• Attention: Register today to view CanesInSight Ad-Free for 7 days.

Off-Topic Separation of Church and State . . . You be the judge.

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
If there were any doubt what this new Supreme Court is all about, they are showing their true colors now. It is unfortunate. Truly our previous president has been a disaster for the people. His justices are going to erode our rights.
I don't have a problem with it ONLY IF we start taxing the denominations whose schools they are sponsoring.

imurcane

Retired staff
Premium
I don't have a problem with it ONLY IF we start taxing the denominations whose schools they are sponsoring.
Interesting point. Im all for revoking tax exemptions anyways; this seems to work out as a nice compromise. Naturally, it'll never happen because it seems to be just the right amount of common ground and common sense!

westcoastcanes

Sophomore
Premium
Interesting point. Im all for revoking tax exemptions anyways; this seems to work out as a nice compromise. Naturally, it'll never happen because it seems to be just the right amount of common ground and common sense!
It is only a start. Far from a compromise. I would be pretty upset if my tax dollars were going to a school that is discriminatory based on faith, or doesn't teach to the state/federal guidelines at a bare minimum.

Suhrthing

Recruit
Does this ruling ruling distinguish which 'religious' schools can and cannot partake? Me thinks you should brush up on your CONUS knowledge...

CaneinBroward

Recruit
As long as it isn't the government establishing a religion or prohibiting the fre exercise of religion, it's good.
So, the Satanic Church has been granted tax exempt status from the IRS. If they should open a school in Maine, meet the state's educational requirements, but teach about the Satanic Church, as a Maine taxpayer you'd be okay with your tax money going there?

Suhrthing

Recruit
So, the Satanic Church has been granted tax exempt status from the IRS. If they should open a school in Maine, meet the state's educational requirements, but teach about the Satanic Church, as a Maine taxpayer you'd be okay with your tax money going there?
I don't think you understand how taxes work...

NC_Canes_11

All American
The issue isn’t where your tax dollars go, bc ultimately you have zero say in that. The issue is if the government doesn’t offer a public school for your kids, they shouldn’t be allowed to tell you which schools you can spend that stipend on.

But IMO this is exactly how things should work. School choice should be exactly that, choice.