• Attention: Register today to view CanesInSight Ad-Free for 7 days.

SIAP but an interesting story on Manny Diaz's time at Texas

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
No doubt there's an element of "culture" to it. Perhaps he's not telling the whole story. I appreciate Coach Diaz's insistence the reason for the turnaround from his poor showing in Texas is "toughness" and "tenacity," but some people who've dug a little deeper claim there was some controversy over how he wanted to run his defense vs what he was encouraged to do at Texas.

That's not hindsight. Before he started here, people who know I've followed Diaz's career asked, and I answered honestly: didn't know if it was true, but supposedly Texas encouraged Diaz to move away from 2-read coverages and toward more reliance on man coverages (after year 1) in an effort to maintain the perception of "DB U."

If that's true, and the evidence he went back to 2-read coverages at La. Tech and Miss. St at least lend credence to the speculation, the turnaround is as much due to technical Xs and Os as it's been to intangibles like "toughness and tenacity."

Last edited:

scrantoncane

Sophomore
I read this too. The strange part was, at least in the article I read, it was at the suggestion of the DB coach. I don't recall his name, but I didn't recognize it at the time either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simplycanes

Senior
At Texas he was an early scapegoat for a program spiraling deeper into the crapper. Mack himself didn't survive that season. If there were "schematic" themes to his outcome there they were a byproduct of the direction that program was headed and not the other way around. I think we too are familiar with that experience, unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

grover

Senior
Diaz deserves all the credit he's getting. He earned it. And I love his aggressive approach to scheme and individual performance.

But he also scored with Kul, who is the best damn DL coach in the nation. And perhaps the biggest gift was Shaq Q, who as a true Sophomore has taken ownership of this team and changed the mentality from one of entitlement to merit-based. Now he's brought in Delaney in the backfield, and demanded Chad to provide the same level of leadership along the line. When the best players demand the most from themselves, the coaches have a lot of wind at their back.

MedleyCane

Senior

Story reminds me of Tony Franklin's situation at Auburn when Turbeville brought him over to revamp the offense.
That was an absolute clusterfk, with stories of Turbeville's assistants not getting along with Franklin, which led to
an embarrassing in-season firing.
That was the only stop for Franklin where he wasn't productive.
Culture and fit for coaches are a real issue.

The Franchise

The Best EVER
I watched that Texas team regularly, and there was zero toughness and horrific tackling. So Diaz is very smart to learn from that abortion. When BYU runs it up your cagootz for 600 yards that's an abject failure in toughness and tackling.

You can be the most brilliant tactician in history, but if your team is soft and turns down tackles you're done.

k9cane

Senior
I watched that Texas team regularly, and there was zero toughness and horrific tackling. So Diaz is very smart to learn from that abortion. When BYU runs it up your cagootz for 600 yards that's an abject failure in toughness and tackling.

You can be the most brilliant tactician in history, but if your team is soft and turns down tackles you're done.

That was when BYU had Taysom Hill at QB and they literally ran like the same 3 plays over and over and there was nothing they could do about it. I remember that was the same day Miami beat Florida...

mackjones

Sophomore
Insightful article. Nevertheless, Miami RETURNING to it's roots with the ' 4-3 ' also helped a lot. I believe that change of base defense, along with the toughness and improved tackling went a long way in Miami becoming a legitimate Top 20 defense last season. Now, I ABSOLUTELY expect Miami to be a nasty Top 10 defense in ' 17! hUh.