them on this trip.

Parks, who publicly listed Florida as his leader in February, has since opened that stance.

"I'm wide open to everyone," said Parks, who has 32 verbal offers. "I still literally hear from all of (my offers). It hasn't died down."

Parks has been to Florida, Florida State, Miami and Alabama.

He added a comment on each of the programs he will visit this upcoming week.

Clemson: "I mostly talk to (defensive ends coach Marion Hobby). I want to see what the hype is about."

Auburn: "Everything is unknown now to me. So I want to see what the hype is about there. I've always wanted to see what Auburn is like."

Florida State: "It was really cool there. They have a very talented team. They have some cool guys there."

Alabama: "It was really cool. It was more than I expected. They stand out for sure because of their top-notch facilities."

The Crystal Ball reads 100-percent for Florida, the program his family and him grew up liking.

Parks said he still "a lot" from Gators defensive line coach Chris Rumph.

The four-star recruit is ranked as the nation's No. 4 weakside defensive end and the No. 13 prospect in Florida in the 2017 class by 247Sports.com Composite Rankings.

Note, not only does Parks not mention Miami when describing what he likes about his top schools, he is also visiting Clemson over going to Paradise Camp this weekend. Miami may not be big on him with DJ Johnson filling the pass rusher role for this class.

Team Related

TE Njoku Getting Faster, More Dangerous

Tight end David Njoku has used his speed to break free from defenders like he did on his 58-yard catch against Virginia last season and his long touchdown during an open scrimmage this spring.

Njoku’s speed has been an asset for him and now he says he’s even faster.

“I’m definitely faster,” Njoku told InsideTheU. “I’m at like a 4.49-4.5 (in the 40-yard dash) now. I was at 4.56-4.58 so I know I’m definitely getting faster. If I keep training like this I’m definitely going to run a sub-4.5 whenever we test. I’m very excited to be faster.”

Speed at the tight end position is extremely beneficial and hard to find.

“It just makes my game that much better,” said Njoku, who stands 6-foot-4 and weighs 245 pounds.

Njoku is coming off a freshman campaign in which he averaged a team-high 17.2 yards on 21 catches for 362 yards and one touchdown.
He’s poised for a big sophomore season this fall and has been making other adjustments in addition to gaining more speed.

“I’m eating a lot healthier with the staff and (nutritionist) Kyle (Bellamy), who is a tremendous guy,” Njoku said. “He’s making sure we eat the right stuff every day so I feel healthier and I feel better when I run. I’m ready to get this thing going.”

Njoku often speaks about the tight end group, which also includes Standish Dobard and Chris Herndon. One change he’s noticed from his group, which he calls a “power three” is their competitiveness.

“One thing I’ve noticed is the tight ends are taking everything very personal,” Njoku said. “When we’re at practice or anything that’s competitive it always gets personal. It means that we’re that competitive that we take everything to heart with everything we do like route-running in one-on-ones with the linebackers. We do that extra step to win because we know how much it means to us and we’re very competitive. Everything is personal. From here on out everything is personal.”

Njoku has also developed into being more of a competitor than when he first arrived at UM in 2014.

“When I first got here I wasn’t as competitive, but now that I’ve been here I’ve gotten used to it and just being content is not an option,” Njoku said.

Summer workouts are continuing and have been picking up in the final stretch before fall practices begin on Aug. 4.

“Things have gotten a little tougher and a little more difficult,” Njoku said. “Everything is very disciplined. We’re just grinding every day to get it. … It’s not easy, but it’s worth it.”

Njoku’s younger brother, 2017 wide receiver Evidence Njoku, will be visiting UM this weekend for the Paradise Camp. Evidence is expected to commit to Miami at some point according to the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

247Sports Ranks the top 20 Underclassman

20. Jack Allison - FR
19. Dayall Harris - RS SO
18. Scott Patchan - RS FR
17. Tyree St Louis - SO
16. Sheldrick Redwine - SO
15. Lawrence Cager - SO
14. Jaquan Johnson - SO
13. Demetrius Jackson - RS SO
12. Sam Bruce - FR
11. Travis Homer - FR
10. Zach McCloud - FR