Scrimmage Views from the WEZ

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
I'll repeat here what I wrote to some of my friends off the board yesterday:

Coaching

Try my best not to read into what is shown in a Spring scrimmage, but can't help but notice what's trotted out there and what is called. On offense, we looked about the same with formations and what I envision is an eye toward attempting more power run game. At least I hope. They didn't try it yesterday, but it's what I envision from the pistol sets. I won't go too deeply into the playcalling. It's a Spring scrimmage and I imagine plays were called specifically to get stuff to review on tape. Offense still remains my primary concern in terms of what happens in meaningful games - on 3rd down and in the RZ.

In terms of defense, I didn't see us show anything we didn't show last year. An assortment of DB blitzes and split coverages. I had become increasingly concerned not with the defensive philosophy, but its execution. Plainly, we need to be better on 3rd down and we need to rely less on the zone blitzes that I *am* a fan of, but more selectively. The Nickel position will determine our year more than any position other than QB.

Speaking of QBs, I'll post what I wrote to my friends.In answering to a friend who had said all the QBs looked good, I wrote:

I didn't really see that, but I guess we all sum it up different ways. All QBs looked generally inconsistent to me - with varying differentials between their "good stuff" and "bad stuff." All made some very good throws. Rosier and Kosi made some bad ones. Williams looked like the most talented passer with the least differential between his "good" and "bad." He was also making only one read most of the time. I'll add he had far less opportunities than the others, so smaller sample size. Kosi made a couple 2nd read completions. I agree we'll be in better shape than last season. I expected more from Kosi, who executed some elite throws and then looked skittish. Sometimes on back to back plays.

There's more to dig in there. I don't know if Williams will be ready in time, but his intangible talent is tough to overlook. He is extremely poised, though, as I mentioned elsewhere, not necessarily ready. He should be in HS, so what else can we expect.

RBs

Couldn't get a great look at anyone because of limited emphasis on the run game. Lingard looked different than what I expected. Would need to see more to find a comparison of style of play, but I guess those previous mentions of Todd Gurley had skewed my expectations in terms of style of play. He did show nice burst to the outside on a play.

Deejay Dallas looks like he gained 20 pounds solely in his legs. Ha. Looks very big.
Homer looked about the same, though put the ball on the ground on a sweep going left.
Burns ran a few times that made me take notice. On one 6-8 yard gain, I thought "hey, that could have helped us last year." Runs behind his pads with good lean.

WRs

Story was obviously the kid. Hightower has extremely clean hands and excellent body control. We have a ton of WR talent and look forward to all of them pushing each other. And, for Pope's arrival.

TEs

I was told this was a "good day" for the TEs. Yikes, man. We all know we need help here and it's coming.

OL

That RT position is terrifying. I'm unsettled by Donaldson's move out there. Perhaps he'll settle in, but he's not totally comfortable in pass pro. Someone else mentioned the RPOs effects on our OL and, while I won't go down that route, I'm wondering if we have a sort of mixed approach that doesn't let our guys get settled in.

DL

I breathed easier after watching our DEs yesterday. If they stay healthy, we have more than enough. We have potentially 3 elite DEs. I was worried about DJ Johnson's depth-wrecking departure, but I feel better about it having focused on Rousseau and Patchan and projecting their summer growth. We need another DT, as we all know. Let's see who it becomes.

LB

Didn't get to see much of them against the run yesterday. The LB position's success will be determined by their play in pass coverage.

DB

Frierson and Ivey look like they'll meet high expectations. Frierson made that INT, but his movements are better at CB than I had imagined. Ivey has great feet. I'm not worried about our corner situation. I'm still hoping someone jumps up at Safety as a rangy player who can rotate in. I had hoped it'd be Gurvan Hall. We shall see.

Overall

No need to make crazy conclusions. We tried a lot of stuff. We'll be better at QB than last year, but that doesn't mean it'll get us the same results in a different context. Diaz will need to stay in the lab to balance his penchant for zone with our need to get stops on 3rd down. Look forward to LOTS of summer growth.

CANEMC

Sophomore
Was there any motion by the WRs?

CANEMC

Sophomore
How did Amari look?

The Burns tidbit may be the best thing in this thread. It would be nice to have him go up the middle in short yardage and goalline and get what we need to get.

(I know, I know he needs to stay healthy.)

M3N

Senior
Thanks Lu!

I was pleading for the pistol look last year. It's the best set in the uptempo/RPO world to allow a RB to get a natural running start toward the line and doesn't really take a lot of the typical shotgun options away since you can still do a short drop and have your entire shotgun field view. The only thing it could limit is immediate set/throw short slants/bubble screens.

brock

All-American
This is a play where Jarren was looking to the left and then looked to the other side of the field and launched a rope to Hightower where only he could catch it

The offense scheme has me worried. I'm not gonna go down that path of talking new OC but it's hard to overlook.

Canesfan1899

All-American
Thanks for the info Lu. If you had to make a huge guess does Rosier keep his job or do you see one of the young pups taking over.

I heard him and smith were tattooing folks.
He and Smith were playing like they had no idea the offense was on the same team. Carter played boundary safety and Smith was lined up as the striker.

Question/Comment here.

Back in the stone ages when I played HS ball it was tough to get anything going on O because the D was familiar with all the plays.
CB's and safety's were jumping routes all scrimmage and coach would get ticked if i broke a route off.

There are obvious concerns regarding QB and OL. Last scrimmage we stunk. No excuses.
How much of the ineffectiveness can be attributed to the defenses familiarity of our offense?

Cane Dynasty

Thunderdome Survivor
Love the analysis Lu thx

I'll repeat here what I wrote to some of my friends off the board yesterday:

Coaching

Try my best not to read into what is shown in a Spring scrimmage, but can't help but notice what's trotted out there and what is called. On offense, we looked about the same with formations and what I envision is an eye toward attempting more power run game. At least I hope. They didn't try it yesterday, but it's what I envision from the pistol sets. I won't go too deeply into the playcalling. It's a Spring scrimmage and I imagine plays were called specifically to get stuff to review on tape. Offense still remains my primary concern in terms of what happens in meaningful games - on 3rd down and in the RZ.

In terms of defense, I didn't see us show anything we didn't show last year. An assortment of DB blitzes and split coverages. I had become increasingly concerned not with the defensive philosophy, but its execution. Plainly, we need to be better on 3rd down and we need to rely less on the zone blitzes that I *am* a fan of, but more selectively. The Nickel position will determine our year more than any position other than QB.

Speaking of QBs, I'll post what I wrote to my friends.In answering to a friend who had said all the QBs looked good, I wrote:

I didn't really see that, but I guess we all sum it up different ways. All QBs looked generally inconsistent to me - with varying differentials between their "good stuff" and "bad stuff." All made some very good throws. Rosier and Kosi made some bad ones. Williams looked like the most talented passer with the least differential between his "good" and "bad." He was also making only one read most of the time. I'll add he had far less opportunities than the others, so smaller sample size. Kosi made a couple 2nd read completions. I agree we'll be in better shape than last season. I expected more from Kosi, who executed some elite throws and then looked skittish. Sometimes on back to back plays.

I think what has to be memtioned and emphasized are two things Richt mentioned during his post game presser.
1) If this were a real game he would have tried to set up the offense for more max protection with Te's and RB's chipping the edge rushers.
2) He will take into consideration that Rosier was playing against the ones while the younger QBs were primarily playing against the 2nd team.

Canesfan1899

All-American
I mean at the end of the day the Defense is supposed to be ahead of the offense, I think my biggest concern is that we are terrible in the offensive line again. You would hope that the line could at least slow down the defense a little bit and from the sounds of it the first and second team defensive line feasted all day.

I mean at the end of the day the Defense is supposed to be ahead of the offense, I think my biggest concern is that we are terrible in the offensive line again. You would hope that the line could at least slow down the defense a little bit and from the sounds of it the first and second team defensive line feasted all day.
When it applies to your post Richt mentioned that the starting OL that was out there only practiced a grand total of two days together. Two whole days man. You can't expect to be a cohesive unit in that amount of time. Especially when going up against potentially one of the best Defensive units in the nation.

AJRob76

Sophomore
The offense scheme has me worried. I'm not gonna go down that path of talking new OC but it's hard to overlook.
It was an open scrimmage did you really expect to see a bunch of new wrinkles ?

Canesfan1899

All-American
l
When it applies to your post Richt mentioned that the starting OL that was out there only practiced a grand total of two days together. Two whole days man. You can't expect to be a cohesive unit in that amount of time. Especially when going up against potentially one of the best Defensive units in the nation.
I get it, but are you telling me you're feeling all warm and fuzzy about what we have on the OL right now. I guess I was being unrealistic in hoping that a kid like Hillery or Herbert would/could be the answer at T which would've allowed us to keep Donaldson at G.