RRA Article

FRCane

Sophomore
By JORGE MILIAN
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Updated: 9:41 p.m. Sunday, April 8, 2012
Posted: 8:54 p.m. Sunday, April 8, 2012
Post a Comment E-mail Print Share Larger Type
CORAL GABLES — Before the start of last season, Ray Ray Armstrong seemed to be the underclassman most likely to leave the University of Miami and enter the NFL Draft.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranked Armstrong as the 18th-best draft eligible prospect in the 2012 draft and the nation's top junior safety.

But Armstrong's junior season turned into an unmitigated disaster.

He piled up more suspensions (two) than interceptions (one) and missed nearly as many games (five) as he played (seven).

When it was time to decide whether he should return to Miami or skip off to the NFL, Armstrong chose to stay. Five of his teammates - Lamar Miller, Brandon Washington, Tommy Streeter, Marcus Forston and Olivier Vernon - turned pro.

Armstrong said "he tried to get those guys to come back" but never seriously thought of leaving himself.

"I come from a family where, when you start something, you finish it," Armstrong said.

Armstrong probably couldn't wait to finish last season. It started off poorly and didn't get much better.

Among the eight players suspended for accepting impermissible benefits from former UM booster Nevin Shapiro, Armstrong was one of the most severely disciplined. He was suspended four games by the NCAA and ordered to repay $788.

Armstrong was suspended for a fifth game - against Florida State - by coach Al Golden for a message he posted on his Twitter account. The tweet regarded a dinner Armstrong had with the owner of a public relations firm tied to NFL players. No NCAA rules were broken, but Golden suspended Armstrong anyway for his lack of good judgment.

Things weren't a whole lot better for the 6-foot-4, 218-pound Armstrong on the field. At times he appeared a step slow and was beaten on some big plays. Against Virginia, Armstrong bit on an end-around that resulted in a 37-yard touchdown pass in a game the Hurricanes would lose, 28-21. One UM coach said Armstrong was the culprit on four touchdowns scored by opponents during last season.

"He made too many mistakes," Golden said.

Except for a start against Duke, Armstrong was never able to break into the lineup.

"I think I could have done a lot better in a lot of situations," Armstrong said. "I didn't play how I was supposed to play. There were a lot of distractions last year. I wasn't really into it."

Armstrong got his groove back during UM's winter conditioning program, earning one of about 10 "black shirts" given to players by Golden for their performance in the team's "U-Tough" workouts.

After last season's nightmare, Golden said Armstrong "got the message."

"Great safeties all do the same three things: they defend the deep ball, get their team lined up and tackle well in the open field," Golden said. "I think we all know he gave up too many deep balls, he didn't get us all lined up like he needed to and he missed too many open-field tackles."

But, to Golden, Armstrong's dedication to getting better in the offseason means that "right now, I have no reason not to trust or believe in what he's doing."

With one week left in spring practice, Armstrong's work continues to get a thumbs up from Golden who said the safety is doing a "good job" but adds, "he's got to settle down and not press - let the plays come to him."

Golden is looking for playmakers on his defense. Six defensive starters are gone, as well as several other key players. Armstrong, a big hitter with excellent speed, will be counted on heavily.

"I felt I should come back and pick up where I left off my sophomore year," said Armstrong, the team leader with three interceptions in 2010. "I'm not a finished product yet."

Advertisement
"I felt I should come back and pick up where I left off my sophomore year," said Armstrong, the team leader with three interceptions in 2010.

laff

Yeah, he needs more than 3 picks and he does not have excellent speed, he should have been working with a track coach in the off season. I've heard he just needs to take better angles and needs to understand what the opponent needs in each specific drive... if they need a 1st down he needs to know these things if they need to go deep then he needs to know. Just dont think his game IQ is up to par, he is a **** good athlete though..

Advertisement
What could've been. He had all the chances to be the next great safety here, had no competition, and is still only marginally contributing to the D. Seems like he is 'all in' now, though, and it would be a great story for him and VT to light it up now that its their final year.

Advertisement
No one here expecting him to be able to react better to plays with another year in the same D system? I think that, plus trusting other players to make plays should translate to better all around individual performances by the D.

Jorge almost never writes an article about the UM football program unless there's some negativity he can smear in the faces of the reader.

Golden's trying to turn Palm Beach County around with recruits, but Milan continues his campaign to point out every negative aspect of the Miami football program.

I have pretty much stopped reading him, and wish I had not wasted my time reading the posted article.

I throw articles by Jorge and Bianchi in the same bucket, i.e., wasted space, although at least Bianchi is sometimes entertaining.

Advertisement
RA reminds me of Al Blades in 2000. We used him as a strong safety/extra LBer in the box most of the time because he lacked speed and coverage skills. He was great at making tackles though which is something Ray Ray is not. I remember AL blitzing most passing downs too. It helped we have Buch and Rumph in coverage. This was before Shannon took over our defense and made it into a strict cover 2.

Advertisement
Does anybody know what he runs in the 40?

I'm guessing somewhere around 4.6

He also isn't agile at all, no quick change of direction

Advertisement
Back