Rewatching the BCC game, defensive notes

Insanecane

Junior
Banned
1. We blitzed a lot more this game than Kansas St or Boston College.
2. Blitzing did put pressure on the QB/RB. Unfortunately the blitzer allowed the QB/RB to break containment on several occasions for big gains. This isn't scheme here, but on players failing to take good angles and tackle well. I saw this from corners, safeties and linebackers.
3. DL is still not applying much of a passrush, and that of course doesn't help if the blitzer whiffs on the QB we have no one there to help corral him.
4. BCC's offensive line looked pretty big and physical, yet our DT's held their ground for the most part. Holding your ground is the first step, but the next step is shedding the block and helping make the play. That is what seperates a good run defense vs a mediocre-bad run defense.
5. Corners played well. I saw some mixing up of coverage (10 yards off vs press) before the snap which was encouraging.
6. Bush did very well at safety for his first true start. Rangy, covers space well. Needs to tackle better but is willing to mix it up. He is a true free safety IMO. We still need to find that hard hitter who can put the fear in the oppositions wr's.

Overall I did see more agressiveness and change ups of coverage, which is good. I still did not see a lot of stunts from the DL. Did not see a lot of penetration techniques by the DL as well. No spins, rips, swims, punches etc. I am not sure what the DL coach is doing but teaching passrushing technique doesn't seem to be one of the things he is doing.
My point is the scheme seems to be getting better, ala what Coach Golden said would happen after the Kansas St beatdown. We still have a long way to go however before we can become a good consistent defense. Losing players like Perryman, Buchanon, Porter doesn't help either.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I know twice we blitzed and Buthune ran screens both times which is the perfect call. The first went for a big gain. The 2nd one they dropped the pass or it would have been a huge gain as well.

I know twice we blitzed and Buthune ran screens both times which is the perfect call. The first went for a big gain. The 2nd one they dropped the pass or it would have been a huge gain as well.

One of the things I forgot to mention is that we are still working on better disguising the blitz. For example, we blitzed a lot of 3rd downs. BCC's coach eventually caught on and called a couple of screens. You are right, that second one, had the RB caught it, would have been a huge gainer if not an outright TD. We also have a habit right now of telegraphing our blitzes. I know when the safety or corner is going to blitz. That has to change or a more cerebral QB will eat us up. I would like to see some less telegraphed delayed blitzes by the linebackers. Dan Morgan and Nate Webster were ruthless at coming right up the gut untouched on a half a second or so delayed blitz.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back